Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Somebody please explain this to me

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:51 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody please explain this to me

I changed my plugs and wires yesterday cuz they have been since the new engine was dropped in 3-4yrs ago, and I figured what the h*ll the other half was pissed off cuz I won't work on her Eclipse....so I go hit autozone and bought ngk-r plugs, like the FSM says. Bought the autolight wires and a few other things.
I get home start workin. Everythings going pretty smooth. Didn't run into any problems the whole job. But this is what I need some clarifaction on...

#2 #4 #6 plugs where all ngk-r's
#1 #3 #5 plugs were Denso's

Ok, my question is why? The toy motor uses 1 plug per cyl for both the intake and exhuast.
What is the advantage, if any, of running 2 different sets of plugs at once. I always thought that the FSM gave ya both names just as in either/or prefernce call.

Could I have mis understood the FSM w/ me thinking that it didn't matter which brand plug to buy?

I had a nissan hardbody or 2 back in the day w/ the napz motor and you had to buy 2 sets of plugs becuased it used aplug 4 the intake and and a plug for the exhuast per cyl ::meaning 8 plugs total for nissan eng.

And the more I think,and try to figure it out in the head....I keep telling myself it used both ngk-r and the densos for a reason, and now I'm starting to second guess my own work and knowledge and I don't like second guessing myself....bad vibes.....

Would some enlighten me please?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I had a '90 3.slow and always used all Denso's... Can't tell ya' why about the 3 vs. 3...

But most importantly, about the "plug" for your little sister's band... THAT'S ONE HELL OF A LITTLE SISTER!!!! Cool!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:11 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Okay, first off a minor point - the 2-plug-per-cyl engine doesn't use a plug for the intake and a plug for the exhaust. It uses intake and exhaust valves for that. The plugs just make spark for detonation, which does not occur at either the intake stroke or the exhaust stroke, but somewhere in between the two near the top of the compression stroke.... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

Anyway, what probable happened is someone got lazy and started a plug job and didn't finish. Or possibly they just goofed and grabbed a mismatched set somehow. But there is no good reason to mix plugs that way, and actually very good reason NOT to. Various brands have slightly (or even greatly!) different resistance and spark qualities - they should never be mixed. Modern computers may be able to compensate for it, but on older engines it would raise havoc.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually, lots of toyotas come from the factory w/ denso's on one side and ngk's on the other...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/30k-service-64103/

you can go back w/ either/or ngk or denso. it apparently doesn't matter as long as it's either/or...
Old 08-01-2005, 10:44 AM

Did I miss something? Nothing in that thread suggests they might come from the factory that way. Kind of odd that. Port and Starboard heads assembled on different lines maybe?..
Old 08-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Koz

I have a 98 Taco, I bought new. At 50K miles I decided to change the plugs. Yes, 3 NGKs and 3 Denso. Also the NGKs were like new and the Denso's looked like they had 50K miles of wear.

Koz
Old 08-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was just stating that it may have come that way from japan. lot's of 3rd gens if not all have denso on one side and ngk on the other...

very strange, but very true...
Old 08-01-2005, 01:55 PM

Just when you think you've heard it all. How odd.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:03 PM

Same here, '97 V6 4Runner. NGK's in one cylinder head, Denso's in the other. Toyota must have had a reason for doing it that way, it would be interesting to know the reason.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

any one every called a dealer to ask em why? Also I'd watch those Autolite wires I had mine fail in about 2 days on the same motor, got my money back atleast.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

We went around with this issue on TTORA a couple of years back. Several of us sought answers from Toyota and various dealers and no one was ever able to crack the case and get a good answer why so many trucks come with one brand in one bank and the other in the other bank.

But, for what it's worth, we had dozens of folks chime in that their rigs had come that way as well. We even found several dealers who replace them that way. But no one seems to know why.

Interestingly enough, the FSM for the V6 lists the following;

Recommended spark plug:
DENSO made K16TR11
NGK made BKR5EKB–11

But makes no mention of using BOTH brands or anything about which bank should get which brand.

There seems to be no ill effect from running both or one or the other...

A classic Toyota mystery, along the lines of the missing grab bar on the 2001 Tacoma, the lousy clock position in the Tacoma, the poor placement of the V6 oil filter, the whole 2005 Tacoma and many others...

Last edited by WATRD; 08-01-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:49 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Yeah, I called Toyota in A.V. and they said the same thing that you guys did.Sucks that Toyota dealers out here open 9:00 in morning......

Flamed, I only "described" the nissan napz motor in in basic laymen's terms, I just wasn't in the mood to do all that typing....

Thank you gentlemen