Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

So my dad is looking at the '03 4Runner or the Highlander...

Old 07-09-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So my dad is looking at the '03 4Runner or the Highlander...

Some of you might recognize me from the 4x4wire forum... and I have been active on the Indiana trail-rides forum here. I figured that there were a lot of '03 owners here...

Here's what he wants... a 4x4 SUV with leather, decent power, a sunroof, and a power driver's seat for $32k. He doesn't keep cars for very long, so the residual value is important.

Anyway, what kind of deals have ya'll been getting on 2003 4Runners? Are there any rebates out there right now? What kind of discount off of MSRP? He will be buying it in Texas, where he has to deal with $$$ worth of port-installed options. (I know this because I bought my 2000 4Runner in Texas).

Also, is the X-REAS suspension worth the money and hassle of finding it if he uses the vehicle 99.99% on pavement?

He is also considering the Highlander. While I kinda doubt he'll buy one, what kind of deal should he expect? I think he'll be more likely to go for a truck-like SUV, but who knows.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:18 AM

It's gonna be tough to find a Limited 4WD around 32k. I drove a sport w/XREAS and you can tell that it was more level around turns. I decided against the XREAS and rear air ride only because I want to lift my truck.

If your dad wants more of a car ride than he should go with the Highlander. In my opinion the 4Runner has a real smooth ride and feels alot more solid.

Hope this helps.

-Serge
Old 07-09-2003, 08:36 AM

I dont see why the Pathfinder couldnt be one of the choice?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

I only can help you with the X-REAS part of the question. It is mainly for on-road situations to keep the vehicle level. The shocks are connected diagonally. I hear that the off-roaders benefit more from the shocks connected directly side to side. Toyota should have added a switch to change how the system connects the shocks for either on-road (diagonal) or off-road (side to side).
Old 07-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there's $1,000 customer cash back on any leftover Tupperware models with the grey cladding. Otherwise there are finance incentives varying by region.

You'll find nearly universal praise for X-REAS. The system works to improve on-road performance, and is a worthwhile option.

If he wants leather, you'll be looking at a Limited. The V-8 Limited had a price increase, while most of the rest had price cuts, so residual should remain healthy for that model anyway.

Some early adopters reported deals near invoice, although be skeptical and ask for a number. One shopper's invoice deal won't translate to another region due to different advertising charges, freight and PIO's like you said.

If he can wait for an '04, tell him to contact a Fleet & Internet Manager, order to his spec and color, and avoid any advertising and overpriced PIO's. Otherwise residual on an '03 will decline in a couple of months when the '04's are released. A fleet buyer typically buys around $100 over net invoice (invoice-holdback-advertising-incentives), the way I've done it for years plus I get the exact vehicle I want. Yet another reason to get a business license. Good luck...
Old 07-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

You can get leather in all trim levels. Maybe SE Toyota is doing the conversion, but I have seen SR5 and SE with leather and not just on 'token' vehicles.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:08 AM
FROSTY

check out edmunds.com car discussions--they have a ton in there about the price of both 4Runners and highlanders etc.

FROSTY
Old 07-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, I second the Edmunds route. I just bought an 03 for 31,080. The MSRP on the window after dealer installed options was 36,800 or somewhere close. Edmunds gave me a True Market Value (TMV) of 32,080 for that vehicle in my area. I had edmunds send like four request for quotes out, all four dealers responded within a day and all prices were nearly what my TMV was. After some "dancing" with the manager, I ended up getting it for 31,080. The sales people and the managers aren't really in touch with the online quoting system, at least here. When I took my quoted price in, the salesperson obviously was already beaten down, so was the manager. In fact they were downright unhappy about it from the start.

Good Luck, I would choose the Runner. 4x4 holds a value better, IMHO.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:07 PM

I say if your Dad don't keep the stuff for long than why limit yourself to just the imports, my Uncle and Grandpa keep cars 2 years, they buy Caddies, Lincolns, Lexus, 2 years and less than 15k they basically sell them to others who don't believe in buying new but will buy a used car for practically the same price as a new car:pat: talk about stupid but hey they actually make money and why they keep doing it.

Im gonna start screw the Highlander, get an RX330 those things are multipling like rabbits where I live, obviously 40k is not a lot of money

But if he goes with a truck then get a 4Runner, when I was at the Chevy dealer they where practically throwing a Trailblazer at me, sticker was 40k something and they said they would drop like 12k off but still it drove like it had 110k on it so I passed
Old 07-09-2003, 10:14 PM

thanks for the responses.

I'm a little curious about the Pathfinder suggestion... why? It's a very nice vehicle, but it's relatively dated in comparison to the competition. It's only moderately changed (with the 3.5 as the exception) since its release in 1997. There's a new Pathy on the horizon, not to mention that in Nissan's lineup the Murano makes the Pathy redundant.

He's looking at the Grand Cherokee, Disco II, 4Runner, ML320, and that's about it. I don't want this thread to become a discussion on which vehicle is best for him as I'll let him decide that for himself. Having owned both a 3rd gen 4Runner and a WJ Grand Cherokee, I'll say that I am strongly opinionated on this subject and ya'll aren't going to like much of what I would have to say. Rather, I'm just hoping to give him some advice as to what to pay for the vehicle.

