Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TO SELL OR NOT (4th Gen S/C runner)

Old 03-31-2004, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TO SELL OR NOT (4th Gen S/C runner)

Okay, after ignoring my feelings for over a year now I can't take it anymore. This past weekend I went out on a little excursion with my cousin and his 4x4 explorer. I thought my s/c 2wd runner would hold its own, turns out it didn't. I ended up getting stuck and the explorer had to pull me out.

Here is what I want to do sell my s/c runner, and buy a 4wd runner. What do you guys think, would I be talking a huge lost. Or am I just crazy and I should just stay with my rig.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:46 AM

I would keep the charged 2wd and go buy a beater to build for use off road. For what you are going to lose selling and the expense you would incur with the 4wd purchase, you could find a decent older toy and still have funds to add things like lift, tires, etc.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:50 AM

I can help ya get the 4wd...sell me your supercharger

Though you would take a loss, IMHO it is worth it. If you are gonna buy a runner/taco that is 2wd, you at least want a rear locker. I am not informed enough about our rigs in 2wd form, so i cant say if you have a locker or not...I am sure you know though. If you wanna save some dinero on the new one, I would look for an 03' 4wd V-8 that is completely stripped otherwise, that way you dont run into probs with X-reas, and save some cash. Hit me back with any other questions...if you do want to sell the supercharger, let me know. Good Luck.

Billy
Old 03-31-2004, 10:52 AM
lee
Contributing Member

why not go for a 3rd gen limited 4wd?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Guess that depends on what your plans are.

What I mean is, if you plan on going out on "excursions" semi-frequently, it might be wise to upgrade to a 4x4, if you can deal with the financial lose.

But, if the "excursions" are going to be far a few between, (and you can stomach being pulled out of a jam occassionally), then I'd probably stick with the 2x4 as opposed to taking a big $$$ hit.

If you choose the second scenario, I'd definitely recommend you consider pulling the S/C off your current 2x4 and look for 4x4 that the S/C would bolt up to.

Just nickles worth....

Last edited by hillbilly; 03-31-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, i say go for the 4wd.

you only go on such excursions occasionally now, but with 4wd you'll make it point to hit the trails often. there's always the PistonSlap plan, but i'm i'm guessing you mean a DD 4wd.

sure you'll take a loss, but it's worth it. it's only money, there's more to be made. you'll have more fun and even more options with the endless modding game. like others said, look for one you can transfer the sc too.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Since I don't have the wrench time, removing the s/c is not possible. If I sell the rig, it would be as a package.

D***t I should have never found this place, cost me a fortune in mods. To many cool 4wd rigs here, hard to ignore this feeling.

Last edited by Biff; 03-31-2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:10 AM

Biff-

I would fly to Cali and gladly remove the supercharger and throw you whatever cash you feel is fair...fill me in asap.

Billy

I could also even pay for a buddy of mine to show up at your house and yank it and mail it to me...it is up to you my friend. I would love to buy it from ya.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Biff, didn't you get the SC installed at the stealer?

You might want to go to a stealer and see how much it'd cost ya to switch to a 4wd. They have some rebates going on right now (or they did) so you might look into that if you really want the 4wd.

Figure w/ the SC, you might be able to get by with an even trade? Dunno though it is going back to the stealer though...
Old 03-31-2004, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the above statement.

I think your best bet is to work out a deal for the dealer to take back the 2wd and have them sell it and then make you a deal on a new or slightly used 4th gen 4x4 (I suggest used for the best price and don't be scared of mileage). Then go ahead and swap your S/C over to the new vehicle (I doubt they will give you much for the S/C on a trade in and private sale will lose quite a bit as well). Otherwise you will take a bath on the whole deal with not as much to show for it as you would if you had worked with the dealer. I dislike dealers, but in this case I think it is your best bet if you definately want a 4x4.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-31-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Yup, got it installed at my local stealer. I thought about that, just another thing to consider.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biff
Yup, got it installed at my local stealer. I thought about that, just another thing to consider.
They may even cut you a deal on the install for the S/C and swapping the intakes.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Biff: before you do the switch, I'd like to see it

