Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Salt belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salt belt

Im mad....ive had a tragic loss this weekend...my 2nd gen. lost its virginity. 6in of the white stuff....soon the salt is comming, damn windsheild cracked cause of the bitter cold. I guess my texas runner is going to start to rust huh.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what happened to me when I brought mine up north.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:00 AM

Keep the bottom washed during the winter. When the roads dry after snow/salt, wash the underside. I use Armor-All or eqivalent to coat the entire underside of the Runner. It helps the slush and ice fall off before it builds up. Spray the kind of gease that goes on wet then dries to all bolts etc. When you wash the underside be careful of those do it yourself car washes. Some recirculate the saltwater that comes of cars back into the system.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:09 AM

Good idea, thanks for the info. I dont need the rust. Ill be sure to try that.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:23 AM

Yea, keep the rig as clean as possible. Common household non-stick sprays work well too, and are cheaper than armorall. Just be super careful not to get any one your tires (tread).
Old 11-25-2003, 07:49 AM

are you talking house hold items like pam? or not stick cooking spray?
Old 11-25-2003, 08:55 AM

yea, those non-stick cooking sprays (alternatives to crisco). Pam is one, there are several others too, everyone has their own version of the stuff.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:01 AM

how many cans of pam does it take, I guess all that food debris wont stick either. Good Idea!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Hmm interesting. I was driving through some nasty slush yesterday. It was built up about a foot deep on my rear bushwhacker. Nasty stuff. Oh ya BTW people get pissed when you spin slush onto their hoods at a stop light..hahaa Yes it was accidental.. Was making a right on red up a hill and some guy was inches from my bumper. Got on the gas a little hard in the turn and spun my inside tire. I thought it was funny beings he was tailgating. To keep this thread on track I think the key is keeping your rig clean in the winter. I been busting out my garden hose in near freezing temps to wash under mine. Just make sure you completely drain your hose or it'll be mighty stiff in the morning.....
Old 11-25-2003, 10:39 AM

Ha. welp i might go to the store and buy a box of pam. I was thinking I wonder if bed liner spray would work. I bet it would.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:29 AM

UK, we don't have to worry! Washington doesn't salt the roads. They use sand instead of salt. They are too worried about the runoff of salt into creeks, rivers, and lakes, so we will never have the rust issue.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally posted by Billrunner
how many cans of pam does it take, I guess all that food debris wont stick either. Good Idea!
Great idea, especially for baking cookies with your truck!

Seriously, that would probably work great out here too since we use magnesium chloride on our roads.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:38 AM

The non-stick sprays just keep road grime from sticking to your rig, which makes it easier/faster to rinse down in freezing temps. I've used it once or twice before trail runs that I knew were going to be particularly muddy - makes cleanup much easier.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by OneTrickToy
UK, we don't have to worry! Washington doesn't salt the roads. They use sand instead of salt. They are too worried about the runoff of salt into creeks, rivers, and lakes, so we will never have the rust issue.
I wish they used just sand up here!
Two years and everything is rusty now. :cry:
Old 11-26-2003, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will get to know POR15. It is your friend...
Old 11-26-2003, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

One thing i do in the winter is when i go to wash my rig, i hook my hose up to my hot water tank
This way i have real warm water to wash my rig and i clean out all the crud that settles on the bottom of the tank.
Works great.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Het Toyminater et al

I would not waste the money on pam or anything else like that... Go to a place like Krown or another of those oil spray places and get your car fully oil sprayed it cost me C$120.00 for my Xtra cab I think a runner is 20 bucks more. It is an excellent investment my baby had no rust at all last winter and here in T.O. when they see a snowflake they park a salter on top of it! plus you get a warrenty as well. If you do get rust they will pay for the repair.
Another good tip is don't wash your truck in the winter even when it's super cold out as soon as you put warm wash water on it you reactivate the salt and the soap will remove some of that oil coating each time best to leave it alone until spring (when all threat of salt use is gone) and wash it then. your truck may not look pretty but it won't be rusty just don't park your truck in your driveway for a week or so after you get the underspray done as it will be dripping. Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 11-26-2003 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:32 AM

When I was researching rust prevention, Krown seemed to have a good rep. In fact it was the only one recomended. But all are far up north or in Can. so I couldn't have them do my car. I thought they just sprayed oil under the car, but they don't. It is not just oil, but some special rust stuff that sticks and creeps. My point is to all, don't spray motor oil under your car. This is something many people used to do in the old days but not anymore. I discovered this may actually cause rust, because of oil additives etc. reacting with water. I think the Pam is a good idea though. Cheap, non-poluting, and won't make a mess of my drive and garage. I bet my dogs will even enjoy licking up any that drips off.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:23 PM

I agree highland, and in the morning just fire up you rig and slap some pancake mix on your muffler.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

I was considering doing a coat of POR15 on the undercarriage before the snow hit here, but the idea of laying on the ground for countless hours with that crud dripping on me isn't my idea of fun. I've never heard of Krown so I'm assuming we don't have them in NE Ohio. I have no problem doing the Pam treatment but if there is someplace else I could go to get a oil-type treatment I'd prefer that. Anybody know another option? Do Toy dealers do anything for that?

Quick Reply: Salt belt