Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Saggy Bottoms...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saggy Bottoms...

There seems to have been a recent glut of people either looking into or replacing their rear end springs.

I've a first gen 4Runner with stock springs and all the sagginess you'd expect from that.

For quite some time now I've been looking into doing something about the sag, but have yet to do anything other than read endlessly and research.

My initial and still predominant idea is to add a set of 1 1/2" lift Daystar shackles to the stock rear springs. However, I'm somewhat wary of the length of the shackle and possible issues with sway. Also, in loading up the 4Runner, I'm worried about the regular leafs sagging the same as before.

That aside, I've also looked at getting a set of Downey aftermarket rear springs to help lift the butt. Has anyone here done this or know of anyone who has? Is there a noticeable difference in ride or handling with the Downey springs? Or any other aftermarket springs for that matter?

I'd appreciate any and all information you guys are willing to share.

Any opinions about Daystar or their products? I know most here think a tad on the negative side of Downey, so are there any other companies offering first gen leaf springs that you'd recommend?

Would it be more worthwhile to just have the rears resprung? This is an option I'm holding off on, as I know it would probably be as much, or more, as getting new springs.

All of my four wheeling is moderate, so orbit eyes and things like super twist-and-flex aren't super important.

Any and all comments welcome!

^_^
Old 05-01-2004, 02:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the downey 3" lift springs with rancho add-a-leafs (I'm running a 4" procomp lift up front) and I love them. Before I ever had a lift on my runner I had the same sagging problem you did. I used the rancho add-a-leafs to correct it. It lifted the rear just enough to level it out. It was a cheap and easy fix.
As for the day star products I cant realy comment. Hope this helps
Old 05-01-2004, 03:57 PM

NERDS!

Only one cool person is going to answer my question?

Should I ask about a black LED ground effects kit I want to mount on the roof instead?

Thanks for the reply Seaflea. Good to know everyone here isn't a JERK!

And yes, this whole post was an elaborate ruse to disguise my

^_^
Old 05-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

I'd reply but I don't own a 1st gen, so I would have no idea what I was talking about.
I think I speak for most people when I say that.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:03 PM

Well cool, but I was actually hoping for anyone to chime in, not just first genners.

I just wanted, as I said, any an all information anyone might be willing to share.

After all, the more information about anything the better. Except, of course, secret energy policy meetings...

^_~
Old 05-01-2004, 06:03 PM

I put on 2" shackles. Leveled the truck perfectly... no performance loss, no sway nothing... rock solid.

Here they are:

Here's a recent picture:
Old 05-01-2004, 06:23 PM

hey ilion
i had the same problem that you did...rear sag....i hated this problem till i got enough money to fix it....i bought brand new leafs for both sides and this gave me about 1 inch of rake with i wanted and my truck rode so much smoother...don;t buy new shackles...do it right...you'll be happier in the end
cody
Old 05-01-2004, 11:15 PM

Well crap.

Here I am all jazzed to read about 89-4Run's success, and then Memphis has to come along and spoil it.

I know I should just shell out the $150-200+ for new leafs, but that $80 for shackles is just so much more palatable.

I mean, just think of what that extra money could buy... half of a GPS, steel for a new rear bumper, a few gallons of gas...

Thank you guys for the info, and thank you 89-4Run for the pics. Do you mind me asking which brand you decided to go with?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ilion
NERDS!

Should I ask about a black LED ground effects kit I want to mount on the roof instead?

^_^
Just because you did not get a bunch of answers in the first day doesn't mean that we are a bunch of jerks. Remember, most people in this forum own 2nd and 3rd gens which use coils springs, not leaf. And not everyone reads this forum daily. This forum is one of the best because there is so little name calling, flaming, or childish behavoir. Just good old information and very friendly members.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:23 AM

Lion,
I've asked and asked again at several shops about replacing my leafs and they say its just not worth unless you have some money to burn. I do plan on replacing my leafs eventually, and the shackles was an extremely cheap option for now. I think mine were only $60 or something... but my local 4x4 shop ordered them and put them on. Not sure what brand, sorry.

I think Memphis brings up a good point, do it right. I'm all about that, but the springs I'm looking at are $500 (Alcan), including installation (i'm too lazy to do the work myself ). They are custom made. Not sure how much he paid for his, but spending $60 now, and using money to buy accessories made sense at the time for me.

Also, do a search on username Toddski, in a recent post from him he just ordered some shackles. So he should have his on soon hopefully and maybe he can tell you how he likes it. He initially did the add-a-leaf....
Old 05-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Banned

I took mine and had them re arced, then added an extra leaf, to keep it level.
Sits perfectly flat after a year and the ride is great. Cost about 90 bucks to rearc and the extra leaf isn't an adda leaf, it's full leignth.

Edit: Oh yeah... jour a Jerk!

Last edited by flecker; 05-02-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:44 AM

Ok, I just reread your initial post

Check out this place for springs. I don't have any personal experience, maybe someone on this board does. But several 4x4 shops here in CO have recommended them:
http://www.alcanspring.com/index.htm
Thats the place I was mentioning in my previous post.

