Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Side or Rear exhaust on a '99 4Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Side or Rear exhaust on a '99 4Runner...

So,

Should I go out the side or out the rear???

I love the look of the rear exhaust on the 4runners, but I do run with my rear window down about 2 inches; my dog loves it.

For those of you who have this arrangement, is there an exhaust fume issue? I've heard different stories. It's not a total heartbreaker to go out the side, but if I can go out the back without an abundance of fumes, I'd like to.

Opinions please...
Old 09-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think it would look funny with one pipe out the back i was going to do it but i didint like the look of it
Old 09-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Out the back:

Old 09-08-2006, 01:21 AM

It's a known fact that carbon monoxide exposure is one of the leading causes for Parkinson's disease. In our brains, we only have so many dopaminergic cells in the substantia nigra basal ganglia. The more we expose them to carbon monoxide, (as well as other free radicals and insecticides), the more we lose. Lose more than 70%, and it is clinically diagnosed as Parkinsons disease.

Rear vs. side swept exhaust? Won't make that much of a difference. Take out your catalytic converter and sit in traffic? Now that's a problem most gearheads don't realize.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by QSVeilside
It's a known fact that carbon monoxide exposure is one of the leading causes for Parkinson's disease. In our brains, we only have so many dopaminergic cells in the substantia nigra basal ganglia. The more we expose them to carbon monoxide, (as well as other free radicals and insecticides), the more we lose. Lose more than 70%, and it is clinically diagnosed as Parkinsons disease.
Wow, you must watch House M.D. alot! It's OK, I love that show too. However, I must've missed the episode where he diagnoses a racecar driver with Parkinson's due to carbon monoxide intake.

Just messing with you.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
Wow, you must watch House M.D. alot! It's OK, I love that show too. However, I must've missed the episode where he diagnoses a racecar driver with Parkinson's due to carbon monoxide intake.

Just messing with you.
LOL! I'm actually a wannabe doc right now in medschool.

Just to elaborate on your question, I'll ask a few more.

What about people that try to commit suicide in their garages? Highest incidence of parkinsons in survivors.

What about smokers?

Industrial workers?

How old are the race car drivers?

First signs are shaking. Think about that... then think about the people you know that tend to have the jitters/shakes in general. Primarily old folks > 65, but I'm certain you know a few people in their thirties to fifties that present similarly... Grandparents, parents, friends yours or others' around you. What do they do for a living? Industrial work? Are they smokers?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the look of the single rear-facing exhaust (what I have on my 4Runner, TRD cat-back) but you're overall better off with a side-facing one for both off-road and street standpoints...

Off-road it's more likely to be damaged when facing out the back, and on the street you have more fumes directly behind your vehicle in more situations. Still, they're pretty close and there isn't really a deal-breaker between the two.

Do what you want, I say.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

I took it in today to have the work done. I'm going for the rear output. I just like the look better and I'm not really off road all that much (5-8 times a summer). So, if my dog doesn't faint in the back then I guess it's fine. And worst case, I just re-do it and send it out the side ~$50.

Thanks everyone...I'll watch for shaking too...