Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Safety lighting on front interior door panel

Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Safety lighting on front interior door panel

During one of previous trips to the "bone yard" I had one those flashes of brilliance, things I like or want to do to my truck. So as I was wandering around looking for parts it came to me, (I seem to do alot of thinking when I am pulling parts), remember the door lights in the 'Gen 2' 4runners? I remembered seeing those lights and remembered how they would help to alert a passing motorist of our door being open. I then realized how our Gen 3 4runners don't have any sort of "safety" lighting.

So I started wondering if it was possible to put the door lights from a Gen 2 into the doors of a Gen 3. I located a trashed door skin and started playin around with it. I haven't got all the bugs worked out but I did find an almost identical spot to mount the door lights. Here is what it should look like.
Stock

Installed

So tell me what you think? I still have to sork out all the install issues along with wiring it up to work like the ones did in the Gen 2's. Once that is finalized, I'll pull my leather door skins and proceed with the Mod. Once completed I'll post another "Mods for Dummies" write up. Anyway, comments and ideas are always welcome!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea! Very few safety mods out there compared to speed and offroad mods. I've never seen it done yet.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's a pretty cool idea.. you're always up to something!!

Waldz
Old 04-14-2010, 04:22 AM

I like the idea!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

So those lights are just illuminated when the door opens? You going to tap the dome light circuits?

I like the idea, but I'd be more inclined personally to use some kind of LEDs. I really like the ones where the LEDs were put behind the handles.

Regardless, the 3rd gen is lacking the accent lighting that really looks good if done right.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna buck the trend here and say I don't like it, sorry. It just doesn't look like it belongs, just my 2 cents

Last edited by Mauzer; 04-14-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
I'm gonna buck the trend here and say I don't like it, sorry. It just doesn't look like it belongs, just me 2 cents
No apology needed. I asked for comments/suggestions. If I didn't expect someone to say they didn't care for it then I shouldn't have asked for comments right? Hey, I'm sure there are some Gen 2 owners who don't care for the ones on their doors either. Thanks for taking the time to input your feelings, it really does help!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would it be possible to put it higher, closer to the arm pad? That may look more "factory."
Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Actually Mauer that's more or less exactly where they sit on the 2gens...
looks very good ritzy... I'm actually surprised they deleted them from the 3+s...
another idea would be to take some of those "courtesy" lights from the door bottoms of a Mercedes and add them to the bottom of the doors to illuminate the ground when the doors are open, it would mean cutting a little metal making a rect. hole in the door bottom but since your messing around in there anyway... hmm thanks for reigniting an old idea man...

Making them LED is simple just put in an LED bulb set...

Last edited by aviator; 04-14-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
Would it be possible to put it higher, closer to the arm pad? That may look more "factory."
As Aviator mentioned in his post they are in the same approximate location as on the 2nd gen. The other issue is finding the right location on the 3rd gen door panel that would match the curve of both the door panel and the curve of the light lense while still finding the best spot to make it look correct.

Originally Posted by aviator
Actually Mauer that's more or less exactly where they sit on the 2gens...
looks very good ritzy... I'm actually surprised they deleted them from the 3+s...
another idea would be to take some of those "courtesy" lights from the door bottoms of a Mercedes and add them to the bottom of the doors to illuminate the ground when the doors are open, it would mean cutting a little metal making a rect. hole in the door bottom but since your messing around in there anyway... hmm thanks for reigniting an old idea man...

Making them LED is simple just put in an LED bulb set...
Interesting idea, I may have to try to incorporate both ideas. When I go on my next excursion (hopefully this weekend) I will look at some of the door lights on some of the more high end cars. Hmmmm ....
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 PM

i thought bout this a while back since i work on my friend's 96 landcruiser and it has door lights... i wondered how i would do this and looks like u came up with a plan. I thought it would have looked better but maybe its bc i figured it would be white with leds in it. I might just take the advice above and put the led in my door handle (seen several pics on this forum). Good job and its definitely nice to see a new mod that not everyone has already!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Great idea! I also like aviators sugg. I might look into that one myself!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

If I get to the yard sometime this week I'll post a pic of what the lights look like on the merc. (maybe even grab a pair)... I think LR discos have something similar I'll check if there is still one there...

If you do decide to try the "aviator courtesy light mod" (I'm callin dibs on naming it even if I don't get it done first LOL) check the clearance at the bottom of the door with the window down. I recall merc. mounts the light in the bottom of the inner panel not the door itself. You might have a problem with the window hitting them at full down and or issues with clearing the kick plate.

