Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

simple question for 2" lift, ps, i already searched

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simple question for 2" lift, ps, i already searched

hi all! before you flame me, i have searched quite a bit, but just havn't been able to find the exact answer i need. i just got some 32" mt's for my 99 4runner sr5. looks like im gonna need a 2" suspension lift. i'd rather just get a 2" lift spring rather than use spacers. so my main question is, will the stock size shock work, length wise? or will it be too short? i was thinking of going with the bilsteins. also, with only a 2" lift, i wont need anything besides the shocks and springs right? at that height i shouldn't have to drop anything else. thanks for all replys

jon
Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

to fit 265/75/16s, you dont need a lift at all.

you can use your stock springs, it all depends on which lift springs you are going to get. Also, you might want to invest in a diff. drop to save the CV's.

Performance products makes a spring to use in inconjunction with the Bilsteins.

www.wheelersoffroad.com has OME stuff
www.4crawler.com has diff drops and body lifts
www.sonoransteel.com has other stuff you are going to need ie: extended bumpstops, pan hard bar drop.
www.wabfab.com had quick discos, slider adapters and more.

Good luck....keep us updated and WELCOME TO YOTATECH!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hi john,

the 99s have springs that are a tad bit longer than the 96-98. i think you are alright w/ the 32s. however as localmotion mentioned, performance products makes a 1" lift spring that will definitely give you the lift you need. from my measurements, its about a 1.5" lift. i've had absolutely no problem with rubbing *at all*.

check out my profile in the community section.

bob
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jonlloyd
hi all! before you flame me, i have searched quite a bit, but just havn't been able to find the exact answer i need. i just got some 32" mt's for my 99 4runner sr5. looks like im gonna need a 2" suspension lift. i'd rather just get a 2" lift spring rather than use spacers. so my main question is, will the stock size shock work, length wise? or will it be too short? i was thinking of going with the bilsteins. also, with only a 2" lift, i wont need anything besides the shocks and springs right? at that height i shouldn't have to drop anything else. thanks for all replys

jon
The stock shock should work w/ a 2" suspension lift but w/o spacers, you're really only option would be new springs. Did you have any in mind? I would recommend spacers from a cost perspective. Also, if you don't plan on changing out your shocks, spacers should fit the bill.

Bamachem has his own setup that many have used. Here's a link:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-suspension-setup-trd-front-lift-3rd-gen-4runner-41848/

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
hi john,

the 99s have springs that are a tad bit longer than the 96-98.
So the PP springs would provide a 1999 4Runner owner about 1" of lift, while my "lower" 2000 4Runner would perhaps gain closer to 2" of lift? 1.5-2" is exactly where I'm hoping to end-up.

Don't mean to hi-jack your original post--I figured this question might give us some answers on how much lift to expect with varying model years.

Ken
Old 12-01-2005, 01:28 PM

wheeler's offroad also has inexpensive spacers as does sonoran steel. Steve at sonoran steel is a good guy and can work out a good deal on spacers when you order some other of his goodies, ie the diff drop and panhard bracket and bumpstops. check him out first at sonoran steel.

Last edited by shotking4; 12-01-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
just a quick correction, and no worries, its sonoran, and the site is here: Sonoran Steel
Old 12-01-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
So the PP springs would provide a 1999 4Runner owner about 1" of lift, while my "lower" 2000 4Runner would perhaps gain closer to 2" of lift? 1.5-2" is exactly where I'm hoping to end-up.

Don't mean to hi-jack your original post--I figured this question might give us some answers on how much lift to expect with varying model years.

Ken

ken,

i think this would be the best way to explain it. also, please note that at least for my PP 1" springs, the actual lift is closer to 1.5", so that is what I will use:

Given:
stock 31" tires = baseline
stock 96, 97, 98, 00, 01 and 02 springs = baseline
stock 99 springs = ~0.5" lift

aftermarket 32" tires = 0.5 lift
PP 1" springs = 1.5" lift (mine is closer to 1.5")

In my case, i have a 98 4runner. i started out w/ 31" tires and 98 springs. I upgraded to Bilstein shocks and PP 1" lift springs. Therefore:

32" tires = 0.5" lift
PP 1" springs = 1.5" lift.

Measured, mine is close to a 2" lift.

