Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'Shuddering' when braking.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:22 PM
BOK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Shuddering' when braking.

Hi Guys,

When I drive my '99 down a fairly steep gradient and I start to brake the car feels likes its shuddering. It feels like maybe the ABS is working but I don't why it would since I'm not braking very hard.

It happens when slowing down from 60 and it only happens on a downhill gradient.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:22 PM

Warped rotors?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:29 PM

Defective rotors. See this thread...third post from the bottom.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:30 PM

I had this same problem with my 99. After having them play with the rotors time and time again, I just opted to get newrotors and performance brake pads and haven't had a problem since.

It's well worth the money and no more of that awful body shuddering coming down from the mountains.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:25 PM
CTB

Wow, a "gal" who drives a supercharged 4Runner in Colorado....you can't beat that!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:35 PM

Unhappy me too

I got warped rotors too. 4runnergal what are the upgrades you are mentioning (brands, prices etc). thanks
Carsten
Old 01-16-2004, 06:37 PM
BOK

Thanks for the help everyone. Always helpful.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:28 PM

Carsten,
Sorry for the delay in replying.

I don't have pictures but I bought some Brembo cross drilled rotors with performance pads off Ebay. I got a good deal and like I said, it's made a big difference. That shuddering is the worst feeling besides the ABS!

Hope that helps.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BOK
Thanks for the help everyone. Always helpful.
Looks like they got you covered for the warped rotors.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:45 PM

Don't mean to step on this thread but I'm having a similiar problem on my '94.

I just replaced the rotors, pads and repacked the bearings, and I still have a slight pulsation/shudder when breaking.

I replaced the rotors with the Tru Stop rotors and used Performance Friction pads for the '96 Land Cruiser.

It is more severe at highway speeds, but still noticeable when braking above 40mph. The brake job did correct most of the problem, but not all.

I haven't adjusted the rear brakes or replaced the shoes yet, so I wonder if the rears aren't working as hard as they can, and this could be causing the fronts to do more than their share? Is this possible?

What else can be causing this? I thought about calipers, but wouldn't the car pull one way or the other if one was about to seize?

Any ideas what else I can check?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by xavguy
I haven't adjusted the rear brakes or replaced the shoes yet, so I wonder if the rears aren't working as hard as they can, and this could be causing the fronts to do more than their share? Is this possible?

What else can be causing this? I thought about calipers, but wouldn't the car pull one way or the other if one was about to seize?

Any ideas what else I can check?
Rear brakes can cause this problem, this is how you check.

Drive down a street (preferably a non-busy one), I think you have the turn type knob from the dash parking brake, so with it turned 90 deg (as if you are trying to release it) and your finger on the release button, pull on it (not hard), just enough to feel resistance. Don't hit the brakes when doing this test, just use the parking brake. If you feel shudder, it's your drum, not shoes that are out of round or commonly refered to as warped. Even though a simple fix is turn your drums, it's better to just go ahead and put in new shoes while your at it. Drums CAN BE turned at any local Kragen's/Chuck's whatever they call it at your town. If you have any questions get back to the board and we'll be happy to answer your questions.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:06 AM

Thanks! I tried your suggestion this morning, and sure enough I felt the same shudder. Not only that, but I noticed I could barely slow the rig down using the hand brake. I guess I need to get some work down on those rears.

What can be done for rear brakes?

1. adjust
2. turn drums
3. new shoes

Anything else? And I take it that the rear drums on 2nd Gen 4runners don't suffer the same characteristic of the rotors, in that you really shouldn't bother with turning them, but rather replace them.

Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by xavguy
What can be done for rear brakes?

1. adjust
2. turn drums
3. new shoes

Anything else? And I take it that the rear drums on 2nd Gen 4runners don't suffer the same characteristic of the rotors, in that you really shouldn't bother with turning them, but rather replace them.

Thanks again.
If you're shuddering using that test method, you can't just simply adjust the shoes, it's because your drums are out of round. Common to contrary believe, DRUMS CAN BE TURNED, they don't need to be replaced, unless you are above width specs. Rotors (or discs) can also be turned too, on the second gen though with front hubs, it's kinda of a pain to do unless you have an on the car type lathe, that's probably why a lot like to just go ahead a replace the rotor. Like I said, take your drums to any Kragen's/Chuck's/Checker's . Since you are turning your drums, i highly recommend you go ahead and replace the shoes as a piece of mind.

Last edited by Mohamed; 01-30-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 PM

I have the same problem on my 4 Runner that I just bought, 94.... Those shops aren't in Michigan, anywhere else I might be able to get the drums turned?
Old 01-30-2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by jefferino
I have the same problem on my 4 Runner that I just bought, 94.... Those shops aren't in Michigan, anywhere else I might be able to get the drums turned?
There are many local shops that will do this type of work, just dig out your yellow pages and look under Automotive-Brakes. I was able to setup an appt for tomorrow morning, so I should be stopping good again by the afternoon.

I don't have a problem with turning the drums, but with front rotors on these vehicles being notorious for warping fast, I wouldn't bother. You're just going to end up dealing with it again after a few thousand miles. Brakes are one area where I can not tolerate slop in any of my vehicles.