Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Someone broke into my truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 02:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone broke into my truck

Someone broke into my pickup a few days ago and stole all of my CDs, my JL sub, and messed up my door and outer door handle to boot.

Insurance is covering the repairs and replaement of audio equipment but I'm pissed that this happened right by my house too. I'm considering getting one of those silent alarms that just pages you when someone is disturbing the truck.

Well from now on I will always be taking all my audio equipment out of the truck if leaving it parked outside for a prolonged period of time. I guess it's the price I've gotta pay if I want to enjoy my equipment.

If you had one of these and you snuck up on some trash breaking into your 'yota, what would you do? What would you bring with you? What would you say???

I would take a bat with me (one of those really light aluminum ones for a fast swing) and I would take a really good swing at the person's head, hopefully knocking some teeth out. Would that be justified?

If you have an alarm system like this (one that pages you when the alarm goes off or is supposed to go off), which one are you using? What's the range like? Would it be loud enough to wake you up at night?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a DEI Python 650 model.
I do have the pager added to it, and I think it has a one mile range.

The pager unit sits on my headboard, and I can hear it if it beeps, and I sleep with earplugs during the work week.

What would I do?
Can't really be discussed here, it might incriminate me.
I have no pity for one who breaks into vehicles.

Believe it or not, crooks have rights too, so you really need to be up on the law if you are going to take a swing at them.
They could end up suing you.
I know it stinks, but our justice system sucks at times, and the punks sometimes have more rights than we do when defending our personal property.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your truck.
I guess if you are going to get sued for defending your truck you better make it worth it and get as many swings in as possible.
I didn't get an alarm with the paging stuff but I wish I did now. My alarm is pretty loud and has a unique sound but if I'm in a movie or at dinner it doesn't do me much good. Good to hear that insurance is covering it though.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by maherj
Sorry to hear about your truck.
I guess if you are going to get sued for defending your truck you better make it worth it and get as many swings in as possible.
I didn't get an alarm with the paging stuff but I wish I did now. My alarm is pretty loud and has a unique sound but if I'm in a movie or at dinner it doesn't do me much good. Good to hear that insurance is covering it though.
Here are some options to incorporate into your alarm :pat:
http://www.maximonline.com/stupid_fu...rticle_26.html

....or perhaps these?
http://www.gettingit.com/article/69

ok.....I really want one!!!

Seriously a paging alarm is a much better option.
I like the Viper XV791 made by DEI.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your rig man!

I dont think its worth an ADW. What if the guy is armed? You dont know what he might have on him.

You have the right to make a citizens arrest I think, using reasonable and prudent force to hold him until law enforcement gets there.

I would call 911, then I would go out there and blast him with pepper spray, then zip tie and duct tape him to a cactus. But I would still be taking a risk. I would have to evaluate what I was getting myself into. Is the guy 6'4" 225? Is it just a kid? I have a wife to take care of, and I am not losing my life over a piece of machinery, or some piece of crap thief.

My .02
Old 02-03-2004, 08:16 AM

Sorry to hear about you rig, I hate thieves, can't they just buy their own ˟˟˟˟˟ instead stealing other people hard earned things. Some of the stuff in South Africa are crazy, they don't ˟˟˟˟˟ around over there, here some some stuff I found:

The Tranquilizer:
A gun is positioned under the driver’s seat with the barrel facing out the door. When a car-hungry thief opens the door, surprise! His nuts are blown out the back of his jeans. The bullet used, incidentally, is a 308—the one hunters use to kill buffalo.

The Swing Blade:
A pair of three-foot swords connected to springs underneath the car swing out and amputate the legs of your assailant.

The Blaster:
At the approach of a potential auto poacher, the driver steps on a switch that sends liquified gas flowing into nozzles on the outside of each car door. A spark is added, and—whoosh!—a seven-foot fireball shoots from each door, engulfing your attacker in a wall of flames. If this poses an ethical dilemma, don’t worry: Inventor Charl Fourie promises that the Blaster is designed so it won’t “damage the paint work or any part of your car.”
Old 02-03-2004, 08:19 AM

I'm with Corey...

Can't really be discussed here, it might incriminate me.
Although, it would definitely involve a hell of a lot of "really good swing(s) at the person's head, hopefully knocking some teeth out."

