Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Somthin Stinks

Old 06-30-2003, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somthin Stinks

Hi,

I'm new here and hopin after someone hears my story they'll take pity and help me out after they stop laughing.

Toyota Tacoma, 2wd, extended cab with the AC package. We had the first hot day of the summer last week, turned the AC on and the whole dash starts shaking and rumbling. Shut fan on and off and tried with AC off, same thing. I figure... go figure the first F#$@ time I need the AC and the fan motors s*&^ the bed, and just a month past warranty!

Anyway, I live on an Island, no dealer, and you have to make an appointment a month ahead to get a decent mechanic. Can't get the truck off on the ferry for at least a couple of weeks anyway because of all the friendly tourists. Take a flight off over to America for the weekend and leave myt truck in the lot in the heat. When I get back yesterday and unlock the truck I ALMOST KEEL OVER FROM THE SMELL... SOMETHING'S DEFINETELY DEAD. Well I put 2 and 3 together on the ride home, and come up with 4... I just can't figure out how the little sh*&s got in there.

I got the glove box out and it looks like you can't get the fan off without pulling the whole AC unit. Anyone know if that's the case? Anyway to drop the AC without disconnecting the coolant? Anybody have any hints, suggestions, or schematics/pics? I'm expecting the maggots to crawl out the vents anytime now, and there's no way I'm gonna get anyone to touch this thing the way it is. Help!

Thanks

Frank

Frank
Old 06-30-2003, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your unlucky situation. An old girlfriend had a cat climb up into the motor, wasn't pretty when she started the vehicle. You got full comprehensive insurance, your on an island, lots of water? Deep water. Start the vehicle, dump the tranny in 'D' and send the rig to a Viking funeral off the pier/beach.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:30 PM

OK, I've composed myself. I think the air draws in through the cowl at the base of the windshield. DId you look in there. I think a mouse or something got in through there and is pinned in the fan. I think to get that blower unit out, you need to pull the entire dash out (not sure though)

Good luck - sounds like you'll need it.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Sac State
Start the vehicle, dump the tranny in 'D' and send the rig to a Viking funeral off the pier/beach.
Now that's funny!
Old 06-30-2003, 05:53 PM

Start the vehicle, dump the tranny in 'D' and send the rig to a Viking funeral off the pier/beach.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's funny!

That's not as funny as it sounds, if I have 1 maggot fall on me while I'm staring up into that jumble of black plastic it's probably gonna end up a canoe!

BTW, How hard is it to take the dash out? I GOT ME A NICE SHARP CHISEL OUGHTA GO RIGHT THROUGH THAT FAKE LEATHER STUFF!
Old 06-30-2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Fdutra
BTW, How hard is it to take the dash out? I GOT ME A NICE SHARP CHISEL OUGHTA GO RIGHT THROUGH THAT FAKE LEATHER STUFF!
Easy cheetah! It's just bolted in. Leave yourself a whole day to remove the entire thing. I'm not sure if it needs to come out to remove the blower unit. Anyone switched one of these out?
Old 07-01-2003, 04:34 AM

HEY GUYS,

Seriously... where do I start to tear this thing apart? You oughta get a wift this morning... ahhh the smell of fresh mown mouse!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:03 AM

OK- for anyone else who needs to know. Heater fan drops easily out with 3 8 mm screws visible after removing glove box hinge support bar. Dead mouse removal requires strong stomach. The poor guy must have been stuck in there for awhile judging my the number of fan fins he chewed through. He was kind enough to do it in a way that didn't affect the balance or cause any vibrations.

Frank
Old 07-02-2003, 09:41 AM

now, hopefully the smell goes away!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

. Dead mouse removal requires strong stomach. The poor guy must have been stuck in there for awhile judging my the number of fan fins he chewed through. He was kind enough to do it in a way that didn't affect the balance or cause any vibrations.

Frank
That WAS kind of him. he must have known what he was doing. Did you throw him on the grill and eat him with a bowl of Farva beans and a nice bottle of Chianti?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

ewwwwwwww
Old 07-02-2003, 03:09 PM

quote:

That WAS kind of him. he must have known what he was doing. Did you throw him on the grill and eat him with a bowl of Farva beans and a nice bottle of Chianti?

REALLY NOW, Everyone who's anyone knows you only serve Favish with white meat or fish.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

How did I miss this thread. LOL!
Old 07-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

quote:

REALLY NOW, Everyone who's anyone knows you only serve Favish with white meat or fish.
So then, smart guy, I guess Hannibal Lecter was a nobody because he served them with red human meat.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:08 PM

NOW YOU GET IT!

Fresh red and Favish with a nice Rosee- excellent

Putrified red and Favish-never!

Always serve your Putrified Red meats with rice, and a nice fruity white so as to bring out the not so delicate bouquet of rotted flesh.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

NOW YOU GET IT!

Fresh red and Favish with a nice Rosee- excellent

Putrified red and Favish-never!

Always serve your Putrified Red meats with rice, and a nice fruity white so as to bring out the not so delicate bouquet of rotted flesh.
So your saying Hannibal was nobody! I've got some meal planning to do my friend.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:18 PM

Enjoy!

BTW, Hanibal had it right, that body was fresh frozen.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Enjoy!

BTW, Hanibal had it right, that body was fresh frozen.
I think I understand now, I thought you were saying red meat doesn't go with the beans. but it does as long as it's not rotting.