Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sidemarkers Install....Anyone Own a 2000+ Volkswagen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidemarkers Install....Anyone Own a 2000+ Volkswagen?

I picked up my sidemarkers today from the Volkswagen dealership. Man they are sweet. If I can install them, they are going to look perfect with my other clear lenses up front. Anyway, I'm a little confused by them. They are obviously "press fit" but all I see that will hold them in place is a kind of V shaped metal tab on one side of the lamp. I guess I'm just having a hard time picturing how they are going to be held in place. I wanted to see if anyone on here has a 2000+ Passat, Jetta, etc. If you do, could you pop out one of the lamps and let me know how they are held in place and what the cutout should look like? I am not at home right now, but I will take some pictures of them tonight and post them on here so ya'll can see what I'm talking about. If anyone on here has installed sidemarkers, please throw in your two cents. I want to make damn sure I know what I'm doing before I go hacking into my fenders. Thanks guys. Later.

Matt
Old 05-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Better yet, what you need is a "rubbing" of the hole in the fender.. That way they could mail it to you, and you could use it as a template.. Now don't make me suggest test driving one from a dealership again...
Old 05-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Here are a few pics. One is the front view, one is the top view, and one is the back view. Any ideas on how they will be held in place?

Thanks guys.

Matt
Old 05-01-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure I know. It looks like the metal thing is a spring clip that hold the unit in. The other end must have some sort of groove that hooks into the metal, then the spring clip springs out to hold he other end. You need to be exact when cutting the hole. I'd go to a junk yard and find a fender to trace the outline and make a template.

Can you get a better picture of this area?

Old 05-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Cebby,
I'll have to take some tomorrow. I'm back over at my girlfriend's place. I think I see what you're saying, but I'm not 100% confident yet by any means. I am fixing to get some cardboard and see what I can come up with. This could be a PITA to say the least. Not quite sure yet that it is going to worth the headache. Keep the ideas coming though. I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

Matt
Old 05-01-2003, 06:52 PM

Matt - Here's my take:

Old 05-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Cebby,
I see what you are saying. I tried to make a template out of cardboard a little while ago and prety much fubar'd it. I guess I'm not exactly sure where to trace the lamp. Should it be made tracing the outside of the lens (yellow) or around the "guts" on the back of the lamp (purple)?

Whatcha think? Later.

Matt
Old 05-01-2003, 07:52 PM

Matt:

purple
Old 05-01-2003, 07:57 PM

Purple definitely, but I'm not sure how it ought to look on the end where the plastic fits on and the spring clip fits. I really think you need to see a Passat fender without the light in it and trace that. Find a VW body shop & see if they have a scrap fender. Maybe they'll cut out the hole for you - wala, instant template.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Paul and Cebby,
I'm thinking that the cutout should trace the inside edge of the lens on the back of the lamp as shown in red. That way, the one end will grip the fender like Cebby said and the spring will apply pressure against the fender on the other side of the lamp. Sound right? I can see where making the template is going to be a royal PITA because the clear lens will not separate from the rest of the lamp. Suggestions?

Matt
Old 05-01-2003, 08:49 PM

When I did mine I cut a template out of cardboard following what you have as a purple line. Mine also had a tab on one end and I just notched the fender so it would fit in. I use the metal nibbler from Radio Shack to make my cuts and trimming. It wasn't a 100% exact fit but I also secured with silicone.

Paul
Old 05-01-2003, 09:44 PM
DuB

I think the reason you're having problems with deciding which line to follow is because those sidemarkers are countersunk into VW fenders a couple millimeters. The raised metal follows the yellow, while the hole cut for it follows the purple. I think :pat: That's what I remember when I was looking into a set of those. My friend gave me his old sidemarkers and it looked like it was going to be too hard to install, so I gave up on that idea.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:14 PM

I think Dub has the right idea. Those are designed to be countersunk into an oval recess, but may still work. I know a guy here with a 2nd gen Runner and has those markers installed.
My markers had a thin rubber gasket. I peeled it off (li'ghtly glued on) and traced the inner shape. I guesstimated the 2 tab 'ears on the ends and test fitted as I used the Dremel and square file to make a tight fit.
Kinda looks like yours would be the small 'bathtub' shape in the midddle (raised part) with 2 square ears on the ends. Get a scrap of sheetmetal and practice first. If it works, you'll have the perfect template. Good luck.
my markers
Old 05-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Dub and Butnut,
I think ya'll are right about them being counter sunk into the fender. I still think they will work though. Butnut, could you talk to your friend and see if he could pop one of his out and take a picture of the opening he cut? Man, if he could trace out the template or send me a copy of the one he used, that would be great. Thanks for the input guys. Later.

Matt
Old 05-02-2003, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

one other thing t oconsider is , when it burns out , are you going to be able to press that tab from the outside to replace the bulb ? once you slip it into place and it snaps in , is there a way to get at it from behind , to press the tab , if not , you better consider that befor you do it , unless a burnt out bulb is of no concern to you.

the best solution and of course the most expensive would be to find a set of fenders from a junk yard , cut outthe cut out and have them cut into your fenders , giving you the exact vw replica , then of course you would have to repaint , and it would be expensive.

is there no other alternative for side markers ?
arent their some aftermarket companies making clear sidemarkers out there ?

i see alot on hondas are they doing the same thing and using vw markers ? or is there a kit out there ?

airrikk17
Old 05-02-2003, 10:54 AM

When my wife gets home tonight I'll take a look at the TDi and see what it looks like. So far I think Cebby has it right.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:06 AM

try this link a guy on tundra soluations.com put some on his truck
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photo...t=1&thecat=564

i will also attach a picture of it. hope this helps
Old 05-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

I am going to try to tackle this thing tomorrow. I also bought some Pilot driving lamps that I am going to install this weekend under my rear bumper. I'll get some pics if or when I get through with these sidemarkers but in the meantime, keep the input coming! Thanks guys. Later.

Matt
Old 05-03-2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by airrikk17
one other thing t oconsider is , when it burns out , are you going to be able to press that tab from the outside to replace the bulb ? once you slip it into place and it snaps in , is there a way to get at it from behind , to press the tab , if not , you better consider that befor you do it , unless a burnt out bulb is of no concern to you.
That's a good point. How do the bulbs get changed on the Vdubs?
Old 05-03-2003, 12:28 PM

Those look similar to mine. Just a twist-n-click socket like the corners. Of course you'll have to remove the fender liner to get at it...no biggie. I had to replace my power antenna (damn nylon teeth thingy ) yesterday. I had to break open the motor housing to remove all those busted teeth. I'm getting good at pulling those grommet locking tabs...only broke one. Having no music for one day drove me nuts!