Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is this Runner a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any pics that I can post but I found a 96(?) Limited Runner 5spd for $4000 CDN. I haven't physically seen it as it's 8hrs from my home but I will be going there in 3 weeks and will get a better look at it then.

Here's what I know:
He said it's a '95 (Seen the pics, it's at least a 96 (3rd gen body style)), which kind of makes me nervous that he doesn't know the year.
He's had it since 25,000kms (~15,000 miles).
Has 400,000km's now (~250,000 miles).
Apparantly loaded, body's a bit rough showing a bit of rust here and there and it's a 5 spd which is a sweet touch.
He also said a fuse is gone for the power windows, could this be something more than a simple fuse?
In my area this price is about 1/2 or more less than most of similar better condition runners would go for.
I also asked if it had the rear locker and he said "I don't know what that is". ha ha. Didn't most loaded limited runners come with this?

I'll see it better in a few weeks but am wondering if I should put up my Tacoma for sale now to pick that up or if I should just not even think of it.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post up some numbers. Is it the 2.7 or the 3.4?
It could have been one of the trucks that were the '96 model, but were available in '95. You know how you can but the 2009 models of cars comming up? Same concept.

Looks to me like it needs some work.
Check rust. Too much, RUN.
Look at the fuses, see if any are gone, and replace it and try the windows. If not, you got a bargaining tool. If you can't roll your windows down, I think you can get him to drop the price some..

You never told us how much, so it is kind of hard to tell you to drive or stay. 8 hours is a long drive and would cost a buttload of money on gas to get there and back. I think you should wait and get another one than drive all that time.

Also, he doesn't know what he's talking about with the lockers, and really doesn't seem to care much about his truck (from what I hear from you lol). Too many miles, and unless this truck is dirt cheap (under $4k), I probably would not venture out that much.

Just my opinion...

Oh I guess I see the price now, don't know why I missed it. Yeah, that's asking a lot. PASS...

Last edited by infiltrator; 05-05-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:27 AM

if its 3rd gen body style then its a 95.5, but thats too much to ask for high miles and rust. Just personal, but i would never buy anything that had cancer spots, fixed or not. a 95 just shouldnt have that unless it was a snowcar, and then your most likely dealing with other problems.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM

Sorry, it's the v6 and I agree he doesn't sound like he knows much about it which makes me nervous about the maintenance of it. And although I enjoy working on vehicles my knowledge is pretty limited, especially with anything electrical which again makes me nervous.

I am going up there in 3 weeks regardless to visit my dad so I could see it in person and get alot better feel about it then. I am trying to get a feel if I should sell the Tacoma to prepare first as I like the 4Runners better. Until the wife gets a 4th gen next year I can't do much for wheeling with the current 3rd gen I own, hence why I'm searching for this one.

I was thinking of offering him a grand or two and see what happens, then I could take the leftover money of selling the Tacoma and turn it into a nice trail rig if it's got much life left.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by NwRunner
if its 3rd gen body style then its a 95.5, but thats too much to ask for high miles and rust. Just personal, but i would never buy anything that had cancer spots, fixed or not. a 95 just shouldnt have that unless it was a snowcar, and then your most likely dealing with other problems.
And unfortunatley in my area rust-free is not an option for that age, snow/gravel/salt, just depends how bad. (I've seen 03 pickups with perforation rust through the rear quarters already).
Old 05-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Why would you sell the taco to get another Runner? Keep the truck!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 AM

It does sound like a pig in a poke.

If you really want it, you have the right idea, offer low and see if he bites.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

I'm a "grass is greener" kind of guy, so other things always look shiny and new compared to my own things. Bbut maybe this time I should hold on to the taco a while longer and then wheel my 3rd gen next year when the wife upgrades to a 4th gen.

I could probably get it cheap but one things I'd be afraid that I'd be in the garage more trying to fix than out on the trails enjoying.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run the VIN. it's a big thing. i bought my 91 4Runner from Medicine Hat, it had 153,000km's and a broken valance. i paid 8,900cdn and found out after that it was in an accident and the great hail storm of 05' so it had a cheap paint job. i run th VIN on carfax and no damage is reported and the history STARTS at 2000! for a 91 that is not a good sign, but it runs like new now.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say be happy with the Yota's you already have. It is taking a risk buying such a high-mileage truck. Not that Toyota's don't last that long, but it's just that is where problems occur if you don't take good care of it (which you have no clue on).

Keep the Taco. Put your $2k into that. You should be able to get some goodies (locker, winch, bumper)...
Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can NEVER have to many Toyota's!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 PM

I don't know of any reasonable person that would sell a rig that he/she knows for a high-mileage vehicle w/ no history. Hold on to the Taco and find yourself a 1st gen for a dedicated wheeler. Or, make your Taco a dedicated trail/expedition rig and get a Civic. Gas is high!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
I don't know of any reasonable person that would sell a rig that he/she knows for a high-mileage vehicle w/ no history. Hold on to the Taco and find yourself a 1st gen for a dedicated wheeler. Or, make your Taco a dedicated trail/expedition rig and get a Civic. Gas is high!
Ya I know it seems goofy, reason I was thinking of it was it would leave me more cash to rig it up. Good thinking on the civic though!