Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Should I trade in my 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I trade in my 4Runner?

I looked at a black 1998 4Runner Limited at a local dealership today. I test drove it and wanted it pretty bad. It's got pretty much everything I'm looking for except for a supercharger. Of course, compared to my 91 it felt supercharged.

They're asking $16,500 for it. I believe it's got pretty much all the options available in 98. 3.4L V6, Auto, 4x4, Rear locker, leather, moon roof, A/C, power windows/locks/seats/mirrors, towing package, 4 wheel ABS, AM/FM with CD, cruise, tilt, alloy wheels, etc... It's a little high in mileage (88,000) but not too bad. It's in almost perfect shape. The exterior is mint with very few interior flaws. Only slight wear on the driver's seat and some visible wear on the factory floor mats.

So, I guess I'm asking if it's worth what they want. Kelley Blue Book says $17,095 and they didn't sound like they wanted to budge much on the price. I'm just afraid I'll get nailed on my trade in. My 91 has a couple of mechanical problems that I don't want to spend the money to fix. I've got a ticking noise from a worn cam (diagnosed when I had the valves adjusted a month or so ago) and a nasty sounding rattle in the front end I haven't been able to figure out.

So what do you think? Should I give it a try? Also, anybody know where I can find an option list for 1998? I'd like to see what was available that year.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

www.carbuyingtips.com
Old 05-05-2004, 08:13 PM

hey, i should be buying a 1997 4runner limited with all options and only 80k miles next week. I am buying it from a private party for 14,250. I have been told that price is slightly high, but its sure a lot better than the 16,500 the dealer is asking you for a 98! I would reccomend you buy from a private owner, and sell yours privately also. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:17 PM

16,500 seems a little high to me. Go take a look at the 98's on ebay. Man I would hate to see you get raped on a trade in. (your 91 looks awesome in your avatar). Dealerships are nothing but thieves. You have to go into that situation knowing that thier main goal is to rip you off. You might save a few grand on ebay. Perhaps someone on this forum would be interested in buying your 2nd gen (you wont get jack for it on a trade in). The best advice I can give you is this: Don't be too anxious, there will always be more black 98's.

16,500 doesn't seem like a very good deal to me.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Just for reference I scored a 2000 SR5 4x4 on ebay with 18K miles for $15K. Rare, but it is possible.

I turned around and sold that puppy for $19.5.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm, I sense a negative vibe...

I found that they have it advertised on their website for $15,995 so I guess they've got a little breathing room they didn't mention to me. They've also got the mileage listed at 79,050 on the site. I might have been wrong about the 88,000. The dealer quoted that off the top of his head.

I looked around some on Ebay the other night and didn't find anything in my area. I'd have to have something shipped from Texas, Florida, or Arizona for over $1k. I'm not real wild about that. Plus, I'm a little leary about buying a vehicle without test driving it. The Limiteds I saw on Ebay looked like they'd go in the $14-$15k range. I might be over $16k by the time it got to my door. Are you sure $16k is such a bad deal?

Besides, I'm not saying I'll pay $16.5k or the $16k from the web site. I'll print off some of the deals from Ebay and take them with me to the dealership. Heck, I might even forget about the trade in and just put some cash down. I'll have to think about it.

I appreciate the sanity check though. I'll definitely talk the price down or walk.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jimrockford
Hmmm, I sense a negative vibe...

I found that they have it advertised on their website for $15,995 so I guess they've got a little breathing room they didn't mention to me. They've also got the mileage listed at 79,050 on the site. I might have been wrong about the 88,000. The dealer quoted that off the top of his head.

I looked around some on Ebay the other night and didn't find anything in my area. I'd have to have something shipped from Texas, Florida, or Arizona for over $1k. I'm not real wild about that. Plus, I'm a little leary about buying a vehicle without test driving it. The Limiteds I saw on Ebay looked like they'd go in the $14-$15k range. I might be over $16k by the time it got to my door. Are you sure $16k is such a bad deal?

Besides, I'm not saying I'll pay $16.5k or the $16k from the web site. I'll print off some of the deals from Ebay and take them with me to the dealership. Heck, I might even forget about the trade in and just put some cash down. I'll have to think about it.

I appreciate the sanity check though. I'll definitely talk the price down or walk.
My advice would be to keep a number in mind and DON'T BUDGE from it! I just got back from a dealership looking at a 2001. They wanted $29,xxx for it .. I laughed at them. After about an hour of 'BS' the 2001 was suddenly reduced to $18,xxx minus $5000 for my '91. Those people are definitely full of it, so watch your back and don't sign anything unless your comfortable with the numbers!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

Go to autos.msn.com for option list on the 98 4runner.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

After about an hour of 'BS' the 2001 was suddenly reduced to $18,xxx minus $5000 for my '91
Now that's what I'd like to see happen. What kind of shape was your 91 in?

