Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Should I stay or should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I stay or should I go?

Hello all, My name is Mike and I have a 4-runner dilemma. I have a '94 SR5 V6 Auto, loaded, with 150k on it. Recently, it was diagnosed with a burnt exhaust valve. My options at this point are to have the heads done ($2k quote w/timing belt service), replace the engine ($4-4.5K) or bag the whole thing and sell it, basically as a project. Complicating this decision is the fact that I have poured lots of bucks into the thing in the last couple of years.(Rebuilt tranny, rear end, brakes, new doors, tailgate and paint) I don't really have the skills or inclination to fix the heads myself and am leery about spending 2k to rebuild the top end on a 150k motor. The plus side is that the truck is in otherwise good shape and looks good when I wash the mud off of it.
Any opinions welcomed.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:24 AM

I'm not positve about your truck/engine but this subject was just discussed over on ODW and a guy with a 5VZ was told that he had a burnt valve and the cost was going to be the same as you have been quoted to redo heads. Someone sugested that it could be that the vavles are out of spec (clearance) and so he took it upon himself to check it and low and behold, that was the problem. He got the shims from Toyota and readjusted the valves to spec. None where burnt just not in spec. I'd look into this before I would do anything else.

Just my $.02.........
Old 04-18-2003, 05:28 AM

1st things 1st... is it paid for? If so, Id think seriously about a new engine. At that point, you have a rig w/ new engine, tranny and recent body work. SO.... for 4k you have a clean, dependable 4x4. It dont get any better than that.
Unless youre just tired of the rig, and REALLY want something different. In that case, you'll lose your butt on the 4Runner, but, if thats ok w/ you........
Me? Id spend the cash on a new engine and enjoy the rig another 3 yrs w/ no payments....but hey, thats just me.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:57 AM

I'm going through the exact same thought process - At 145k miles... I've got a head gasket leak (not covered by the recall) a seized plug (so bad that the dealer won't even try to pull it unless I agree to pay for a new head if it breaks) and I'm in need of a timing belt. It still runs pretty well so I have some time to think about it, but at a minimum I'm looking at $2-$2.5k for head work or 6+ for a dealer rebuild (I like your estimate better), or 5-6 k for a reman. engine and installation.

Since you have an immediate problem to solve you may not have the same options I do, but I'm going to run mine until it dies (could be 100 miles, could many thousands of miles). And make sure everything else is good along the way.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:39 AM

If it is a burnt valve at least contact DOA and price having your heads ported and rebuilt there. Bet the price will be higher than what the dealer wants to charge for a rebuild of your heads. You'll pay a little more but the quality and power gains are pretty good.

How good is the rest of the engine? Does it burn oil? Essentially at $4k for an engine I'd consider pulling an engine from a 3.4 Tacoma or 4Runner with its harness, computer, and anything else I could get. Also for that much you could get a diesel from a Toyota from South America or Australia/New Zealand. It is a direct bolt in. The V6 swap requires a little work (body lift, mods to fuel and exhaust lines) but the power gains are pretty big and it is a more efficient engine. You'll actually save $$$ doing a swap.

I hope this doesn't lead you way off track - you mentioned any suggestions welcome.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:34 AM

Mike, I wonder if your rig have been the head gasket recall done, if not, you may want to check the VIN at the dealer, and see if you are qualified. If so, it might help you to reduce the labor cost by doing the valve job on the head alone, not including the cost of removing and installing the head on the engine. In some cases, the dealer will replace a whole engine if the leak is not fixed or solved. Just a thought....
Old 04-18-2003, 09:31 AM

For 3k you can get that guy on 4x4wire to do a supra swap. Why spend 4k on a new 3.slow, which will still suck a$$, when you can have a supra engine for less? I'd say this is a sign from above....Thou shalt get a suprarunner!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:20 AM

OK, I'll bite: What guy and where is he?

BTW, any one know of a *good* used appropriate engine FS?
Old 04-18-2003, 10:35 AM

He posts on this board sometimes, too...I think his name is Super Runner on 4x4wire.com (toyota 4 wheeling board) But I honestly don't remember exactly what his handle is. He's definitely the man to go to about supra swaps. He has a really bad ass 2nd gen as well. It was recently in an import mag for Supras in Vegas or something like that. A turbo supra engine should run you around 800-900 in good condition WITH turbo. He has a source for those as well. SHould be under 3k for the full treatment including intercooler setup.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:23 PM

I think it's a little more complicated than just getting the engine and putting an intercooler. It seems that he keeps blowing out his rear end with all that extra power. I'm sure if you go that route, it will be a lot higher than 3K for all the extra other stuff you would have to do.

Salue
Old 04-18-2003, 05:45 PM

I was curious about price on a supra engine a week ago and I got this quote from a company Called Japan Direct. I'm sure it doesn't come with a computer but It still sounds a good deal.

My 3.0 is running fine so I'm not ready to do this. But I bet with another $1000.00 or even alot less you could get it done.
Below is a copy of the E-mail I got from them.

Japan Direct Request Form from Andy

"Thanks for your email. I do have a very nice 7MGTE engine for your Supra. It
will have about 40,000 miles on it and comes with a 6 month warranty. The
turbo does come with the engine. This engine is as clean inside as you will
find. Your cost is $1000 plus $95 freight. Call 1-888-518-7341 if we can
help.
Thanks,
Eric"

Good luck
Andy
Old 04-19-2003, 05:31 AM

The Supra engine is supposed to fit with IFS. SupraRunner claims he's done one of those conversions already. One problem I'm not sure he's conquered is that they were having problems with the stock A/C system and the swap. If there is an IFS rig with working A/C running around with the Supra twin turbo 3.0 (inline 6) then I'd love to see it.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:53 AM

I've found the guy's site... here it is supra runner

Salue
Old 04-20-2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Victor
If it is a burnt valve at least contact DOA and price having your heads ported and rebuilt there. Bet the price will be higher than what the dealer wants to charge for a rebuild of your heads. You'll pay a little more but the quality and power gains are pretty good.

How good is the rest of the engine? Does it burn oil? Essentially at $4k for an engine I'd consider pulling an engine from a 3.4 Tacoma or 4Runner with its harness, computer, and anything else I could get. Also for that much you could get a diesel from a Toyota from South America or Australia/New Zealand. It is a direct bolt in. The V6 swap requires a little work (body lift, mods to fuel and exhaust lines) but the power gains are pretty big and it is a more efficient engine. You'll actually save $$$ doing a swap.

I hope this doesn't lead you way off track - you mentioned any suggestions welcome.
I'd like more info about that swap! Is it a turbo diesel? That would be the perfect engine for a 4runner! Do you have any more info about that?

Erik