Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Runner sometimes wont start right away

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runner sometimes wont start right away

I have had this problem for a couple of years. it seems that if I decide to check the oil level, and check the cap for any residue, then when the runner is cranked, it just spins and spins but will not fire up. I end up spending about 5 min trying, and checking all the plug wires and such. Once Im convinced that I cant see anything wrong, I try it again and it fires right up no problem. Then it will go on for many months without a hitch. I can check oil, pull off the filler cap and all that and it still fires up no problem. Then one day i will check the oil and guess what? It wont fire up. I repeat the troubleshooting and still find nothing wrong, but then it fires right up. What gives??

During June, I went out of town with it. All was fine. The last morning out of town, I go to fire it up and it just spun and spun without fireing up. This time I had NOT checked the oil or anything. I popped the hood and layed hands on all possible things I could get to. Tried it again and still no fire up. I spin it a few more times, and it sputters. I try it again and it fires right up. It was wet and rainy that morning and most of the time, but not all the time, it has happened during wet weather. I got it home and it ran good. The wife had to run errands later that day and all was well. it was then dry and sunny. The next morning it would not fire up again. This time it was for good. After testing of the cold start injector, I concluded that it was dirty and not fireing. It seemed to get juice to it when the key was turned, but no gas spray. There was pressure behind it though caused I took it off and tried to clean it. The fuel will spray from the fitting as you are loosening it. Cleaning it did not help. I replaced it and that solved the problem.

SO I THOUGHT!!

Today, nice and sun shiney, the wife comes by work to show off our daughter. When she leaves in the runner, I notice that it again would not fire up right away. She had to hit it twice for about 3 to 5 seconds each. The third try, it fired up good. It fired up fine for the rest of her errands. What do I need to check to fix this issue? It is driving me batty.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like

Sounds like to me you need to run a diagnostic on it. Anybody on here live close to you that has the software and a PDA/computer to do that?

Brian
Old 09-19-2003, 01:54 PM

Damn engine oil dip sticks. You better get a new one. Or maybe its that you tighten down the oil cap. LOL or NOT! Sounds like a coil pack going out. I am guessing due to you opening the hood to check the items you spoke of that when you closed it the force may disrupt the coil pack one way or another. Thats my assumption. Sorry for the sarcasm, I had to.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:22 PM

If it's mainly happening after you mess with the oil cap, i would suspect the problem may be with the wire that goes from your ignition system to the distributor since it is near the cap, and you may be bumping it. Mine fried one time (for some unknown reason) right at the plug and the truck would just turn over and over...when i replaced it, i never had any more probs (obviously because no fire was getting to the distributor).