Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

in search of the quiet Taco

Old 12-29-2003, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in search of the quiet Taco

so I finally decided to try do some sound deadening in the Taco. I got some second Skin Damplifier with the intent to get it and compare it to some other products, but other expenses have come about and I just decided to go ahead snd try the 20sqft that I have. I used that about 30 sq ft of foam rubber carpet runner from Home De'pot, and a 6x6ft sheet of 8# carpet padding. The 20 sq ft (as warned by Anthony from Second Skin) wasn't nearly enoung to do the cab.
Getting everything out was fairly easy, but it does help to have a second pair of hands working on the other side of the truck to pull stuff out - if nothing else to cut down on time. The only really hard part was getting the metal decks that form the rear cargo areas out. There are three bolts that are just behind the back interior panel that are hard to get to if you can't figure out how to get that interior plastic off (which I didn't) eventually I got pissed and just cut a little hole above the one that gave me the most trouble. Besides that, nothing huge.
I decided to use the Damplifier on the footwells as high up behind the dash as I could reach and the around the trans shift. I ended up putting a few squares along the the driveshaft hump all the way to the back. In the Great Sight of Hind, I think I should have skipped going past the trans shifter area and covered used the remainder of the material to go back over the footwells.
After the Damplifier, I laid the carpet runner down in four big chunks . I used the carpet as a pattern and cut a solid piece from the 8# padding and laid that down. The difficulty here come in making sure that you haven't covered up any important holes. One idea could be using putting all of the seat bolts and any other bolts back into their wholes while your do the install so you always have markers for holes to be cut in the various dampening materials.
Last, I just loaded e'thing back in. Now stuff gets nasty. Because you just added about an inch to the floor height, the carpet is off in all location by about that much. I think it wouldn't have been such an issue if I'd not tried to put the 8# in as a single piece; just cut so it covers the big spaces.
Started doing this much later that I anticipated (one of the factors being my cousin having a few wheel mount bolts sheer while he was driving - no one hurt, though). I ended up working on it about 12 hours straight. Much of that having to do with ignorance of how to get that rear interrior trim off, much other of having to do with diminishing light (you'd think that I'd have learned from me DIY cruise control experience).
It does seem to have diminshed the engine noise some, but now the wind noise seems amplified. I also think I've got to get something on that rear wall and the doors. Still seem to have a lot of road roar....
One other nice aspect was the reduction of vibrations from the floor being transmitted to my feet. I thought about this before, but I never realized how much better the car would seem to ride by just putting some padding under my feet. I'd suggest that even if you didn't want to remove your entire interior, you might at least consider putting some kind of padding in the footwells.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 AM

Question quiet Taco

Not tryin to be a wise ass ( mabey a little ) but, why didn't you buy a lincoln or caddy? I mean after all it is a truck
Old 12-29-2003, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

I have been wanting to do this since I saw Bob_98SR5's writeup. I am probably going to do it this summer.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:58 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i like hearing my truck roar and bump around...
Old 12-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Tried it on several other vehicles. Most noise is wind noise or enters through windows. Reduction by blocking is minimal improvement. Reduction by absorption is much more effective. (i.e. plush velure interiors)
Old 12-29-2003, 08:56 AM

Re: quiet Taco

Originally posted by shovelhead
Not tryin to be a wise ass ( mabey a little ) but, why didn't you buy a lincoln or caddy? I mean after all it is a truck

because not every mod is about horsepower
Old 12-29-2003, 02:06 PM

I dunno... my rig isnt that loud inside.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by 1Runner
I dunno... my rig isnt that loud inside.

I actually think that DC's and 4runner 'shave the advantage of having more distance between the driver and all four walls.... some of the sound dissipates 'fore it gets to the ear. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that I would've been better off doing the roof doors and back wall than the floor, but the doors (and back wall if I can figure out how to get that panel off ) are next.

I was riding today and there seemed to be a big difference as long as I was under 50mph. After that the wind and road noise seemed to kick up. Guess that's what I get for stickin' them big 8.5 inch tires on there...

Of course, the noise doesn't really bother me until I go on my longer trips.

Of course, I also thought that my '99 Galant could've been quieter on long trips
Old 12-29-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just b/c you have a truck doesnt mean you have to 'put up' with all the shortcomings of a truck. my manhood is not measured by how much discomfort i can take either. the way i see it, the more you can make your vehicle more comfortable, the more you will enjoy it.

as travis mentioned, that is my article and that is what i went through to make my 4runner more quiet. because i drive it on a daily basis and sometimes use it for business purposes (clients), having a quieter cabin is nice. beats talking REALLY loud or yelling.

Most noise is wind noise or enters through windows. Reduction by blocking is minimal improvement.
yes, 4rnr, you're absolutely right...to a point. i hear less road noise coming from the bottom of the floor than i did before the mod. my rear passengers always comment on how quiet it is back there. most of the sound deadening is done in the back.

as for the wind noise, the gigantic mirrors do make a lot of noise on the freeway. that you can not do anything about. but as for me, the mod was totally worth it and i would recommend it to anyone.

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 12-29-2003 at 07:07 PM.