But what I'm thinking is that, since the laws can be screwy and you get sued for maiming them, just walk up and start talking crap like, "What the hell do you think you're doing to my truck? You want to be my b*tch? Come get some."

That way, they come at you, and wow, I just happened to have this bat in my hand to use for self defense.

Anyway, sorry to hear. :pat:

Last edited by tenfourtyeight; 02-03-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:23 AM

Best protection against break-ins is not leaving anything in plain sight.

Do not jeopardize your welfare, and/or your family's, over a subwoofer box. Making someone a handicap over petty theft is not fitting and the legal troubles will only be the beginning of your grief.

Screw down your subwoofers and they will destroy everything in sight.
Screw with them and they will screw with you, indefinitely.
It’s not worth it.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't be swinging at anybody since theft doesn't make assualt right plus like stated before this country has devious lawyers that with which you might end up in jail instead of the thief.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:38 AM

Thieves are scum. They will continue to steel. I think i would go after his knees with the bat. Then he cant run off. Call the cops.
The odds of you catching someone i think is pretty low. It will probably take you a while to get over someone stealing your stuff and going through your personal belongings. It happened to me when i was young and i was really pissed for about a year.They tore everything out of my 68 mustang.It was a real shock.
Anyways. Get an alarm system,take your cds inside. Buy a heavy bag and take out your anger on that.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:03 AM
Nic

Most people are going to be a victim of crime at some point in his/her life. I have been a victim of theft and vandalism a few times. It pisses you off and you wonder what you could have done or would have done if you could have the caught the person in the act.

Just two weeks ago, I came home (in my car) only to notice my driver's side truck door was ajar. When I opened the truck door I saw a used cigarette on my seat. I don't smoke. I then noticed the ash try was open. Apparently someone went in it looking for change. I always lock my door, but this ONE time I had forgotten. I was infuriated, but thankful that no damage was done. I only had a little portable air compressor behind the seat, but they didn't take it.

I dwelled on that for days.

Just try to be prepared as much as possible. Its not a question of if its going to happen to you, but when. Thieves always strike when you least expect it. That's what they do.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Banned

I installed a Mossberg 590A1 and an XM15E2S Bushmaster
Sorry you got ripped off man. To have your rig parked right out front and still get five fingered really blows! At least you kept the rig To those of you who are so inclined: add a kill switch on the feul pump, or just rip out the fuel relay when leaving the truck/ rig unattended.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

I'll bet if I can crack their skull they won't be able to sue. Damn i'm pissed

See, the problem with replys like "I don't want legal troubles" and "it's not worth the risk" are the kinds of replys that encourage thievery.

"Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed" - the California Rifle and Pistol Association.

If more people actually did something about crimes that had been commited against them, then perhaps criminals would think twice before doing anything.

Last edited by ByThaBay; 02-03-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

I totally agree. If hes is low enough to take someone elses things I think if you catch them you should be able to beat the ˟˟˟˟˟ out of them. In some countries they have very low crime rates cause the punishment is serve. If he knew he would be paralized he would think twice before trying to break in. I think a bat or two to the head is exactly what he needs. America is too politically correct and people need to face the music and deal with these issues and not try to push them off and hope they wont happen again.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Why do I feel that TOYOTAS in general (!!) are targeted a lot by theifs?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:08 AM

Because we don't spend all the cash moneys on repairs and can buy and place shiny thingies all about inside our vehicles.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by 4RUNR
Because we don't spend all the cash moneys on repairs and can buy and place shiny thingies all about inside our vehicles.
Well you 3RD GEN folks can say that but us 2ND GEN aren't that lucky...
Old 02-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4RUNR
Good point!
Old 02-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Just 4 months ago I had a 93 Toyota PU and had it parked in my driveway..no alarm.
but they brroke out 3 windows and just took my head unit and nothing else...did much more damage to the truck then what the unit would cost...get this..they only took the faceplate..and left the rest of the unit.
I park all my stuff in my garage now..
bastards..all of them
Old 02-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tenfourtyeight
....just walk up and start talking crap like, "What the hell do you think you're doing to my truck? You want to be my b*tch? Come get some."

Quick Reply: Someone broke into my truck