Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

??s concerning antenna in pasenger rear window

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
??s concerning antenna in pasenger rear window

so my rig has an alternate antenna built into the glass of the passenger rear window. since i got my vehicle the antenna mast has been broke iand i have never got around to replacing it. i would like to eliminate the antenna mast perminatly and strickly use the rear window antenna if possible. the only problem so far is the plug is smaller the the regular antenna plug. Are there adapters? anyhow this is just something that has been rolling around in the back of my head. any input would be appreciated. Thanks ETRNL
Old 04-03-2008, 10:36 PM

so no one has any info on this "diversity antenna system" since that is what it is called i guess..
Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Never heard of the antenna on the rear window. Is it a radio antenna or? You would probably have better luck going to a store which specializes in radios, sound systems, etc...
Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. I had my aftermarket radio out the other week and was wondering where the other wntenna plug came from, and then it clicked in my head, oh it is the rear window unit! So as far as an answer, I have tried stereo shops and parts stores but no luck.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 PM

i can fix coax and triax video line on a fighter jet so i wonder if i can splice a standard radio plug into this wire?? hmmm. i guess i will have to try that since i will probably never go back to the stock radio.. i am just tired of the bent up dirty stock antenna that only goes down when i push it at a car wash..
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be completely wrong on this, but I think the antenna in the rear passenger side window is a diversity antenna. I only know that because my friend threw some mud up on my truck and shattered that window last year, and while quoting prices on a replacement window, I figured out that it had a so called diversity antenna in it. Basically, from what I gathered, it is an am/fm antenna. In situations where your front antenna may not receive a strong am/fm signal, the diversity antenna is there as somewhat of a backup. In other words, while you are riding around, things like power lines may cause interference with one of your antennas, however, the other one may not be affected and can still pick up a good am/fm signal. The end result is that instead of noticing a brief volume reduction or other unwanted interference, you will end up with a consistent signal coming into your system, which will hopefully reduce most of the interference that may be present to the point that you dont notice it.

All of that being said, I am in the same boat as you, ETRNL. I managed to knock off my front mast a while back. However, from what I can tell, I still can receive a decent am/fm signal, and I am assuming its due to the antenna in the window. I have xm radio, so I really dont use am/fm that much, but on the occasions that I do use it, it seems to work fine. Therefore, I think you could probably get away with just using the diversity antenna in the window, however, I'm not positive on this. As far as the plugs go, I am clueless about those.

I hope all of this makes a little bit of sense and helps out. Take care and good luck with it!