Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

To sell or not to sell - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sell or not to sell - what would you do?

Ok, I'm at a crossroads and need some input by some fellow 4runner guys. I have had my 96 limited for 2 and 1/2 years. Over those 2 years, I've learned how to work on a vehicle. I've installed every mod I've purchased including the suspension lift,diff drop,body lift, replaced cvs, etc. Countless hours and skin off my knuckles has been put into this vehicle. I have had it for sale now for a couple months and haven't had anyone go through with their offer. They back out for whatever reason. The blue book on it dropped over $1000 since i put 2000 miles on it (175k - 177k). And now it's almost not ever worth selling it due to how little I could get for it. I still owe money on it.

If I decide to keep it, I would have to make some changes. Those mostly being all modifications removed and back to stock to keep gas mileage within my budget. Also, back to stock tires that aren't so expensive and that will last longer than the MT/R's. I would need to sell some of the modifications before I could even afford new tires.

If I sell it, I wont be getting what I need to pay off what I owe and I still have to buy another vehicle so I'm starting to steer away from that direction.

Let me know what you guys think if you were in my position. Remember I am a college student on a budget.. and I love everything about my 4runner, stock or modded.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

I know exactly how you feel man. But ive been told that you only live once and money comes and goes. As for your situation, I would keep the 4runner and possibly think about getting rid of some of the stuff you go on there(sell me ur TJM!!!) LOL. A better set(more practical and lasts longer) of tires would be idea. I believe FilthyRich has a set of 285 revos, but im sure you probably want to downsize. The 4runner is one hell of a vehicle though, I would definately try to keep it. If it is getting to the point where you are barely surviving, then it might be better to get rid of it. BUt as you stated, you have 180k on it and it might just be better to keep it. GOod luck and i hope ive helped

Last edited by Localmotion; 08-10-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:18 PM

in any decision tree, there is always the much-overlooked "null hypothesis". which is "do nothing".

meaning, why not just keep your truck exactly how it is? 1) drive your mudder tires until they are salami skins. in the mean time, save a bit of money every month, and when you are finally on salamis, you can buy some revos. 2) ease up on the gas pedal (and henceforth the brakes, like yin and yang), it will save you a little cash (also break out the bike for minor errands like a bag of groceries and going to class or the beer barrel, eat more pasta and peanut butter banana sandwiches, etc.) That way you will still have your sweet and reliable ride for important family functions and roaders, for years to come.

also, keeping a nearly new vehicle for as many miles as possible (you can get 2 - 300,000++ easily with reg maint) is by far the most financially sound option in the long run.

seems to me that it will cost you very little to keep what you have. just my 0.02. good luck on you decision, i'm sure you will make the best one for you.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 PM

Yeah you are up there on the list to buy the TJM if i sell it, but i really want to trade it for an exact match front stock bumper or a 99+ limited bumper would work as well and i'd retrofit it.

Anyone want the roofrack?? It was purchased in march 2005 and is still perfect. $175 pickup only.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:51 PM

Yeah i dont have much tread left at all actually.. I realized i have 23k miles on these and 12k of those were w/ a bad power steering rack = out of alignment.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ASU4runner
Yeah i dont have much tread left at all actually.. I realized i have 23k miles on these and 12k of those were w/ a bad power steering rack = out of alignment.
man that stinks. A lot of people have told me that the BFGs last a lot longer than the MT/Rs, but tahts a whole diff thread. Revos would be the best bet or some bfg ats(they wear like rocks)

P.S. i just saw some pics of your runner...that thing is sweet. Id definately keep it...bajas got a good plan!

Last edited by Localmotion; 08-10-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:13 PM

eh, i like the silver since i have silver flares and on the doors.. Looks good on yours as all white. Thanks though!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried E-bay yet?

I dont know how NC is, but, in California, that thing would sell pretty quick ...

Or at least I think it would.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

If I didn't have a 4r I would be in Boone buying yours. I think it is perfect. Screw the milage. It a Toyota. If you still owe money on it, then selling it to buy a commuter vehicle on solves part of the problem.

I would put some 265/75s or even my used 275s. That will help gas mileage and that seems to be small cure for the everyday problem. Another thing to consider, you live/ go to school in Boone. An ex-girlfirend used to go there and I have been there many times. You are in the mountains, it snows, etc. You will need the 4R this winter (most likely). It is not imperative, but you already have it.

Maybe sell the BL, bumper, and rack. Leave the rest of the suspension (stock sucks) This will free up a little cash, improve gas mileage, and end your self-inflicted torture .

I have the stock, chrome bumper off my wife's 99 SR5, 275 BFG ATs----I still want those IPF's and Localmotion (Matt) would take the TJM.

This allows you to have a 4x4, still wheel it, and not go into further debt with 2 vehicles.

