See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Shock Absorber advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock Absorber advice needed

So here's the scoop, our '99 4Runner Limited that my wife drives is in the process of blowing a rear shock (fluid leaking, etc).

Recently I've been doing my own work on my Jeep Wrangler, so I figured I'd replace the 4Runner shocks myself and save a few bucks. So I searched the forums, and read about the removal/install process (and the hassle with the top nut) and I think I'm all set there. The question I have is about what shocks I should purchase as replacements, since there doesn't seem to be any consensus in the posts I read.

This 4Runner has the stock suspension and it almost never goes on real off-road trails (that's what my Wrangler is for), although it does occasionally see rough Colorado mountain/dirt roads (aka "easy" 4x4 trails). It's my wife's daily driver, and I have two young kids (2yrs & 4yrs) so I definitely don't want shocks that are too stiff. On the other hand, my wife is really picky, so I don't want shocks that are too soft.

From other posts, I've found the following brands/models that should work, and they're all around $40-$50 each:

KYB Gas-A-Just
Monroe Sensa-Trac
Tokico HP

(I don't list Bilstein because I'm concerned they'd be too stiff for our needs.)

My local dealer is selling Toyota shocks for about the same price, but if I go online to a site like http://toyotadiscountparts.com they claim to be selling the OEM shocks for $28.97 each.

So I'm wondering if I buy online from that site if I'm really getting the OEM shocks, and even so does it make more sense to get one of the other brands (even though my wife just wants the same quality ride as the original shocks). Would they be any better, and would we even notice a difference?

I know it probably doesn't matter, but any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 AM

get the green tokicos. Or the OEM tokicos.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Get the tokico trekmasters.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM

Another vote for the Trekmasters. I just put on OME's up front and they're the best shocks I've ever owned...but they're $$$.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have KYB white on the front and the KYB red heavy duty on the back because I sometimes haul a couple hundred pounds of gear in the back. I don't think they are too stiff, though I was tempted by the recommendations of the softer riding Tokico trekmasters.

With the KYB I get very little body lean, such as going around a highway clover leaf turn at higher speeds. The tires feel like they are stuck to the road with magnets. Rolls right over huge pot holes at higher speeds with no sweat and no loss of control.

My 4runner had Gabriel shocks on it when I bought it and I didn't like them. They had too much roll/ lean and loss of steering control when running over a series of pot holes at higher speeds. I think the 4runner is after all a truck and NOT a luxury car which I think the Gabriels were meant to emulate.

Last edited by cnmrosko; 08-06-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have some Bilsteins from my 99 that will fit you and for cheap-I am over in classifieds. Some people think they are too stiff-mine are broken in with about 2 years usage and 30K miles. You could do all 4 corners if so inclined.
Probably time to do the rear springs anyways if you have the "sag" going on.

Just saying you could have mine -even if you did not like them you will spend very little to try out Bilsteins. I describe the ride as firm and well controlled.

I liked the ride with them and it improved even more when I added some weight up front-the ARB bumper.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the advice (especially the detailed info from cnmrosko). I found the Tokico Trekmasters online for about the same price as the other options so I just ordered them. Hopefully they turn out to be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.