Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

runnin 35's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runnin 35's

what do you guys suggest lift wise to fit a set of 35 inch tires.

And what gears would i have to regear to.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Some informaton on what truck your driving would help. Any Runner or p.u after 85' you need to do an SAS, you'll have o do alot ofbody lift to get 35's under an IFS truck. Let us know what you got so we can help you better. Welcome, stick around for awhile and let us WOW you with our site.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:06 PM

i have a 94 4runner and i do some mudding, and trail riding, but it is mostly a daily driver.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:11 PM

Talking This is MY topic, LOL JK

BigBadBlue's in the house. LOL Ok I have a 4 inch Tough Country suspension lift sitting on 35 inch TXR's. No body lift! I am getting a body lift so I can fit aggressive tread 36's though. You do not need a body lift to stuff 35's under your 2nd gen runner. If you lift it the 4 inches and stuff 35s under it do not go curb hoppin or jumping offroad. You will be sorry. I have only one time had my tire tap my Bushwacker. ONCE! Go at it and have fun!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:17 PM

you have any pics bigbadblue i would love to see them if you do, but if you dont its all cool.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by fooddude
you have any pics bigbadblue i would love to see them if you do, but if you dont its all cool.
I do but you will have to wait until I get home from work to put some up. Or you can go to my club if you can get to it, (CWOffroaders@Groups.Aol.Com) Plenty of pics of my rig and others. Nobody usually believes there are 35 inch tires sitting under a four inch susp. lift on my rig. Its true its true I tell yuh! LOL

Last edited by Yoter; 09-17-2003 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This guy runs 35s with a 1inch body lift:
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...=&fpart=1&vc=1

I didn't read the whole thing, so I don't know what he did.

Just remember if you go to 35s then you're going to have to regear and that means $$$. And as long as you're regearing, you might as well install lockers $$$.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 09-17-2003 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:14 PM

sad sad sad, he has NO clearance. Yeah he fit 35s under that toy but he cant do anything. He spoke of checking his clearance on a ramp, what a speed bump? Seriously he should have not wasted filmtaking pics of it in its condition. It looks sad. I have plenty of clearance but will be lifting another three inches thanks to good ol Roger Brown @ WWW.4Crawler.Com.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I should have posted this one too. He says he doesn't rub much. thread.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:23 PM

i have a 91 pu with IFS. and i have 35 bfg ats.
i have a 3 1/2" rear leaf lift and ext shackles so about 4" lift. and 4" front drop bracket thingy for the ifs. im regeared to 456 and the power is ok. the mileage is ok... 16 on the hwy maybe. something like that.... oh i have a 2" body lift too.

but i know the 35s put a lot of strain on the truck, esp the IFS. i blew out my rear diff last year or so. i dunno why it happened. i wasnt doing anything crazy. just making a right turn and i went off the curb. i replaced it with USA GEARs at 456. and NOW the FRONT is blown. i was changing the front diff oil and a nice chunck of metal came out.... so i havent used the front diff with the hubs locked in for a while. i just go to 4lo to get out of launch ramps occasionally.

ive done lots of off roading with the truck. ive fully articulated my rear and stuffed my 35s. ive articulated all 1" of my travel ( ) for the front. LOL but the rear of my front fenders have been pounded in by the tire due to bottoming out occasionally. thats what im assuming. i've bottomed out like 3 times really hard while wheeling.

i was going to go with 33s but decided... nawh! 35s look better actually im pickin up 4 35" bfg mudds for $100 on saturday! killer deal. they have over 50% tread left too! cant beat that.

for a pic of my rig check my sig below.

Last edited by joshik; 09-17-2003 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

sad sad sad, he has NO clearance. Yeah he fit 35s under that toy but he cant do anything. He spoke of checking his clearance on a ramp, what a speed bump? Seriously he should have not wasted filmtaking pics of it in its condition. It looks sad. I have plenty of clearance but will be lifting another three inches thanks to good ol Roger Brown
yes, but your frame will still sit at its current height, and you have the same ground clearance as him. your body might be higher, but you still have the ifs and the rear axle at the same height as him. i would take a truck with no lift and 35's over one lifted to the moon on 35's anyday. (as long as they are comprable gears, susp. ect.) it is just more stable. but that might just be me. i would just hate to have a nice rig on its side.

