Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sea Foam

Old 09-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sea Foam

anyone tried it? It's not sold in Canada, but a guy I know brought some back with him and says his 6 cylinder FJ40 feels like it has a V8 now. I'm very skeptical of stuff like this and would like some input. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sizzle,

this was an extremely hot topic many months ago. you have to search this term!

bob
Old 09-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is sold in canada.....

Central Auto Parts and Distribution
403-259-8655

CarQuest

Auto Value
Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
sizzle,

this was an extremely hot topic many months ago. you have to search this term!

bob
SC, try using the term "seafoam" rather than "sea foam". Come to think of it search using both terms, what the heck.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:58 PM

about sea foam

Originally Posted by SizzleChest
anyone tried it? It's not sold in Canada, but a guy I know brought some back with him and says his 6 cylinder FJ40 feels like it has a V8 now. I'm very skeptical of stuff like this and would like some input. Thanks.
YES, BE SKEPTICAL! You do not need any after market additives. Remember that the companies that make these products do not make the oil that goes in your engine. So, you have two different molecular compounds in your engine at once. A lot of these after market additives are actually detrimental to your engine. If you will read the owners manual to your toyota it should say do not use any A.M.O.A(after market oil additives). The FTC is in the process of a lawsuit against zMax. Why spend all of this extra money on these products if you cant extend your drain intervals. I have a great website that will explain this. Go to http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/1157349 and scroll down the left side of the screen to the informative articles section and read the article entitled just say no to after market oil additives. We push the 25,000 mile/ or 1 year oil change. I have gone as far as 22,000 miles on 1 oil change and my truck still runs like a new one even after 156,000 miles. I now get close to 29 mpg out of a 4 wheel drive
Old 09-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Saw the website you're talking about but 25,000 mile oil changes. I'm a little naive but this is the first I've heard of this. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by AMSOILKing
YES, BE SKEPTICAL! You do not need any after market additives. Remember that the companies that make these products do not make the oil that goes in your engine. So, you have two different molecular compounds in your engine at once. A lot of these after market additives are actually detrimental to your engine. If you will read the owners manual to your toyota it should say do not use any A.M.O.A(after market oil additives). The FTC is in the process of a lawsuit against zMax. Why spend all of this extra money on these products if you cant extend your drain intervals. I have a great website that will explain this. Go to http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/1157349 and scroll down the left side of the screen to the informative articles section and read the article entitled just say no to after market oil additives. We push the 25,000 mile/ or 1 year oil change. I have gone as far as 22,000 miles on 1 oil change and my truck still runs like a new one even after 156,000 miles. I now get close to 29 mpg out of a 4 wheel drive
Old 09-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seafoam isnt an oil additive...its an intake\injector cleaner...its burned soon after you pour it into your vaccum system...it CAN clog your cat up if you have enough junk in your motor...but if you use the proper amount your pretty safe.

and yes it works and is worth using every few thousand miles...if you think your truck runs nice run some seafoam through it than come back and talk to us!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 PM

My 89 Toyota V6 truck was running like ÅÅÅÅ. My room mate stuck one of my vacum lines into the bottle and you should have seen all the nasty ÅÅÅÅ that came out of my exhaust. Truck ran better thereafter.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GunManOsh
My room mate stuck one of my vacum lines into the bottle
i don't think ur supposted to put the line in the bottle or you can hydro lock your enging. right? just dump it in slowly. anyway i haven't used it kuz of the bad stories i'v heard and i don't have money to fix my truck if i screw it up. just my $0.02
Old 09-29-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
seafoam isnt an oil additive...its an intake\injector cleaner...its burned soon after you pour it into your vaccum system...it CAN clog your cat up if you have enough junk in your motor...but if you use the proper amount your pretty safe.

and yes it works and is worth using every few thousand miles...if you think your truck runs nice run some seafoam through it than come back and talk to us!
i got a bottle yesterday but haven't added it yet. i am always skeptical of stuff like this. i have not heard of any really bad results from it. the 3 guys at NAPA all agreed that it works and had used it their rides w/o any problems .
FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

Blah, Blah, Blah, (WAY OFF TOPIC)
Seafoam isn't an additive. Go edumacate yo-sef.