Hope this helps
Old 08-11-2005, 05:34 AM
Banned

you could take off the tjm and find a cheap stock bumper temporarily, maybe paint it black to look better (and get rid of chrome). some of that stuff you can just take off to take weight off, but you might not have to sell it, unless you need the money. but IMO, your 4runner is sweet, and i wouldnt sell it
Old 08-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree... get rid of the body lift, TJM, rack, etc. sell the MT/R's on ebay - i had 37k on my set and got $200 local and could have easily gotten more. after that, get some decent AT's like nitto terra grapplers (about $600 installed for 265/75's) and you'll be back to getting about 17 or 18 MPG.

you can get a OEM bumper + some cash (~$150-$200) for the TJM

you can get $150+ for the rack

you can get ~$100-150 for the Hella's

you can get ~$75-100 for the body lift if you have the steering extension and grade 8 hardware

you can get $200 and maybe $250 for the MT/R's

that's about $700 total and it's more stock. take that $ and get some decent long-lasting AT's so you can still have fun w/ it. ride them til they're bald. by that time, you should be out of college or about to finish and when you get a "career" job, then you'll be able to afford to build it back up as a serious trail rig cause then you can buy a cheap DD to get you back and forth to work.

just my $0.02. don't spend it all at once...
Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with everyone here. I really like the idea of selling the bumper, lights, BL and rack, keeping the suspension and just getting new tires. It'll keep you and I from having to do the suspension next weekend, and it'll keep the hardest part done for once your graduate and your ready to get back into modding again.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I gotta throw my .02 cents in here. If you are happy with the truck, I would keep it AS IS. Like another post said, go easy on the skinny pedal to reduce gas, save $20 bucks a week by eating out less, ramen noodles, whatever you have to do -- and I hate to even suggest this but cut down on the beer money or maybe switch to a cheaper brand . I don't think you can put a price on your happiness. You haven't mentioned any problems with your truck, so what if the econobox that you buy turns out to be a money pit?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
I gotta throw my .02 cents in here. If you are happy with the truck, I would keep it AS IS. Like another post said, go easy on the skinny pedal to reduce gas, save $20 bucks a week by eating out less, ramen noodles, whatever you have to do -- and I hate to even suggest this but cut down on the beer money or maybe switch to a cheaper brand . I don't think you can put a price on your happiness. You haven't mentioned any problems with your truck, so what if the econobox that you buy turns out to be a money pit?
I agree, if you like the truck and it's in good shape....keep it. Save a few bucks somewhere else to compensate (like others have stated on this forum).
Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

If you are upside down on the loan, keep it.

What will the MPG difference be, stock vs. current?

How much will you really save a year?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
I already have switched to natty lt or busch lt when drinking with friends so that's taken care of!

I really don't have any problems other than the brakes right now. Rotors get warped so quick up here w/ all the extra weight i'm carrying (big tires, bumper, etc.) combined with steep mountain roads. I go through brakes every 6-8 months. (maybe i should switch to a better quality pad and rotor). Got any suggestions??

Also, the timing belt will need to be changed fairly soon I feel. Owner before me did it at approx. 80k and it has nearly 180k now..
Old 08-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bluto
If you are upside down on the loan, keep it.

What will the MPG difference be, stock vs. current?

How much will you really save a year?

STOCK: I got 17 - 23mpg when i drove conservatively.

CURRENT: I now get 14 - 18mpg if i drive very conservatively.

Over the span of a year it would come out to a couple hundred difference. When gas is $2.35/gal those couple gallons difference really do add up!

Last edited by ASU4runner; 08-11-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stump1883
I agree with everyone here. I really like the idea of selling the bumper, lights, BL and rack, keeping the suspension and just getting new tires. It'll keep you and I from having to do the suspension next weekend, and it'll keep the hardest part done for once your graduate and your ready to get back into modding again.
Haha i knew that would be your take on it! Yes you're getting my BL and do you not think the stance will look ridiculous on 265's?? My susp. is about 3".
Old 08-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ASU4runner
Haha i knew that would be your take on it! Yes you're getting my BL and do you not think the stance will look ridiculous on 265's?? My susp. is about 3".
You knew what mine looked like at the Jambo. those were 265 Revo's, you can go review the pics if you want. It looked fine to me, just not where I wanted it, but still alot better than stock. Stock will make you cry, you won't even have to step up to get in.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
If I didn't have a 4r I would be in Boone buying yours. I think it is perfect. Screw the milage. It a Toyota. If you still owe money on it, then selling it to buy a commuter vehicle on solves part of the problem.

I would put some 265/75s or even my used 275s. That will help gas mileage and that seems to be small cure for the everyday problem. Another thing to consider, you live/ go to school in Boone. An ex-girlfirend used to go there and I have been there many times. You are in the mountains, it snows, etc. You will need the 4R this winter (most likely). It is not imperative, but you already have it.

Maybe sell the BL, bumper, and rack. Leave the rest of the suspension (stock sucks) This will free up a little cash, improve gas mileage, and end your self-inflicted torture .

I have the stock, chrome bumper off my wife's 99 SR5, 275 BFG ATs----I still want those IPF's and Localmotion (Matt) would take the TJM.

This allows you to have a 4x4, still wheel it, and not go into further debt with 2 vehicles.

::
I definatley agree!!!! Im itching to get a tjm, hell id come down with in the next week to swap! I could pick up filthyrichs ipfs at the same time, since im living in richmond again

Quick Reply: To sell or not to sell - what would you do?