Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

S/C for '03 4Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S/C for '03 4Runner...

I called TRD again today. They told me that the S/C for the 4.7L '03 4Runner wouldn't be out until April or May. When I spoke to them in January they said 2 months. I know the issues are not technical as similar kits are already available for the Landcruiser and the Tundra. They are waiting in CARB approval and some other federal approval. For those not in California, CARB is the California Air Resources Board. All aftermarket parts must be CARB approved for use on a street legal vehicle...

I guess I'll be waiting a few more months.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I talked TRD recently about the S/C kit. They said they have several running around out in Death Valley pulling loaded trailers and haven't encountered any problems.

I have to be honest, though, and say I'm having doubts given the experience of TRD S/C users here, and the excellent work done by Gadget and others debugging an unrefined design. I hope the 2UZ kit proves more reliable. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

umm now when did ppl start worrying about carb stuf?!?!? if u want to go fast, you're gonna void those carbs!!!

I had a ricer in los angeles and man was my car pumping out lots of good smellin fumes! and i'm not talkin just basic header exhaust stuff either!!!

i'd say if you really need more speed on the v8's that's mad!!! don't think i want to be going 100mph in 14 sec on a suv... althought the thought is cool but i'd rather get a sports car to race than a suv... (just flame me now while i'm alive! )

unless you're planning to race it, i'd say it's one hella expensive mod!!!

lance
Old 03-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Good Times

Indeed.

It is odd that TRD has more performance products for Toyota trucks than cars. An that the two sports cars Toyota currently makes--the Celica and MR2 Spyder--don't have a supercharger available.

Major sore point with the Celica community.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Good Times
i'd say if you really need more speed on the v8's that's mad!!! don't think i want to be going 100mph in 14 sec on a suv... althought the thought is cool but i'd rather get a sports car to race than a suv... (just flame me now while i'm alive! )

lance
You'll hate the Cayenne with it's 400+ hp TT engine! Actually, I hate it for it's absurd dead catfish front end and the idea that Porsche defiled their name (and gutted their R&D budget) to build an SUV.

Anyway, race a 'Runner? Where? Jeez, I think the brakes would pack up by the third application. Oh wait, I'm a road racer and maybe you're thinking quarter miles. Yeah, I've a race car for the track and wouldn't S/C mine for more power. I think the chassis is about at it's limit with the N/A V-8 now. I do it for resale. I keep my cars, on average, about six months. Whatever I can do to make them more desirable used cars, AND get more back than invested, usually gets done. From what I've read on the Tundra boards, a used (dealer installed) S/C commands a premium. I'm thinking that the S/C combined with the other options on my rig will sell quicker than most.

Oh, and this isn't meant as a flame. Your point is well taken. Besides, in my short time on this board I haven't seen any flame wars...yet! Kinda nice being small, but that'll change as the membership grows.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LoCore
Indeed.

It is odd that TRD has more performance products for Toyota trucks than cars. An that the two sports cars Toyota currently makes--the Celica and MR2 Spyder--don't have a supercharger available.

Major sore point with the Celica community.
The reason bearing is that the VVT engine in the Celica can't be supercharged and be without problems. I recall reading somewhere that the engine itself can't handle supercharging it something about it would prove to be not stable and specifically stated that it would never have a supercharger made for it by TRD.

By the way, I have said time and time again, alot of people supercharge not just to race but rather have that extra power if they tow large capacities or they live in the mountains and need that extra ooomph when accelerating uphill. That's actually what the ads usually state the purpose of s/c for.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by BT17R
I keep my cars, on average, about six months. Whatever I can do to make them more desirable used cars, AND get more back than invested, usually gets done.
So you keep the car 6 month and sell it and make money, why don't you have your own infomerical

edit, what you plan on getting next, have you always been doing this and really how long you gonna keep it before you sell it and buy new again, seriously Im intrigued hope I spelled that right

Last edited by EDGE; 03-06-2003 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm, yet TRD is coming out with an S/C for Matrix XRS with the same 2ZZ engine used in Celica. Maybe it's more to do with packaging considerations? I read it on the Internet, it must be true!
Old 03-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by EDGE
So you keep the car 6 month and sell it and make money, why don't you have your own infomerical
If only my "system" could be duplicated. It's a combination of a unique set of circumstances that's allowed it to work over the past 15 years, with a ROI better than the stock market for sure! Not to mention that it keeps a car nut (me) happy.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:57 PM

Last edited by EDGE; 03-06-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:00 PM

Im a car nut but I knda like having the car for a while, hell maybe as I start to make more money I will just buy more cars
Old 03-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm, yet TRD is coming out with an S/C for Matrix XRS with the same 2ZZ engine used in Celica. Maybe it's more to do with packaging considerations? I read it on the Internet, it must be true!
Seriously? I could have swore I read somewhere that it said specificly that TRD would NOT make a s/c for the Celica as the VVT engine is at it's limit, I remember that specificly, I could be wrong...can you point me to the website, that would be some interesting reading? Thanks
Old 03-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

This one will be for sale around July-August, depending on timing of any off-road events in my area and release date of the '04 Toyota/Lexus new models. I don't know yet what's up next, but it'll likely be another 4Runner. The ROI on SUV's is the best here in the Pacific Northwest where SUV's and pickups rule.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:15 PM

This one will be for sale around July-August, depending on timing of any off-road events in my area and release date of the '04 Toyota/Lexus new models. I don't know yet what's up next, but it'll likely be another 4Runner. The ROI on SUV's is the best here in the Pacific Northwest where SUV's and pickups rule.
I was thinking the same, maybe a GX470 in a few month but I also want a 7Series or S55, an H2 and I have to buy a house oh yeah an I have to find an AWD Diablo that has no mileage on it

Does your seat creek like a wooden ship cause mine does but when it warms up it goes away and when it goes to the dealer
Old 03-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Mohamed, here you go:

http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/ca...ara_is300.html

I saw this car at the Portland CART race last year. A stunning green fade paint job and it went like stink, blowing flames out the back and whooping the BOV on upshifts. Pretty cool. I've read that the kit will be out for the '04 models, but am uncertain now if I read that it'll be for the 1ZZ or the 2ZZ when it goes into production. The Matrix Pace Car is an XRS though, as described in the article.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

EDGE, my last Lexus had what I thought was a squeaky seat. Try this: Get out the 'ol WD-40 and squirt a little on the inboard (next to the console) seat belt anchor bolt area that contacts the seat belt end.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:24 PM

I'll try that and I don't believe a 2002 Lexus would squeak
Old 03-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Does your seat creek like a wooden ship cause mine does but when it warms up it goes away and when it goes to the dealer
EDGE, my driver's seat started squeaking too. The WD-40 didn't work. It sounds like it's coming from the inboard seat track or trim near it. Let us know what the dealer finds, and I'll do the same if I find a fix. It's driving me nuts!
Old 03-15-2003, 09:50 AM

Mine used to do the exact same thing. After taking it to the dealer twice to look at it and couldn't make it squeak even a little, I gave up. Since the weather has got warmer here, the sqeak has stopped. Please keep us informed on what you find out.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:58 AM

BT17R, I found that the squeek is coming from under the seat if you grab the headrest and pull it towards you while standing outside the vehicle while cold it makes the noise, after driving it for a while and it warms up it goes away.

By the time I get to the dealer the squeek is gone so I have to figure out what I will do to get it their so they can hear it and fix it.

I'll let you know what happens

Quick Reply: S/C for '03 4Runner...