Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sas on the way. what driveshaft and how much $$ am i looking at. thanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sas on the way. what driveshaft and how much $$ am i looking at. thanks

hey all, the ifs sucks in my truck. i beat it to hard to leave it. so i need to get a solid axle. how much am i looking at to have the whole thing installed do you think. im gonna just get the axle out of a junker so ill have to rebuild it. also. will my driveshaft work or will i have to get a new one. planning on lifting 3 to 4 inches with lift springs no body lift for me.

thanks fo any help

Old 06-10-2003, 09:44 PM

re: Drive shaft

Hey I'm new to the board...but not to toyota's. Lets see....I believe you said you had a 94' model. Correct me if im wrong, but don't you have a passenger side diff? If you do, then doing a sa swap is going to be really simple for you. You can purchase any short wheel base SA....i think 61-62 wms is going to be fairly close. If you use a old toyota straight axle then you'll be able to "bolt up" (using the term loosely) to your leafs. You'll be able to keep your steering box and if im not mistaken you have drag links. Your model truck doesn't have rack and pinion so if you stay toyota then you should be able to use just about everything. You'll need to cut your ifs frame off and mount some leaf springs. If you don't stay with toyota axles and decide to go dana...then you'll need to index your knuckles 13-14 degrees positive to adjust for the diffrences in your drive line angle. if you stay toyota you should be able to bolt right up. If you switch to a dana 44 you'll need an adaptor. If you have any questions or if anyone can point out any info that i've given misleading statements on then please feel free to let me know.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:19 PM

i envy you. i wish i could get a SAS. the diff is in the middle for the IFS.

for solid axle swap, check out www.allprooffroad.com . they have a great SAS Kit .

Standard front solid axle conversion kit $1,759:

Hy-Steer™ crossover steering
Weld on Shock Hoops with 5100 Series Bilstein shocks
3", 4" or 5" lift front leaf springs
1" lift Spring hanger kit with greasable shackles
Vented Land Cruiser style rotors (Allows use of IFS brake calipers)
1.5" front wheel spacer kit
U-Bolt flip kit
Steel Braided DOT approved brake lines
Bumpstops
Steering Stabilizer and bracket
Kit does not include driveshaft or axle
Upgrade shocks to 5150 Bilsteins $48 additional
Upgrade shocks to 7100 Bilsteins, $220 additional
Rear suspension kit $659

you cant use ur stock IFS drive shaft with a solid axle. youll have to get one somewhere, or fabbed.

i was going to do a SAS, but i figured, for that price, i can get a beater truck like old 4runner, or 80 p/u and make that my trail rig.

let us know if u do it and how it goes!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:55 PM

Actually I beg to differ. The diff is "centered" but where the drive shaft actually enters the front diff is off the either side depending on what type of transfer case drop you have. It does come off to either the driver side or the passenger side depending on how late model the toyota is. All so you can use the stock drive shaft for a solid axle swap. I have several friends running stock drive shafts to a adaptor that mates a toyota drive shaft into a dana 44 axle. For reference check these websites. www.trailcarnage.com This is a good friend of mine Tom Banse. Does great work and you could probably email him for a little advice. Also you can try www.cornfedsuspension.com Another friend whose name is David. He has had both dana 44 and dana 60 front axles underneath his toy. both also using the stock front driveshafts. All Pro does make a kit...but if im not mistaken they include a front drive shaft adapter to convert the stock drive shafts.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:00 PM

Your from bellflower correct? I was born in Kiaser Memorial...=)
Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 PM

For your driveshaft needs talk to High Angle Driveline, a front shaft with long-travel slip will run you about $250 + core.

The front diff in an IFS rig is offset to the passenger side, example. You can see the flange and body of the differential under the transfercase crossmember.

Last edited by Shane; 06-10-2003 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:06 PM

i stand corrected ! it is passenger side. when i thought of it , i just pictured it in the center. :pat:
Old 06-10-2003, 11:07 PM

On the newer model toyotas....i.e. Tacomas....the transfer case is on the driver side. thats why most of us that do the SA swap need to use older ford or early 80 model wagoneer front axles.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by TNTTORA
On the newer model toyotas....i.e. Tacomas....the transfer case is on the driver side.
95.5 and newer... axle selection is a little bit thin in comparason for the earlier rigs.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:10 PM

yep! BORN and RAISED in bellflower! all 23 years of my life (minus one year i lived in Lakewood in my condo) . kaiser on clark and rosecrans, i believe?

wow... someone else from bellflower! COOL!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:12 PM

Tell me about it....it took me forever to find my d-44. High-Pinion reverse cut full width. Its been a chore to try and SA mine. Im planning on running fj-80 coils in the rear by the time im finished.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:15 PM

Yeap... I was born in Bellflower. Grew up in Cerritos, lived in Pamona a couple of years. Spent 2 in Buena Vista on top of the canyons and then moved my sorry butt out to TN. Gotta love the wheeling though. Hit me up sometime and I'll send you a couple of web sites of TELLICO. one of the most feared east coast wheeling spots.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:18 PM

cooL! i grew up in bellflower, went to valley christian high school... and now work at a mortgage co. in cerritos! im sure the wheeling is AWESOME there! sometimes i think of moving out there. my friend lives in GA and she loves it.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:23 PM

What part of Ga? I live in cleveland Tn but work in Dalton Ga. Im about 1 hr from ATL. I manage a cell phone store for a relatively small company. 43 stores scattered throughout the south-east. Here is a link to the last trip we made to tellico. Not the most hard core trails... The trails we are on were considered difficult for stock trucks....which we had one of....=).
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...ected=265527:D
Old 06-10-2003, 11:23 PM

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=265527