Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Should I buy an OPTIMA battery ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy an OPTIMA battery ??

Hi gang,

I need a new battery. It seems a lot of people are talking about the OPTIMA battery. I have heard a lot of praise, but no-one explains what makes it so good.

Can anyone give me some insite to this battery?? Also, what colors are for what applications?? I have an 88 4Runner and will be installing a sounds system with amps (1 or 2), a sub and also a CB radio. What do I need??

Thanks for the help....AkBillyBow
Old 12-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

AkBillyBow,

You can get some information from the Optima Website

I don't know anybody that uses them and have only heard their commercials. They're supposedly pretty heavy duty batteries, but they're a little price--around $150.

Based on what you have in your rig, you may want to go with the Yellow, deep cycle battery. You may be able to go with a red top, but if you add anything in the future (e.g. auxillary lights, winch, etc.), the yellow top would be best suited.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Old 12-31-2002, 01:59 AM

I just recently got a new battery...I was thinking about the Optimas and even checked them out at Costco....I believe they were about $120 for the red tops. I opted to purchase a heavy duty battery from Les Schwab....This battery was about $70 and had a 5yr Warranty....If it gives out w/in 5yrs they credit you the remaining $ towards a new battery. I've purchased a lot of tires, brakes, springs, shocks, and batteries from them b4 and they do have a good warranty program....
Old 12-31-2002, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Yea, get the Optima. They
Old 12-31-2002, 07:26 AM

the good thing about optima batteries are that they are "dry" batteries. unlike "normal" car batteries that can leak, and spill out and corode ur connections...
Old 12-31-2002, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Optima's are Stout

I used to use Optimas all the time in my car stereo days for both starting and system only in my dual battery setup. They really last and are very predictable. Completely draining them didn't seem to harm them as much as a standard wet battery. Plus you don't have to mount them upright if you don't want to.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Optima Red/Organge top = 750 CCA! Great for those occasional cold mornings in AK.

Yellow/blue tops are 650 CCA which is fine for most starting applications but 750 CCA is awesome when it's way below zero.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:14 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have an Optima clone in my rig.
It's a Les Schwab gel cel battery with a "licensed Optima technoligy" sticker on it.

It's been in the rig for a few years now and works great.
Plus it has the side terminal which I used for my stereo amp hookup.
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/e...ash/clean2.jpg
Old 12-31-2002, 09:44 AM

I just purchased a yellow top for my 88 4runner and I am awaiting its arrival. I did purchase the Optima spacer tray to help with the height difference. When I get it installed I will let you know how I like it. The 4runner does have some lights (hella 4000's) and a stereo with a winch in the works someday. I have a 150 amp alternator to install at some point as well. Need more time. Here is the site I purchased my Optima http://www.powerstridebattery.com/

Martin
Old 12-31-2002, 11:16 AM

Well, I decided to get an Optima. I called a local shop and they have them for only $10 more than the internet price at powestridebattery.com. That is pretty good considering I live in Alaska...as we usually pay alot more than 'average' prices.

On the phone, he told me the Red 800S would fit my Runner, that I didn't need the Orange top with the reverse poles. I will look at them when I get there and decide for my self which one will work best.

Probably won't get it installed until tomorrow, as I am going Moose hunting this afternoon. I'll let you know what I purchase and how it works out.

Happy New Years to all...be safe....AkBillyBow
Old 12-31-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moose?

Post a pic of the moose if you get one...
Old 12-31-2002, 01:05 PM

I installed the red top and I had to extend my cables just a little. I've had it for over a year and it hasn't given me any problems.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:24 PM

Most Toyota trucks will need the Orange Top battery and the spacer tray that sould come with the battery at no extra charge. The Orange Top is the same as the Red Top, but the poles are reversed so it bolts right in.

What sold me on the Optima battery was a demo put on by Peter on the side of a mountain in the George Washington National Forest near Harrisonburg VA.

Peter had a 2nd gen fully locked and was trying to negotiate a serious obstical over some big rocks on the edge of a cliff. It was really impressive when it popped that thing into a really high wheely. Then as the front end slammed back down the engine stalled and would not restart. After a long period of cranking up came the hood.

Several of the more mechanically incline types elbowed their way in and we all found several little things wrong and we corrected them, but the truck still would not start. A little tap here, wiggle there, connections cleaned, relays tested, adjustment made here and there, fuses replaced, plugs cleaned, new fuel filter installed, service manual consulted, and after each thing an attempt was made to start the truck. It was cranked and cranked, cranked some more.... This went on for hours.

We traced the problem to a lack of fuel delivery and that lead to the pump being diagnosed to be at fault. It was clear that a field repair was not going to be made stuck on those rocks with darkness falling.

Peter used the starter motor and his manual transmission to crank his truck off of those rocks that the main engine could not. It just kept going and going on the starter. He finally got it off the rocks, backed down the trail, did a three point turn and down a bit more where he joined a less daring driver and truck with wench.

To get down the mountain, Peter's truck was placed in front with the wench truck behind it tied to it so it would not get away and down the mountain side they went. Peter's truck was towed by other trucks back to the campsite. The next morning a new fuel pump was installed and the truck cranked right up.

The fact that so much cranking time was placed on that battery while we were trying to diagnose the fault, and then the truck was driven off the obsticals with the battery, then down the trail with the battery, and then the next cold morning it fired right up was super impressive to me.

I have never seen a battery perform so well, ever. I was indeed impressed and I now have an Optima battery in my truck.

Run what you want, but for me it will be an Optima!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 12-31-2002, 06:31 PM

Well, I decided to install the new Optima battery instead of going hunting today. I bought the Red Top battery and just turned it around so the posts were on the inside, away from the radiator. Since the posts are off center, I figured the Orange Top battery may require me to lengthen my cables. This way it worked out great...no more mods required.

I took some pics for you to see:

http://community.webshots.com/user/akbillybow

Happy new year.....AkBillyBow
Old 12-31-2002, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Looks sweet. You'll have to keep us posted on how you like it.

I know the REAL reason why you decided to go with the red top...the orange would have clashed with your nice red paint job!
Old 01-01-2003, 12:56 PM

Looks great. My yellow top is suppose to be here tommorow according to UPS.

Martin
Old 01-01-2003, 10:41 PM

So far so good with the new battery. The place that sold it to me gave me a 6 year warrenty on it That's pretty darn good. It was only $119 here in Alaska. I read one thread where someone said they were $150. I think it will be well worth the money...can't wait for the batteries in my other rigs to go bad now!!

You got me richeyma...It does look better than the orange one would have:xmas7:

Later....AkBillyBow