Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Running Boards Removed (before/afters)

Old 03-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Boards Removed (before/afters)

So today I finally got around to taking off the running boards. At first I wasn't sure if I really liked it or not, but after awhile it is starting to grow on me. Later on in the afternoon I decided while I was at it I would give her a good washing and vacuum. The best part of the whole wash was making my exhaust tips chrome once again . My dad broke the digital camera so the best I could use for the after shots are from my cell phone camera.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

You may also notice some other new additions like tint, vent shades, bug shield, clear corners and bumpers. I also removed some of the stickers from my back glass and the chrome liscense plate frame that some people didn't really like and added just one sticker to the top so it wouldn't look overdone. I hope to continue my progression of my 4runner and that the members of YT will enjoy.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 PM

Looks good man, you should do the rear mud flap removal mud as well, and a stock rear spoiler would look good!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 PM

does it have two exhaust pipes? if so, why? imho i like stock tail lights better but looks nice and clean.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Looks good man, you should do the rear mud flap removal mud as well, and a stock rear spoiler would look good!
do you think i really should? i'm kinda scared to but i probably will later on. i want a rear spoiler but i'm not sure how much they would cost/ how hard it would be to put one on. i also want to get a towing hitch to for the back.

Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
does it have two exhaust pipes? if so, why? imho i like stock tail lights better but looks nice and clean.
and yes i have two exhaust pipes because i have a cat-back system. alot of people in my area have them and i have always liked the look. also i think it sounds better then some other single out systems i have heard. the tails are ok, they were a christmas gift from my girlfriend. i actually though of putting my factory ones back on but she spent her money on them for me and i'm to lazy to change out the harness again so i'm going to leave them. i think they look better then alot of other altezzas out there.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 PM

I would have kept the duck sticker!
Id keep the spoiler off..looks cleaner without one. more accesory plastic is not always a good thing.
And really, just keep on the lower flap. It doesnt look bad, and you probably arent crushing it on the trails.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 PM

eh, you better keep em then! cool gf and cool gift. and yes, they do look better then most "alteza" styled ones out there, i just like stock.

can you email me info on that exhaust? michalik_piotr@yahoo.com, thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
I would have kept the duck sticker!
Id keep the spoiler off..looks cleaner without one. more accesory plastic is not always a good thing.
And really, just keep on the lower flap. It doesnt look bad, and you probably arent crushing it on the trails.
Uhh the spoiler isan't plastic, I think 4Runner's look strange without the rear spoiler's. It makes the rear end look flat and round. IMO definitely a lot cleaner with them on. Sloan I would go to your local Toyota dealer, or maybe search some junk yards. They should be pretty easy to put on. And yeah definitely cut off those rear mud flaps, it looks so much better without them!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:45 PM

wait..so did i get two votes for the mud flap removal? or are you saying leave them on godzilla? lol

and i'm getting duck emblems for front sides of my doors right about the flares like this guy got. not sure if i should go black or chrome yet though...

i also know what you mean about liking the stock look michalik maybe one day i'll put the orginal tails back on. as far as the exhaust goes i just got a flowmaster 40 series, single in dual out with 3 inch 45 degree angle tips put on. it cost me about 210 at my local muffler shop. the sound might be to loud for your liking but i'll get you a video clip so you can get some sound.

Last edited by Sloan; 03-16-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 PM

you could always "accidentally" break a tail light...
Old 03-16-2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
you could always "accidentally" break a tail light...
i've actually really though about that one, just one day back into something and crack it and be like "oh no! gotta put my old ones back on!"
Old 03-17-2008, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good.

You definitely ought to look into getting an oem rear spoiler...and while you're at it, cut the rear flaps. It takes all of a minute to do both flaps.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Looks good.

You definitely ought to look into getting an oem rear spoiler...and while you're at it, cut the rear flaps. It takes all of a minute to do both flaps.
just out of curiosity if i ever sell it is there anyway to buy new ones for the rear? it only looks like its 3 screws holding the flap onto the body.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sloan
just out of curiosity if i ever sell it is there anyway to buy new ones for the rear? it only looks like its 3 screws holding the flap onto the body.
Maybe you're missing what we are saying...you're only cutting off the extra piece of black rubber hanging from the bottom of the painted rear flaps, not removing the entire mud flap or bolts or anything.

Click this link for more info: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...runner-103815/
Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Maybe you're missing what we are saying...you're only cutting off the extra piece of black rubber hanging from the bottom of the painted rear flaps, not removing the entire mud flap or bolts or anything.

Click this link for more info: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...runner-103815/
Exactly, it takes less than 5 minutes and it makes a world of difference. Go for it!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Nice look without the running boards. I just removed mine and I am loving it right now as well.

I agree with cutting the rear flaps too, its simple and looks great afterward.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why remove the mudflaps? You'll chip the paint behind the wheels. Spoilers are for sports cars.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Uhh the spoiler isan't plastic, I think 4Runner's look strange without the rear spoiler's. It makes the rear end look flat and round. IMO definitely a lot cleaner with them on. Sloan I would go to your local Toyota dealer, or maybe search some junk yards. They should be pretty easy to put on. And yeah definitely cut off those rear mud flaps, it looks so much better without them!
Cut em off r u kidding me?
Stone chip city without them.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
Why remove the mudflaps? You'll chip the paint behind the wheels. Spoilers are for sports cars.
Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Cut em off r u kidding me?
Stone chip city without them.
Not as bad as you might think...I've had mine cut off for a while now w/ little to no rock chips. Trust me, it ain't that bad. (not sure where you would use this smiley, so I figured I'd plug it in here .)
Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM

yea i know what you mean rock, ive seen your write-up before, i was saying could i ever replace them back to old if i cut them and sold it so it would look more factory.

chips is the only thing i'm really worried about but i guess i will cut them for looks...
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sloan
yea i know what you mean rock, ive seen your write-up before, i was saying could i ever replace them back to old if i cut them and sold it so it would look more factory.

chips is the only thing i'm really worried about but i guess i will cut them for looks...
Oh, I see. Then no, you cannot reinstall the small black plastic half of the mud flaps after they have been cut off.

If cut properly, the flaps will still look factory once you're finished

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running Boards Removed (before/afters)