Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

should i get it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
should i get it?

i found a 1979 first gen 4x4 locally. it's bright yellow, on 31's(back are bald tho), and is in reasonably good shape, besides some superficial rust on the top of the tailgate that's probably from a canopy

i talked to the guy who owns it, says it has a rear locker, and the 4wd works great. it's got a 20R in it and a 4 speed tranny, so it doesn't seem like it's anything _too_ special for freeway driving, although i can manage

it's got the original paint, which is a little faded in spots, but not bad at all. the interior is the typical ugly toyota brown, but it doesnt matter to me, and it has a nice cd player

i've heard that the trannys on '79 to '83 were a bit weak, and typically broke after 200k miles. the truck has 170k on it, but i figure if it breaks sometime in the future i could swap in a 5 speed out of an 84-86, since they are a bit stronger, although i believe the transfer case shifter is arranged differently

the price on the rig is $1750 obo, which seems like a pretty good deal. the only things i can see wrong with it are the back tires, which are getting pretty slick, and the guy who owns it says the rear axle needs a new seal, or something like that
Old 03-30-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going on my knowledge of Toys and living here in Maine we have a lot of road salt damage to worry about when looking at buying any used vehicle. Not know what kinds of conditions you drive in over there not sure what your vehicles are subject to. But using Maine conditions and going on what you said about the truck, what it is, and what the price was...I would probably offer him like $1500 or less....judging on how the frame looked....all in all I would say go for it....There is alot you could do with that truck once you get it, just remember that.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:54 PM

i looked at the frame, and i didn't see much rust, if any. i don't believe they salt the roads around here

i know a guy who showed me this truck, the owner offered it to him for 1500, but he didn't have any use for it. possibly i could mention his name, and score it even cheaper
Old 03-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Well i looked at a 84 toy the other day.

The front end look like the guy used to run over trees. The driver side lower bed metal was missing. The engine has a bad rod and the wiring is fubar . Also the rims don't fit right and the tire are bald.

The dumb a$$ want $1000 for it

So if it look good and you can get for $1500 jump on it!!
Old 03-30-2003, 06:23 PM

the only problem is that i'm having to borrow the money from my parents, and sell my little '84 to pay the rest off

i've only owned 4 speeds, and this one is another 4 speed. my mom can't get it through her head that there isn't anything wrong with one on a 4x4, since i don't plan on going fast or anything. she thinks pulling power has to do with a 5th gear, which, granted is always a nice thing to have

i'm going to sleep on this one, although i think i already know my verdict(buy it!), and i'm sure i could swap in a 5 spd tranny later on if i feel like it, and cash permitting
Old 03-30-2003, 06:27 PM

Sounds like a fair deal. Bed rust is very common in the first gen and you could possibly upgrade to a 22r or 22re someday. If you score some cheap used tires then you may have a sweet deal.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by AZTOY
Well i looked at a 84 toy the other day.

The front end look like the guy used to run over trees. The driver side lower bed metal was missing. The engine has a bad rod and the wiring is fubar . Also the rims don't fit right and the tire are bald.

The dumb a$$ want $1000 for it

So if it look good and you can get for $1500 jump on it!!
oh, and i'm gonna try to get about 1000 for my '84 2wd. toyotas fetch good prices around this area; just last fall my buddy sold his _trashed_ '78 for 700. the thing didn't even have a cap on the master cylinder

my pickup runs great, although it isn't in the prettiest thing. it came from colorado, so the bed got salted pretty bad(rust ate through at the base of the wheel wells where spray hits them), but i plan on fixing them this week when i have access to a welder. however, the front end isn't too bad, except for the spray paint the other guy that owned it put on the left fender. the truck also came with the reciepts for just about everything that was done to it in the last 12 years.

i bought the truck last may, and have been happy with it since, but now i want a 4x4 to play in the plentiful mud around here, and have something that can be toyed with a bit more
Old 03-30-2003, 07:43 PM

Walk up to the guy with $1200 in hundred dollar bills.He won't turn it down!Good luck!
Old 03-30-2003, 09:15 PM

Ide give him 1200 tops. I bought a 82 sr5 longbed for 500 and put in a rebuilt carb and redid the fuel system and it ran like a top with 92,000 miles. Make sure the frame connected to the gas tank is in good shape because thats a rust spot and make sure that the exuast manifold is in good shape. You will loose alot of power where the headers and manifold hookup if they are loose or in poor shape. Ask if it was re-geared with the locker. If it wasnt its got 3.90s most likley. They didnt get 4.10s till 82.