Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

seat conversion/engine swap?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SEAT CONVERSION/ENGINE SWAP?!?!?!?!

hey i'm new to the board i'm in the market for a 4runner and i am already having some thoughts about what i wanna do to it when i get it would it be possible to put sport bucket seats in all the way around and take out the rear bench i think that would be real tight so yeah. also is there anyone on here who doesn't go offroad with there truck and has put some phatty rims on it if so what kind and do you have any sugestions on motor swaping has anyone done the 7MGTE swap and what do you all need is it a pretty strait forward swap?
thank you for the help SEAN

Last edited by JLSubThumper; 02-07-2003 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:59 PM

This should help:

7MGTE 4Runner Swap
Old 02-09-2003, 06:18 PM

ok thanks i still need help on the seats and what buckets would be good for the front and are there any angel eye conversions for the headlights
?
Old 02-10-2003, 06:18 AM

Xcuse my ignorance - what are angel eyes? Are those the decals people put on their cars to make their headlights look round? If you have a 2nd gen I'd stay clear - the 9004 setup is already a finicky setup - very hard to get a good pattern.

As for the rear seats - stick your fingers between the bottom cushion and back and find the small straps - pull them forward. Now you can lay down your seats. Doesn't look to me like a front bucket would fit but more power to you if you figure out a way to do it.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:29 AM

No one has put angel eyes on their 4Runner that I know of, but I think it would look funny with headlights that are rectangular. What generation 4Runner are looking for? The third gen has very comfortable rear seat I've never ridden in a second gen so I don't know about them.

There are people who have put larger wheels on, the search button is your friend.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:46 AM

thanks for the help fellas and ladies if any ladies replied i am looking for a second gen if anyone is selling on cuz what i am thinking about doing with the back seats is doing buckets in the back and then puting 1 sub enclosure behind each bucket so there is still a space in the middle all the way back so like if i need to haul 2x4's or somethin i can still do it then does anyone know of what kinda lowering springs i should get and has anyone on here lowerd there 4runner how much should i lowerit? and what rims should i get like 22's what kind? and also i saw some phat gauges on car domain but i lost the link they were like reverse glow or somethin does anyone know what kind i'm talking about also that 7mgte swap sounds pretty hard so i was wondering if there was any engine i could put in also sory i iknow there is alot of stuff looking for a crome brush gaurd that would look good needs to cover the head lights. my plan is to make one mean cruiser please help and thanks for thoes who have already helped also i didn't understand your post did you say there werent even after market seats for the front buckets?!?!?!?!
thanks
SEAN

KEEP IT THUMPIN JL TILL I DIE!!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JLSubThumper
thanks for the help fellas and ladies if any ladies replied i am looking for a second gen if anyone is selling on cuz what i am thinking about doing with the back seats is doing buckets in the back and then puting 1 sub enclosure behind each bucket so there is still a space in the middle all the way back so like if i need to haul 2x4's or somethin i can still do it then does anyone know of what kinda lowering springs i should get and has anyone on here lowerd there 4runner how much should i lowerit? and what rims should i get like 22's what kind? and also i saw some phat gauges on car domain but i lost the link they were like reverse glow or somethin does anyone know what kind i'm talking about also that 7mgte swap sounds pretty hard so i was wondering if there was any engine i could put in also sory i iknow there is alot of stuff looking for a crome brush gaurd that would look good needs to cover the head lights. my plan is to make one mean cruiser please help and thanks for thoes who have already helped also i didn't understand your post did you say there werent even after market seats for the front buckets?!?!?!?!
thanks
SEAN

KEEP IT THUMPIN JL TILL I DIE!!!!
Holy run-on sentence batman! :eek:
Old 02-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

I really don't think that "stock front bucket seats" will work. The 4Runners floor board goes up in the back (for the gas tank and spare tire. So I believe that the front seats would be too tall..
Old 02-10-2003, 06:26 PM

ok well i guess i should re phrase the question. are there repacements in the front for the front bucket seats?
Old 02-10-2003, 06:59 PM

also what about the gauges and the cow catcher/brush gaurd? anyone have any recomendations for thoes?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:18 AM
CTB

I think Acura Integra seats (maybe it was Celica) seats can be made to work in the front. Try a search at www.4x4wire.com and see what you can find.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:33 AM

has anyone done the 3.4 liter swap and how much was it for all expences? this would be greatly apreciated and are there any reverse glow gauges for second gen 4runners?
Old 02-12-2003, 09:51 AM

HELP PLEASE!!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 10:17 AM

For the 3.4 swap, you might contact Offroad Solutions. They have kits, and they have done the swap. They will be able to give you an idea on cost.

I have reverse glow gauges, found them on eBay from a seller named trendracing. I am very happy, I will try to post pics in the near future. They were about $50 shipped.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:01 PM

do you have a second gen channer?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys, the link up top for the motor swap doesnt work. Im VERY interested in rebuilding/replacing my drive train. I have a 2nd gen 4runner with 214,000 miles, so you can see why...

Originally posted by JLSubThumper
do you have a second gen channer?
I do! 1990 4runner with the 3.0L. I just ordered the reverse gauges from ebay for 34bux, I have H4 headlight conversions (bought from the infamous "thebulbwarehouse" on ebay), I also have the ever ricey LED washer nozzles...lol

I'll be getting the clear bumper lenses directly, but my BIG thing right now is trying to find altezza's for a 1990 4runner.... preferrably in black chrome.

Oh about the system click the 'www' link down below for my sounddomain page. (I metered a legal 159.8db @ 42hz via a termlab mic - I dont do outlaw metering - far too easy to get a big #) The site isnt current in my system as the wall is out and Im waiting for DD (digital designs) to release the 3rd generation 9915... That sub combined with 8kw should be most interesting....
Old 02-12-2003, 06:16 PM

hey are you planing on lowering your runner? and gosh i test drove a 92 V6 today and they seem way under powerd i don't see why most ppl dont just go ahead and do the swap? what are you running in your car bumpin yota? i couldn't follow you on all that. i have 2 jl 12W7's each powerd by a zapco 750 that ˟˟˟˟ bumps hard i hav enot had it meeterd but it sure sounds like my car is gonna vibrate apart. i think it is o well JL TILL THE DAY I DIE!!!
Old 02-13-2003, 09:00 AM

also i kinda wana know what everyone else is runnin in their rig for systems what you got what kinda interior work do you have done to it?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CTB
I think Acura Integra seats (maybe it was Celica) seats can be made to work in the front. Try a search at www.4x4wire.com and see what you can find.
I just did a Integra seat swap in my truck today. I think I got them out of a 91 Integra. The front two bolts match up on the passenger side with a little force. Only one of them match up on the drivers side. Which is good to give a good start off point. Then I just bent the tabs on the back of the seats so that they were flat. After that I just drilled some holes and bolted them up with some grade 8 hardware. Only one bolt is missing and thats the bolt next to the shifter on the drivers seat. Pretty nice upgrade from the front 60/40 bench I had. I need to find some seat covers now so that the seats match my interior color scheme. I don't know how different it would be for a 4runner.

Originally Posted by JLSubThumper
also i kinda wana know what everyone else is runnin in their rig for systems what you got what kinda interior work do you have done to it?
Http://www.cardomain.com is your friend. Follow that link or the link on the bottom of my sig.