Go to autos.msn.com for option list on the 98 4runner.
Thanks! I also forgot that YotaTech has a link to a good site detailing the history of the 4Runner. I found a full option list there too.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

The 4Runners on Ebay never mention a locking rear differential. Is it really that rare, or do dealers just not know what they are? I've decided I won't buy another 4Runner without the electric locker. I'm too cheap to put one in aftermarket.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

It is kind of rare. If you find something in AZ, I would be willing to check it out for you. Let me know.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

I bet you can get it for $14.9k out the door with taxes. When I got mine, they were asking $13999 and I got it for $9600. Keep in mind I had 153k miles at the time. Blue book was over $11k (priv. party).

Now at 170k, we have much less value and appeal to the general car-buying masses.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:28 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i think you should sell your runner privately, then use that money toward the 98.

thats not such a bad price .. i think a lot of people forget that the dealer will backup any used car they sell. you can bargain and talk them down quite easily.. i got them to knock off 2500 and include an extended warranty, and when the hood latch wouldnt lock the next week, i brought it in and they took care of it and washed my truck for free.

im not saying these guys are wrong to look down upon dealers, but there is a certain value added to buying from them at the right price. i was comfortable with the price i got, so i took it. i might have been able to buy it from someone in a private party sale, but then i wouldnt have a warranty, wouldnt have a sort of 'understanding of service' between me and the seller, and if something bad happened as a result, id be left paying TONS of money to fix it.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I did it. I traded in my 4Runner yesterday on a new(er) one. It took some negotiating, but I think I made a deal I can live with. I got $4,300 for my trade in. Certainly not what I wanted, but decent considering it needed well over $1,000 worth of repairs. In the end, I just didn't want to deal with trying to sell it myself. I knew it had problems and I wouldn't have felt right trying to hide them from a buyer. And it wouldn't have been economical for me to try to fix it.

I got the dealership to drop the price of the '98 to $15.5K. That may be a little high by Ebay standards, but it beats the KBB suggested retail of $17K.

I'm loving how it drives. The 3.4L V6 feels so much stronger and smoother than the 3.0L. I can't believe the difference. As a whole, everything about the truck feels familiar, like I can tell it's a 4Runner and everything is where it should be. But, at the same time, everything feels better. The materials used in the interior feel better, it drives better, and just feels more solid and precise. I kind of wish I would have bought a 3rd gen way back when I got my '91. I couldn't have afforded it back then, though.

Anyway, I digress. I know I can't post news of a new rig without a photo, so I'll add a link.
Attached Thumbnails Should I trade in my 4Runner?-1998-4runner.jpg  
Old 05-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the 3rd genners!!

I was thrilled when I got my 98 after my 94, It looks like a nice rig. Now you get to start looking at toys, SAW, OME, Jardine, TRD. You can also start looking for 99+ consoles and bumpers

I think you got it at a decent price, I bought mine in November for 11,750 with 114k.

RUNNING BOARDS BEGONE!!
Old 05-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

RUNNING BOARDS BEGONE!!
That's set to be one of my first mods. Unfortunately, my wife says it looks "classy" with the running boards on. Maybe she'll change her mind after I beat them up a bit on some rocks.

I guess I'll have to start with a set of respectable tires. The Goodyear Wranglers on it now are downright embarrasing.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good. And damn your Base housing looks better than the crap the gave us at Tinker. Oh well... Now it is time for a S/C and a lift.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimrockford
That's set to be one of my first mods. Unfortunately, my wife says it looks "classy" with the running boards on. Maybe she'll change her mind after I beat them up a bit on some rocks.

I guess I'll have to start with a set of respectable tires. The Goodyear Wranglers on it now are downright embarrasing.

Try putting on a set of sliders and tell your wife they are "special" running boards.
If you are mostly on road then Michelin LTX's wear like no other.
......any off-roading or snow and you need some BFG KO's or Dueller Revos
Old 05-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Try putting on a set of sliders and tell your wife they are "special" running boards.
If you are mostly on road then Michelin LTX's wear like no other.
......any off-roading or snow and you need some BFG KO's or Dueller Revos
I didn't think my wife would even notice when I took the running boards off my 1991. She doesn't pick up on small things like that. But she knew immediately. I guess she didn't like it because it was the first thing she said when she saw the new one. She doesn't know it yet, but they will be coming off soon.

I ran BFG MTs on my 1991. I'm thinking about those for the new one. But I've heard a lot of good things about the Revos too.