Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

School's out, 4Runner improvements on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School's out, 4Runner improvements on the way!

Well it finally happened....my brakes are CRAP, so I ordered some OEM rotors (I really wanted slotted but I really DON'T want have cracked shizzle), I still need to get pads, there are no Auto Zones around here, I don't know where I can get good lifetime replacement pads, any ideas? I'll pay ~$40 for 'em.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call around and check on Raybestos. I've always had good luck with Raybestos.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:11 PM

Oh okay I know a place that carries Raybestos, I thought those were an "iffy" brand?
Old 06-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
Oh okay I know a place that carries Raybestos, I thought those were an "iffy" brand?
that's been my experience with them too. they are like $7 a set at the zone. what kind of quality is expected from that? I replaced mine with those only once on my runner, after 5k I rotated and removed the drum to inspect, as I always do at rotation time, and I'll be danged! the shoe was looks from the bracket and I pulled on it and the show snapped in half and came off the bracket. jumped in the wifes car and headed straight for the nearest stealer to pick up the oem's. they cost me but I didn't have time to wait on them to be shipped at wholesale prices. I would suggest sticking with the yota oem pads and shoes. they will last you a good long time. at least a couple times further than the zone specials. if you will pay that much and don't want to go to yota then try perf. prods. I know they are priced high but they are good quality. there's always the TRD's also. good luck.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

I've never had a bad experience with Raybestos...But then again my last set were removed early after they got lubed by a faulty seal and I went with a set of Toyota brakes. Other than the Toys squealing for a very long time before stopping they've been good shoes. But they will cost you about $70 if I remember correctly.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by gwhayduke
I've never had a bad experience with Raybestos...But then again my last set were removed early after they got lubed by a faulty seal and I went with a set of Toyota brakes. Other than the Toys squealing for a very long time before stopping they've been good shoes. But they will cost you about $70 if I remember correctly.
not if you get them from an online oem parts place or call around to different dealers and see which one will give you internet pricing. Jay Marks and Stirling McCall here in houston will and they only cost me $26.39 from jesse sierra at stirling McCall. I don't like the guy but I got a good price for the pad set. if you are worried about squealing, I have never had this problem and never heard anyone else have it around me, then pick up a shim kit while you are are it. here's the part numbers for my runner

04465-35240 Pad Kit, Disc Brake $26.39 (reg price $36.95)
04945-35040 Shim Kit, Anti Squeal $26.35 (reg price $36.92)

I got both at wholesale pricing from the dealer. TRD's are the ones that are around 70 bones.

A faulty seal is why I went with the raybestos shoes. I replaced the seals and the shoes and use the ray's because in case it leaked again I didn't want to have to buy another set of toyota's. I figured I would go about 5k-10k and check for a leak, if I didn't have one then I'd go ahead and install the toyota shoes again. so I pulled off the Ray shoes and pads and installed the yotas. even before I ever got the shim kit I had never ever heard mine squeal. I have heard the pads shift when changing directions, kind of a click in the front brakes, but that is normal.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:30 AM

I had good results with raybestos on my american cars, but on the toyotas, I had iffy results. I actually warped brand new raybestos rotors with new pads in 6 months on the runner. Went with Toyota rotors and pads, modified the disk brake dust sheild and vent a little, and no more warping problems. Go ahead and spend for the Toyota pads and replace them as needed. You wont be sorry.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:44 AM
WT

Re: School's out, 4Runner improvements on the way!

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
Well it finally happened....my brakes are CRAP, so I ordered some OEM rotors (I really wanted slotted but I really DON'T want have cracked shizzle), I still need to get pads, there are no Auto Zones around here, I don't know where I can get good lifetime replacement pads, any ideas? I'll pay ~$40 for 'em.
I say if you can't get the Performance Frictions from Autozone just go with the Stealerships ... they seem like the next best thing. Usually under $30.00...