Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

size lift to fit 33'S

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
size lift to fit 33'S

i recently bought a 94 four runner and was curious what kinda lift I will need for to fit 33" mtr's? I already have the downeys in the back but I know I need to go bigger.. Just some suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thanx
Old 12-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

if you already ahve the downeys, and want to fit some 33s, you could get away with running a 1 inch BL and pounding the fenderseam a bit. dont quote me on that one though.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by doink
if you already have the downeys, and want to fit some 33s, you could get away with running a 1 inch BL and pounding the fenderseam a bit. dont quote me on that one though.
You can quote me though, cause that's what I'm running. Alot of it depends on your wheel backspacing too. Keep it pretty close to stock backspacing (4.25" for the 15x7 factory alloys)

Make this 1001 times this has been covered now...
Old 12-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby

Make this 1001 times this has been covered now...

ha, i was just thinking the same thing:
Old 12-07-2003, 04:06 PM

I don't know much but here is my imput. I'm doing the same thing and what I suggest is a 4 inch suspention lift. Give or take a half inch. But what some people might not tell you is that your current wheels may not work which means you might need rims and then the tires may stick out past the body and your rig and it may not pass state inspection. Then you will have to put fender flairs on. Check out my thread on bushwacker fender flairs on a 91 4-runner. Bottom line is do it right and investigate all the posibilities. You want your rig to look good as well as perform. This means no tire rub. I know it all costs lots of money but you have the tool. The internet. You can teach yourself and buy the needed items at a great price. Good luck with your venture and post pictures on your rig when you finish it.

Ps. soory about the spelling, I'm not perfect!
Old 12-07-2003, 04:50 PM

Hey, here is one that I know I have not posted before. It is my 95 Runner on 33" MT/R's living it up in Colorado.

You need about 1" of lift and some fender seam adjusting to do this.

I would not waste my money on an IFS lift if you intend to wheel it, your net gain will be nothing.

Ad nauseum...
Old 12-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

yep, id have to agree with flygtenstein--

i have the 4 inch lift, while he doesnt. ive done some pretty hard stuff before, but it seems to me flygtenstein, without "doing it right" as you have put it, has tackled some pretty difficult stuff...i dont know if any of this has made sence or not, so..bahh in retro spect, i wish i did it like him and could have had some more money for lockers etc. just my .02
Old 12-07-2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
Hey, here is one that I know I have not posted before. ....... Ad nauseum...
Old 12-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Blue Light Special

Lift information on aisle 4!

Old 12-07-2003, 06:05 PM

Doink, I forget your first name, but this pertains none the less. I do not mean to bag on you since you are a perfectly agreeable and college aged collegue of mine. The following are my humble thoughts on this issue which will likely sit unread until I reach "advice god" on this forum.

IFS lifts blow. They add brackets and otherwise weaken a system that seems to work well in it's "stock" form. The rear link brackets alone would have last me about a trip and a half this summer before being ripped off or beaten into a form of straight that more closely resembles Richard Simmons than a suspension bracket.

Getting a rig on 33's is the cut-off for hard wheeling. Anything less is quite disappointing. Most ratings state a bottom limit of 33's for anything approaching tough.

A person can get on 33's for less, have a stronger suspension, identical articulation, and let us not forget a lower, rig with identical ground clearance at the diffs.

I have wheeled Moab, Martinez Canyon, parts of Colorado and a few odd trips in New Mexico along with the mud and snow in Wisconsin. Lots of these trips required one locker, most required that I push both magic buttons. An IFS lift would have left me broken, stranded and swearing, three things that I really do not like.

So, for me, an IFS lift is worse than putting lipstick on a pig. It is quick and dirty to get on 33's, the money saved can be put in things that are hard to see, like lockers.

Doink, no love lost. Just wanted to set the story straight, and that is a brand new picture!
Old 12-07-2003, 06:13 PM

The following are my humble thoughts on this issue which will likely sit unread until I reach "advice god" on this forum.
What? "Elitist Gearhead" isn't good enough for you?

If it's any consolation, you're "my" advice god...

Next up for me, 2 magic buttons...
Old 12-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Doink, I forget your first name, but this pertains none the less. I do not mean to bag on you since you are a perfectly agreeable and college aged collegue of mine. The following are my humble thoughts on this issue which will likely sit unread until I reach "advice god" on this forum.

IFS lifts blow. They add brackets and otherwise weaken a system that seems to work well in it's "stock" form. The rear link brackets alone would have last me about a trip and a half this summer before being ripped off or beaten into a form of straight that more closely resembles Richard Simmons than a suspension bracket.

Getting a rig on 33's is the cut-off for hard wheeling. Anything less is quite disappointing. Most ratings state a bottom limit of 33's for anything approaching tough.

A person can get on 33's for less, have a stronger suspension, identical articulation, and let us not forget a lower, rig with identical ground clearance at the diffs.

I have wheeled Moab, Martinez Canyon, parts of Colorado and a few odd trips in New Mexico along with the mud and snow in Wisconsin. Lots of these trips required one locker, most required that I push both magic buttons. An IFS lift would have left me broken, stranded and swearing, three things that I really do not like.

So, for me, an IFS lift is worse than putting lipstick on a pig. It is quick and dirty to get on 33's, the money saved can be put in things that are hard to see, like lockers.

Doink, no love lost. Just wanted to set the story straight, and that is a brand new picture!
yeah, i completely agree man. in retrospect, if i had it to do all over again, i would have gone your route...but, cant turn back time:pat:
Old 12-08-2003, 02:29 AM

well thank you for all the help.. I was thinking IFS, but now I may go the other way.. I understand everyone flaming me for asking such a simple question. I understand the search function and everything but I wouldn't get the difference of opinion with the search.. SO thank you to those who gave and answer and didn't rolll there eyes..
jake