Also here is a picture of my truck with roof rack loaded, some stuff inside including an 85lb dog
Old 05-02-2004, 08:51 AM

Just because you did not get a bunch of answers in the first day doesn't mean that we are a bunch of jerks. Remember, most people in this forum own 2nd and 3rd gens which use coils springs, not leaf. And not everyone reads this forum daily. This forum is one of the best because there is so little name calling, flaming, or childish behavoir. Just good old information and very friendly members.
Just because I didn't get answersin the first few minutes unequivocally proves that you are all, every last one of you, jerks!

^_^

Obviously, at least to me, that entire post, from which you chose to quote, was said in jest. I would have no reason to even begin to think that anyone here is mean or otherwise. I thought that was the entire reason for having put in all those damned little smilies... to show that I was just kidding.

See, look at that smiley... doesn't that just instantly say, "oh, this guy posting is just kidding, he can't be serious."?

Well, I was just kidding and as I sort of alluded to, I was just trying to disguise my within the body of another post.

Now I feel all bad about having anyone reply. It looks more like i have to extort answers from people. I guess now I'm the squeaky wheel for the week.

Sorry for having cause the ruckus.

Sorry you're such JERKS!

(Alright, that last line is from the Simpson's, so anyone worth their salt will laugh and never take me seriously again!)

Edit:

Thank you for the info Flecker, it's much appreciated.

Thank you 89-4run, that pic is fantastic. Though shouldn't the dog be peeking out through the drivers window? I mean, you know, to show who's really got all those mad skills?

Paul H. - It is a great forum, and if you think it (my comments) too much I'll certainly stop, but to me the majority of that post sounded really sarcastic when I wrote it. I just can't see anyone thinking that I'd be serious, AT ALL.

Apologies to anyone who was irritated by it.

Last edited by ilion; 05-02-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Banned

Hey Ilion... I just now noticed your in Tustin. Run your rears over to "Deaver Springs" in Santa Ana. He'll get em' set up for you. Good place to go for springs IMO, and he's pretty quick also. Just tell him what you want, what you do and leave them there for a few hours, then pick them back up and install them.

Edit: Your a Jerk!

Last edited by flecker; 05-02-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:34 PM

Correction: YOU'RE a jerk.

Correction: thank you for taking the joke!

And thank you for the info on the Deaver Springs. How did you manage to hear about them, being all the way over in the AZ if you don't mind my asking?

But I don't know... Santa Ana...

For anyone who's watched the OC, you'll have to know that Santa Ana is one of those 'wrong side of the tracks' cities.

I mean, in the same way that the show 'Dallas' showed exactly what life in Dallas is like and the show Boston Public showed exactly what life in Boston schools is like, so too does 'the OC' show exactly what life in Orange County is like.

^_^

I tried to upload some pics of the 4Runner earlier this morning, to show the sagginess in all of its glory, but I just couldn't get the pics to work for some reason. I blame my ineptness.

Thanks again Nerds!
Old 05-02-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/want-pep-up-suspension-86-runner-26275/

Heres a whole other thread about this subject. I didn't re read the whole thing but I recall it had some good info and options. I eventually have to do something about this too.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Banned

Yeah, before I lived in Az. I lived in Torrance, Ca. My sister lives over in Fullerton. Deaver is in Santa Ana, and yeah I know... it can be scary in some parts. He is a cool gouy though and knows his stuff when it comes to leaf springs... he'll work with what you got or he can custom make some for you.
I heard of him by rep/ word of mouth and he does good work. Just tell him you want yours re arced and maybe a leaf added if you plan to load it up w/ trail gear and whatnot.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:38 PM

Thanks for that thread link BlkNBlu, it was pretty informative. If I were less of a crybaby, I might've thought of doing a search myself.

Flecker, how long ago did you live here? My two Aunts and two cousins live in Fullerton, whereabouts is your sister?

And I was joking about Santa Ana. I really think it's a great city. I think I'd be more nervous going into some parts of Irvine... Too many stock brokers in escalades panicking over their portfolios performance.

Thanks again for that recommendation, I'll call him tomorrow- err, today (it's already past midnight).

Now I have a more serious question. In the post 1986 (I think) 4Runners, there is a load sensing/brake adjusting mechanism on the rear axle. This, as far as I've found, is the reason no air shocks are manufactured for the 1988, etc.

So for those that have added shackles or otherwise lifted, what did you do about this adjusting mechanism? I've found a write-up of readjusting the sensor through through Scott Wilson's page, and was wondering what everyone thought about it.

I would think that, because the ride height would effectively return to stock, that no adjustment would be needed... but again, I might be missing something in the way I'm thinking.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

I'll chime here also. Not sure if you saw my other post about my 4runner being totaled.
I went up to the local wrecking yard and picked up a set of used springs off a '89 4runner. I installed my add-a-leaf to this pack and installed a 1" lift shackles.
The springs ran me $150 and the shackles ran me $50 at Central 4WD.
Now my 4runner looks real silly with my 30" tires
I'll take some measurements sometime today. I need to replace my rear axle
Anyone done this?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ilion
NERDS!

^_^
I laughed my arse off when I read this. No apology needed.

Quick Reply: Saggy Bottoms...