Originally Posted by surf4runner
i got a bottle yesterday but haven't added it yet. i am always skeptical of stuff like this. i have not heard of any really bad results from it. the 3 guys at NAPA all agreed that it works and had used it their rides w/o any problems .
FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
check this out!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/seafoam-injector-intake-cleaner-good-stuff-64836/

Last edited by bamachem; 10-03-2005 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

yea this has been covered multiple times. that being said, i used it, crap came out, 4runner ran better, no problems. pouring it in was so easy, as long as you have patience and pour slowly. highly recommended!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:50 PM

I just bought a 1988 4Runner about 2 weeks ago with 77k original miles. I figured that since the miles were pretty low that the engine should be in pretty good shape. I decided to bring it to bring it in to a local Toyota dealership to have it checked out for leaks and such. Next thing you know they call me back to tell me that my engine has rod knocks and will need to be overhauled or replaced. This would cost about $8K-$9K through them or $3K elsewhere. I said f* that. I then called my friend and he told me to bring the 4Runner down to the shop he worked at so his friend could listen to it. After about 30 seconds he says "Sea Foam". So my friend shows me what the can looks like and tells me to pick up a can and put 1/2 in the engine and 1/2 in the gas tank. I'm thinking to myself that they can't be serious about this can that looks like it came from the '60s. Not wanting to shell out the money for an engine swap I decided to give it a try. I poured it straight into the engine. It has only been two days but today the clacking noise coming from my engines quieted big time. The noise is not completely gone but it is a world of difference. I think I'll seafoam it again after my next oil change. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by typical8o8; 10-02-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

The moral to that story is, never take your Yota to the stealership! I would not put it past them to make the darn thing throw a rod!
Crooks, every damn one of them!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:28 PM

I've used in a couple poorly running engines with nothing but positive results. Just remember that if a little is good, a lot wil probably cost dearly. Use a little and clean it up slowly to avoid problems.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
Seafoam isn't an additive. Go edumacate yo-sef.
it says right on the bottle that you can use it directly through the crankcase which would definitely classify it as an oil additive.

i put a full bottle through my fuel tank and there is a definite improvement. i'd say that i've noticed a bigger difference from the seafoam than i did when i went from 4.10s (w/33s) to 4.88s (w/33s)
Old 10-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Banned

it says right on the bottle that you can use it directly through the crankcase which would definitely classify it as an oil additive.

i put a full bottle through my fuel tank and there is a definite improvement. i'd say that i've noticed a bigger difference from the seafoam than i did when i went from 4.10s (w/33s) to 4.88s (w/33s)
but you also add it to the crankcase, run just a little bit, and then drain and replace the oil. it's not meant to add lubrication, but to break down and dissolve deposits. BIG difference, NIGHT and DAY difference.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
but you also add it to the crankcase, run just a little bit, and then drain and replace the oil. it's not meant to add lubrication, but to break down and dissolve deposits. BIG difference, NIGHT and DAY difference.

I have two reaponses.

I WILL use it on my intake system and introduce it the throttle body/intake tube. Judging by my pugs after 170k the truck needs some attention/cleaning.

I will NOT EVER put it in the crankcase. Off base or not and whether it was the right place or not, he is right in respect of mixing stuff you know about with stuff you don't in the crankcase.

I work in the oil additive industry and have first hand knowldge of formulations and exactly what works an what does not. If most folks realized how much time and money went into your opil, you would never mess with it.

DISCLAIMER : I am not employed by Amsoil or any related company....

David
Old 10-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

i have tried all 3 at different times and adding to the oil made no noticeable difference. i could definitely feel the added pep after adding it to through the fuel (which I did first). I added to the crankcase a few days later (no difference) and then today I tried it through the vaccum hose connecting to the brake booster (some difference, but not as much as through the fuel).
Old 10-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

i have tried all 3 at different times and adding to the oil made no noticeable difference. i could definitely feel the added pep after adding it to through the fuel (which I did first). I added to the crankcase a few days later (no difference) and then today I tried it through the vaccum hose connecting to the brake booster (some difference, but not as much as through the fuel).
um you arent supposed to put seafoam in your crankcase unless you are immediately changing your oil after a few minutes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sea Foam