Check out Toyota.com on their used veh search

Some stuff I found for ya during lunch:
Elmore Toyota - 03 White 16,000mi V8 4WD (cladding)
Longo Toyota - 03 Ltd White V8 4WD (Colored cladding)
Mossy Toyota - 03 Sport Black V6 4WD (I Think - cladding) $25,695
Huntington Beach Toyota - 03 Sport Green V6 4WD (cladding) $29,495

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get a pretty good deal on the trade. If you keep the SC on there, maybe they'll do an even swap w/ a new 04? or a slightly used 03. I'd say use the stealer as they'll love to have a used SC on their lot to MARK UP!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:01 PM

Keep what you have and buy a 93-95 FZJ80 Landcruiser in the 150K mile range for around $8-9K. The FZJ80 will do your off road stuff and then you can pull your buddy out. Plus the FZJ80 is good for 300K before the first overhaul. If you trade you will lose $8-9K so think of the Landcruiser as a freebie. Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

I think that if you are going to go off-road a lot, then you should go for a 4X4. But I think that you should take the S/C off, you would be better off paying someone to take it off, and have it installed on your new 4th gen, then taking the loss on the s/c.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pitbull
Keep what you have and buy a 93-95 FZJ80 Landcruiser in the 150K mile range for around $8-9K. The FZJ80 will do your off road stuff and then you can pull your buddy out. Plus the FZJ80 is good for 300K before the first overhaul. If you trade you will lose $8-9K so think of the Landcruiser as a freebie. Good Luck.

Thats a good idea. You mean something like this
Old 03-31-2004, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Biff
Thats a good idea. You mean something like this
Victor I bet you could buy that one for around $7-7.5K Did not say anything about having lockers so if you buy on without lockers you need to figure on adding some so keep that in your budget.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

I will never buy another new car again and then take it off roading. I say keep the new truck. And get yourself a beater rig. If it gets messed up, it won't hurt as much. You'll be more capable with an older built up rig then you'll ever be with the 4th generation and the current off roading aftermarket products available for it. A beater rig will run you between $5-7k. and thats not too much more then what your going to lose when you trade it in.
All these people telling you that the supercharger will bring you more on your trade. Thats not the case at all, they don't even count it when they appraise your vehicle. They recommend you remove it and then sell it seperately. They will even go as far as to tell you that your vehicle is worth less b/c it has a s/c. Because future buyers will think you abused your vehicle (ie raced). good luck
Old 03-31-2004, 02:19 PM

I would love to tell ya what Lance is saying to do is possible as far as the 03' blown runner swap straight up for a new 04', there is no way in the world. Here's a past example. My dad bought a d-cab loaded when they first came out, as well as the optional canopy/topper and 2nd gen blower thru the dealer. For whatever reason he was unhappy with the vehicle and took it back to the dealer and bought a different rig. This is a dealership that between he, myself, and friends has sold nearly 20 rides in our direction due to the fact we are good friends with the owner and our local yota dealer is a bunch of *****. He ate nearly 6 grand on this brand new blown d-cab that had less than 1000 miles. Sad, but entirely true. I really wish you the best with whatever you decide to do, but personally I have always been way more successful selling to private parties. My last 3 vehicles have gone for more than I initially paid for them thru the dealer. Though it is true that I had way more money into the vehicles in mods(something you will never get your $$ back for), I was still able to do better than break even which seems pretty satisfying at the time. If you have some time to sit on your ride, I would explore this route first. Second, if you do plan to get a new V-8 4x4, yank your blower and throw it on that one. I would hate to see it get thrown away with your current vehicle, as you have been our hero with the supercharger(not that you are the one and only with it, but one of the very first, plus you helped me locate one for a very reasonable price, though I still do not have the $$ as I keep throwing it away on my stereo). Good Luck Biff. We all want to see ya get a sweet new 4x4 and a great deal as well.

Billy
Old 03-31-2004, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, some really good advice. I'll probably end up getting a trail rig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TO SELL OR NOT (4th Gen S/C runner)