In JonLloyd's case, since he has a 99 4runner, he already has a 0.5" lift advantage as compared to other 3rd gen 4runners. Also, he has 32" tires already, so his starting (at least in this thread) lift is already 1". however, if
he replaces these w/ the PP springs, his total lift gain is the same as mine (very close to 2"), but the relative gain from his current set up is only 1":

jon's starting baseline:

99 springs = +0.5" lift
32" tires = +0.5" lift
Total = 1" lift

Upgrade to PP 1" lift

PP 1" lift springs MINUS 99 springs = 1.5"
32" tires = +0.5" lift
Total lift = 2.0" lift

However, his *perceived* gain is only going to be 1" since he already started out w/ a spring that is 0.5" taller. but since jon probably doesnt know the difference because he doesnt have any other model years, this paragraph is largely useless to him

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 12-01-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Banned

Bob is the man!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:29 PM

my fault, its been corrected
Old 12-01-2005, 09:20 PM

thanks for all the replys, you guys here are very helpful on this forum. yeah, i thought the 32's" might fit, i just wasn't sure because of rubbing issues and if i hit a bump, wasn't sure if there was enough clearance. well, i have a friend who can mounth them for me for free so i will find out. if there is too much rubbing, ill just get the 1" pp springs and new bilstein shocks. i also got counteract wheel balancing beads to put in the tires when they get mounted. can't wait to see how that stuff works out. ill let you guys know how it turns out, thanks alot.

jon
Old 12-02-2005, 05:16 AM

one more thing, i thought if the suspension lift on a 3rd gen was less than 2.5" inches, that you did not need a diff drop, pan hard drop or anything else dropped?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:45 AM

Diff drop is cheap insurance. I believe the panhard bar/bracket isn't need for less than 2.5", you are correct.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jonlloyd
thanks for all the replys, you guys here are very helpful on this forum. yeah, i thought the 32's" might fit, i just wasn't sure because of rubbing issues and if i hit a bump, wasn't sure if there was enough clearance. well, i have a friend who can mounth them for me for free so i will find out. if there is too much rubbing, ill just get the 1" pp springs and new bilstein shocks. i also got counteract wheel balancing beads to put in the tires when they get mounted. can't wait to see how that stuff works out. ill let you guys know how it turns out, thanks alot.

jon
Do a search on those wheel balancing beads. I remember reading that these were not recommended based on people's experiences. It's been awhile but I remember reading about these.

Your best bet is to do a road-force balancing for the tires. This usually costs about $20 - 25 per tire but is definitely worth it. I always get a slight steering shake (between 50 - 60 mph) with new tires until I get this done.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for the explanation Bob. 1.5" of spring lift and 265/75R16 tires will get me exactly where I need to be without completely killing my gas mileage. I take it a front diff drop or rear panhard bar would not be necessary? I will raise the LSPV though...

Thanks again,
Ken
Old 12-02-2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
Thank you for the explanation Bob. 1.5" of spring lift and 265/75R16 tires will get me exactly where I need to be without completely killing my gas mileage. I take it a front diff drop or rear panhard bar would not be necessary? I will raise the LSPV though...

Thanks again,
Ken
diff drop and panhard bar not necessary. but what is the LSPV?

bob
Old 12-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

Load Sensing Proportioning Valve? LOL
Old 12-03-2005, 08:29 AM

hey got the tires mounted and i already had those balancing beads so i put those in the tires as they were getting mounted. everything seams to fit just fine without rubbing so far. the wheels and tires seem balanced, had it up to 65mph for a long stretch, didn't feel anything unusual or out of balance or any kind of vibration besides that caused from the huge lugs. i guess the only thing that will determine if those beads work is mileage put on the tires. i guess as long as they dont get worse, then the beads are working, because they are supposed to always be constantly balancing the tires. definitely looks alot more aggressive, i like it alot! one more question. the tires say 65psi, but toyota says 29psi for the tires. right now i have them at 42 which i think is too high, what do you guys recommend for a mt for street use? thanks again

jon
Old 12-03-2005, 08:30 AM

btw, they are 265/75/16 dayton timberline mt's if that helps anybody answer my question
Old 12-03-2005, 08:49 AM

the 65 psi that's marked on your tires should be the MAX pressure they can hold. I run my mt's around 35 and i haven't noticed any uneven wear. when i had them put on, the shop told me to put about 32 or so in them. the 29psi that toyota came up with is determined, i believe, by the weight and size of the vehicle and the tires that it comes with.

Quick Reply: simple question for 2" lift, ps, i already searched