Last edited by aviator; 04-14-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Aviator, I think I may have found the perfect light for the white light door lights you were talking about installing. They came off a 5 series BMW mid '90's. They are a dual tube-pin lamp that live behind the sunvisor. Super easy to remove and because of how they are mounted, cutting a perfect size hole for the lamp will allow them to just snap right in like they do in the Beamer. Here is a pic of the lamps.

Front side

Back side

There are four little tabs at the four corners that snap the light right into place in the BMW head liner which is very thin, maybe 1/16 to 3/32" thick. The BMW headliner has four little metal tabs in the head liner to give the clips a solid place to clip onto so I took those as well. The plug in connectors are unique as well so I had to get them. Ended up costing about $5 a pair. These will be able to be converted to LED lamps as well. They use that bullet looking tube lamps. So as I install the head liner in my truck for the dome light mod, I'll begin to prep the doors and wires for the door lights. These maybe easier to install then the red safety lights, even though I k now I can get the red safety lights to install, these look to be a bit more bright. If they go well in the fronts, I may try to install them in the rear doors as well. More to follow.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang Ritz yet another super idea you will likely perfect for all of us to imitate/copy.

Leather door panels drool drool.

I guess I want to step back a second and ask what is the purpose of the lights? Is it to illuminate the interior a bit as you enter and exit? or is it to alert a passing vehicle that the door is open and sticking out? The latter is what I thought the 2nd gens door lights were all about. I am indeed asking- I truly do not know.

My only suggestion is that the light be lower on the door panel-a few inches straight below your "Installed" position on the flatter part of the panel. However that mount point would have the light be obscured by the seat itself. Perhaps this position is just not possible due to what is inside the door itself. Again I don't pretend to know....

Ritz ought to be allowed his own Appearance/Function subforum ! Every idea you have is functional and a unique and valued improvement.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Cool idea Ritzy though I would probably use those back in the stock location to provide a lighting for the navigator as in the bimmer...
I got pics of the merc ones and two ideas for mounting same...
I don't have time to day but I'll start a thread with my ideas in the next day or two.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Well seeing the interest and suggestions I took my demo-door panel and mounted the BMW light in the panel. The question as to where they can be placed is prime as the door panel doesn't have much space behind it without possibly interferring with door internals.

I took this in to primary consideration and found what should be a compromise between some of those who have suggested lower on the door so using what I could, I moved it near the bottom but in from the edge a bit more then the red 4runner door light. This location was choosen due to possible interference issues with the door interior as well as door panel mounting pins. Here is what it looks like.

Demo-panel with red light only

I measured the inside of the back of the housing, transferred those dimensions to the inside of the door panel then used a utility knife to score and then cut the panel.
marking and then cutting the mount hole

I had to do a bit of custom trimming to get it just so the light would pop in. Another benefit of the location is the thickness of the panel neear the bottom, it is the same thickness the lights need to just snap fit into place. While there is a very slight curvature at the location I chose, it is on the lower side but is still quite acceptable.
I measured the housing transferred that to the inside of the door panel then used a utility knife to score and then cut the panel.

Putting power to the lights

Now that the "prototype" has been completed, I will commence with the comversion within the next few weeks, much going on at work and around the house. So the debate will be now to install the red curved armrest door light, the BMW lower door panel lights or both? Now its your turn to tell me which is best!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-18-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Well that looks really good for the red light ritzy but I think my MB courtesy light mod is better... I need to dig out my dremel tool to cut up my demo door skin but I'll jump on it Wed. LOL...

As a teaser MB mounts their light in the bottom of the door pocket... for your type of door its an easy peasey mod compared to the 84-95 crowd I'm working on... (No hyjack) ... all you need to do is cut a rect. hole in the bottom of the door pocket 1"x1.75" (cut slightly smaller and file to size for a snug fit) the light is about 5/8" deep so you'll need to make a new floor for the pocket. I'd use Spanish Cedar (nice smell & anti rot/bug) and back it with metal foil tape (duct seal/exhaust repair tape) and use an LED bulb.

Def. do the red light it looks factory but hold off on the courtesy light till you see mine.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:12 AM

Yeah I would like to see that, and I did not see any of those loights you describe in MB when I was at the wrecking yard last weekend, so if you could be a bit more specific as to year/model MB that would help me to locate some. Yeah a pic of the them installed would be huge! Thanks Aviator
Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

They are on pretty much all the MBs from the 80s and early 90s I've seen. Look for them in any of the 300 series and 500 series. They are usually mounted in the bottom of the map pockets. You can also get them from the parts dept. at the dealer for $6.25 CDN ask for the courtesy light for a 124 body.

Check Aviator's Courtesy Light mod thread Ritzy... I'll put up a proper link once the mod info is more complete.

Last edited by aviator; 04-21-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safety lighting on front interior door panel