Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Savage Off Road Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savage Off Road Bumper

Just ordered me a tube bumper from Savage Off Road!
Heres the one I got.

http://www.savageoffroad.biz/2009/11...r-w-winch.html

It has 2 light tabs, winch plate, d-ring mounts, and the grill guard, but that wont be welded on, and I probably wont put it on at first. I have some plans for it, possibly a skid plate from the bottom of the winch plate to the bottom of the bumper, or possibly bending it around the winch plate to cover the whole front since I will probably not be able to afford a winch for a while. I would also like to get a stinger put on like the one Avid Off Road has on their Taco bumper, here,

http://www.avidoffroad.com/products/1996-2004-tacoma/

I also need some ideas for what to paint this thing with some sort of bed liner. I don't want a textured surface like rhino liner does, but rather a smooth black rubber surface, any paint I try to put on wont hold up out in front.

Pics when i gets here and the process begins.

Last edited by YodasYota; 02-18-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 PM

You'll love the bumper, Doug does good work and he has very good customer service.

Here's the one I got a few weeks ago. It's the new style with 2 light tabs, a winch plate, 2" receiver, and shackle points. I got it unpainted and without the stinger welded on for a pretty reasonable price.

As far as paint goes. I just spray painted mine. I went to tractor supply and got sandable primer and 2 cans of semi gloss meant for farm equipment. I figured it'd make it easier to touch up than a spray on liner (they tend to chip after awhile)

Last edited by Rudy97; 02-18-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang that thing sticks pretty far out there
Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
dang that thing sticks pretty far out there
Yeah, I guess its to make room for lights and a winch.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM

this is how far mine sticks out

oh and Rudy97 if you ever decide to regear..... 5.29s, trust me
Old 02-20-2010, 09:51 AM

Looks to be about the same unless my perspective is off.

I might regear when I lock it, but I've gotta save some cash for that. So much to do so little money to get it all.

I just reinforced the endcaps on the frame rails yesterday with angle iron. Also replaced the factory bolts with grade 8 ones

So far the savage bumper has been wicked sturdy. I jacked up the front of the truck by it when I was shoveling snow out from under. And that was before reinforcing haha.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy97
Looks to be about the same unless my perspective is off.

I might regear when I lock it, but I've gotta save some cash for that. So much to do so little money to get it all.

I just reinforced the endcaps on the frame rails yesterday with angle iron. Also replaced the factory bolts with grade 8 ones

So far the savage bumper has been wicked sturdy. I jacked up the front of the truck by it when I was shoveling snow out from under. And that was before reinforcing haha.
look at the frame ends and how far your lower portion of your bumper sticks out.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Yeah, I guess it does stick out a bit. Hasn't been a big deal. I'd also like to point out there is a hitch receiver in the bottom. It might be pushed out a little because of the need to make room for that. Idk, but it's been just fine on approach lol
Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

How much do you guys think it weighs? I tried to find it on the site but didn't see the weight. Maybe I missed it. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 PM

I don't think it says on the site. But according to UPS it weighs 80lbs but I believe it's around the 70ish area. I'm not a big guy and I can lift this thing without much trouble aside from the shear size.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:07 AM

Mine ships on Monday, got the light tabs added and shes ready to go! Cant decide whether to go ahead and use the grill guard they included or wait and run it a little without one and get the stinger I want added later.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:49 PM

Got my bumper...

Here it is before bed liner

After...

Used duplicolor bed liner, not so happy, going to have to go back and touch up some stops when it gets warm enough, maybe even redo it over the summer. Also have to do something about the wiring for the Hellas, probably going to go straight down the winch plate and across it. Also I'm going to wire the parking lights to blink so I can get rid of the, for now, zipped tied on stock turn signals.

And here it is on the runner...

Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM

looks good.. might wanna get the parking light flasher mod underway soon, the tie downs look a lil goofy Whens the winch going in? Don't forget to reinforce the mounting to the frame if your planning on winching a lot.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think if it was plated on top like mine is it look pretty good
Old 03-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Thought about plating the top but not in the funds right now, so it'll stay as it is for a while. Maybe a winch in the future, a small one, as I don't see myself getting into too sticky of situations, mostly to pull my friends jeep out... maybe he should buy me one . If I do get a winch I will reinforce the mounts for sure, isn't there a reinforcement people do to the frame also if they are going to be winching? Milemarker and Smittybilt(and I'm sure some others) both have 8000lb models for around $300, that's what I'd be getting if it comes to that.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 PM

I get my ARB this coming week and will install on the weekend hopefully...so, Im in the stages of a winch as well. Was thinkin about the smittybilt XRC8. Seems to be a nice affordable winch but I dunno if I can pass up 4wheelparts deal on the m8000 warn for 5 somethin free shipping and a free wireless kit upgrade.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
id like a winch too but i need to fix other stuff first
Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 AM

Ha! Well said Elton, mine needs some fixing too in some places... new o2 sensor, rear axle seals... maybe more, not good, and I need some new shocks in the rear since I just lifted it...
Old 03-16-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by YodasYota
Thought about plating the top but not in the funds right now, so it'll stay as it is for a while. Maybe a winch in the future, a small one, as I don't see myself getting into too sticky of situations, mostly to pull my friends jeep out... maybe he should buy me one . If I do get a winch I will reinforce the mounts for sure, isn't there a reinforcement people do to the frame also if they are going to be winching? Milemarker and Smittybilt(and I'm sure some others) both have 8000lb models for around $300, that's what I'd be getting if it comes to that.
Just need to reinforce the end caps. They are hella thin.

Here's a link. http://www.nwtoys.com/tech/frame-endcap

I didn't think it was necessary to put the angle iron inside like they did. I just cut a chunk to fit over the end and welded it all around. Added grade 8 bolts and that sucker isn't going anywhere.

Yours looks a lot like mine now

The only difference was what I did for the turn signals. Doug sent me a pair of LED markers he had left over and I welded on tabs under the tube to attach them to.

Last edited by Rudy97; 03-16-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:29 AM

I like those turn signals, looks finish will probably drill a whole in my parking light assembly and put the blinker bulb in there and epoxy it in, sound like the easiest course of action.

Quick Reply: Savage Off Road Bumper