Last edited by joez; 09-18-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:08 AM

I really dont know anything about lifts but that red truck looks pretty weird/bad with stuffed fenderwell. maybe a 2" gain on vertical would be just right IMH
Old 09-18-2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by joez
yes, but your frame will still sit at its current height, and you have the same ground clearance as him. your body might be higher, but you still have the ifs and the rear axle at the same height as him. i would take a truck with no lift and 35's over one lifted to the moon on 35's anyday. (as long as they are comprable gears, susp. ect.) it is just more stable. but that might just be me. i would just hate to have a nice rig on its side.
From where i am sitting it looks like the guy is running a very mild susp. lift if at all and his dinky lil one incher. I am running a four inch and hopefully by next week with my three inch body lift I will be sitting at seven inches. I already have articulation but want more more more. Looking at the pics it almost to me looks like the guys fenders are flirting with his tires. I separate the two by far so how are we the same? Did this guy have some sort of hidden away susp. lift in a size four that I didn't see?
Old 09-18-2003, 01:45 PM

it is true that Blue is too high off the ground.........:tomcat:
Old 09-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

if you want 35s, it might also depend what tire you get. cause, some tire sizes measure different when they are on the rig. my 33s dont measure 33 inches when they are on the rig, so i probably could have gotten 35s. just something to think about
Old 09-18-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by 2001Millrunner
it is true that Blue is too high off the ground.........:tomcat:
Raby if you would stop being a and get your lift you wanted & tires we could do some offroading. I just hate taking blue up with midget runners like yours. LOL JK! Some day Raby's Yoda as he calls it will grow up and be bad ash like good ol or maybe not. maybe it will always be a
Old 09-18-2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by doink
if you want 35s, it might also depend what tire you get. cause, some tire sizes measure different when they are on the rig. my 33s dont measure 33 inches when they are on the rig, so i probably could have gotten 35s. just something to think about
Ive always assumed it was in how wide your wheels are to.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

BBB, i know what you mean with the fender clearance, but he has stock ifs, its not like it flexes.

Looking at the pics it almost to me looks like the guys fenders are flirting with his tires. I separate the two by far so how are we the same? Did this guy have some sort of hidden away susp. lift in a size four that I didn't see?
you have a tough country, correct? did you not have to lower your front susp. to keep the steering geometry, alignment, and cv angles the same? when you put on a susp lift that lowers the front ifs assembly (same for SFA), you gain 0" overall GC if you keep stock tires. doesnt a suspension lift just bring the truck up from axles (or most ifs's)? your real gain comes from tires. going up 2" in tire size will give you 1" GC. and a body lift will only allowthe body to be raised from the frame, keeping GC in that aspect the same as well. the body lift is really just to cheaply clear larger tires without a sawzall. they work really well at doing that, but your frame still hangs down.. so yes, you have more GC at the rockers, but when it comes to the susp, you too are sitting just about identical.

i think your rig as it sits looks better, but i am follow function over form. i would rather have the more stable rig than the one that looks better. just my $.02. but i do like your runner, i wouldnt mind it myself, but i would have it on its side in no time with 7" of lift. too tippy for me.

Last edited by joez; 09-18-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:57 PM

I need to use duct tape to tape my fingers together. That way I will not get an assumption planted into my head and type it . I feel stupid, I should have known that but I spoke before I thought about it. Did he say 35" tires is what he had? Depending on how wide his wheels are will tell the tail on who has more GC Susp. wise. Ive got 10" wide rims. Im not worried about being higher there. Im all about being taller body wise. I can still play on FS roads & in mud pits but I know I cant get all squirelly climbing boulders at an excessive rate while on two tires. I doubt im that talented to do that with stock everything and not roll it. Yeah with him trying to get "just enough" fender clearance to clear his tires and frikkin hacking away at the fenders is very "backyardsy" IMO. Spend the money and make it look some what good. I like the street worthy offroad rig look but am just beginning to transform it to the aggressive offroad street worthy look. Make sense? Nah! Im talking out my arse again as usual.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are absolutely right. This looks hideaous and backwoodsy...

You and the other gentleman have almost identical ground clearances and almost identical suspesion travels. He is just a lot lower and more stable. I think it is crazy to do what he is doing mostly because I would be afraid of the IFS dying. I feel like I am cheating the devil running 33's with a 1" bodylift.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 09-18-2003 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: runnin 35's