So from what I've gleaned from this, a little bit under Edmunds' TMV is reasonable? When I bought my '00, discounts were minimal. Mine (a Limited with virtually no port options)listed for 38k and with considerable negotiation and -dare I say it- a terrific salesmonkey, I was able to get it for a little under $35k. Granted, this was in January 2000, but the vehicles weren't exactly difficult to get. I just had to have the dealership transfer for one with the rear locker.

Are the 4th gens selling as well as the 3rd gens? I realize that the economy is quite different now from what it was in 2000, but at that time my Toyota dealership couldn't keep a 4Runner in stock for more than a few weeks without selling it, thus the small discount.

Finally, is it no longer possible to get a Sport with the side airbags? I can't get the option to come up on a 4x4 V8 on www.shopatgst.com (the Gulf States Toyota website). It'll come up on a Limited.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:20 PM

Another vehicle he might want to consider is the new VW Toureag (Not sure if I spelled it right or not) it's VW's First SUV, and to me it looks really bad ass And if I remember right it's priced ~$30k

-Braden
Old 07-10-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by 91Runner
Another vehicle he might want to consider is the new VW Toureag (Not sure if I spelled it right or not) it's VW's First SUV, and to me it looks really bad ass And if I remember right it's priced ~$30k

-Braden

While I was in town I took him car-shopping and we drove it. We were both sorely disapointed since we had read so much about it. It's beautifully built, has all the right features (rear diff lock!), a stunning interior, and a great ride. But the handling feels so disconnected. It's very light steering that's very fast. It was not a confidence-inspiring vehicle. The visibility was pretty bad, too. They will sell a ton of htem, but neither of us felt comfortable driving it. BTW, base is $35k. With leather and power seats it's about $39k. Lots of money, but a decent value. Comes standard with lots of features.

He's going to look at the 4Runner today. I'll see what he has to say.

andrew
Old 07-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Andrew
Are the 4th gens selling as well as the 3rd gens? I realize that the economy is quite different now from what it was in 2000, but at that time my Toyota dealership couldn't keep a 4Runner in stock for more than a few weeks without selling it, thus the small discount.
Really depends on the area, when I bought my 2003 Limited V8 I got one of the last V8 models they had, the 1st dealer I was gonna get it from sold 10 V8 Limiteds in a day, the unpainted cladding has a rebate of 1500 cause noone is buying them but now the painted ones come in and the next day they are sold, V8 or V6.

In my neck of the wood the 4Runners seem to be an upscale vehicle that demand a pretty high price, even the left over 2002 models where selling at close to sticker when the 2003 where coming in.

The economy might not be doing that great but Toyota has sold more 2003 4Runners then 2002 4Runners
Old 07-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Question

"not to mention that in Nissan's lineup the Murano makes the Pathy redundant."

Have you or your dad actually taken a good look at the Murano? Sure it's sexy and cool but it lacks the cargo room of the Pathfinder (with the rear seats up or down).
Old 07-10-2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by PA bound
"not to mention that in Nissan's lineup the Murano makes the Pathy redundant."

Have you or your dad actually taken a good look at the Murano? Sure it's sexy and cool but it lacks the cargo room of the Pathfinder (with the rear seats up or down).

Yeah, I have driven one. It's smaller in the back, I will agree. But the actual passenger space is much better utilized in the Murano. No surprise there since it's a newer design. I'm not saying anything bad about the Pathfinder- I seriously considered one myself, but it is similarly sized and priced in the Nissan lineup. Sure, it's more of a "truck," but how many buyers take them off road? With the 4Runner v. Highlander- the 4Runner is considerably more rugged and off road capable than the Highlander.

I'll keep ya'll updated as to what he does. He was leaning towards a Land Rover Discovery last I talked to him... apparently they are doing $3500 rebates right now.

andrew
Old 07-10-2003, 02:00 PM

Got a buddy who is a Land Rover mechanic. Let's just say he is always busy. He drives a 4Runner.

Bitchin' 4WD system, I'll give it that much.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:09 PM

Land Rover, if it's not leaking it's out of oil
Old 07-11-2003, 05:35 AM

Pathfinder=$6k off MSRP....last one I had cost me some $$$ in repairs over 5+years of ownership....Only got $9K out of it when I sold it.

'03 4runner Limited=I purchased for a few hundred under invoice. I wanted to wait for a sport w/factory painted cladding, but they were telling me $1k over invoice.....so that $4-5k or so difference between the limited and sport was more like $3- 3.5K. So I opted for the Limited. I'm guessing fewer repairs compared to my Pathfinder.....way better technology, just a better 4X4 all the way around....the ride is night and day difference....resale at the end of 2, 3, or 5 yrs ????? But I bet it is better that a current Pathfinder model.

Highlander....forget it, he wants a 4X4 right? Don't get me wrong, we owned a Camry also for 4+ years....I just never found the need for a 4X4 Camry

Last edited by Dude; 07-11-2003 at 05:36 AM.