Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

rs3000 install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rs3000 install help

Ok I've got most of the system hooked up, and removed the POS aftermarket alarm that the previous owner installed. After i removed the Aftermarket alarm, I made sure everything functioned as normal. Where i am having problems is i bought this used, and there is one clip that i have no idea where it goes... and 4 bare wired (no clip) I need to know where to splice them in.

I have the clip that plugs into the ignition, and the plug that plugs into the connector that comes from the door (blue one) but the one i don't know where it goes has three wires, and all are in a line. Blue with a yellow stripe, black with a white stripe, and yellow.

There are two wires by the ignition plug that are red and Green

There are also two wires that are between the blue (door) plug and the alarm ECU. They are also red and green...

Anyone know where these wires go???

Steve
Old 03-28-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
steve,

i'm assuming you have the install manual, right? if not, i have it on my writeup at http://www.4runners.org/articles/rs3000. that should help you.

for the most part, the install of the rs3000 is plug and play. there were a few wires that needed to be tapped and in the install kit, they give you splices (which i think is the problem why so many rs3000 alarms are buggy).

in anycase, i would re-read the install manual and directly solder the wires where needed vs using splices.

on another note, why didnt you get in the commando 870 group buy?!?!? most of us were unsatisfied with the rs3000!

bob
Old 03-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

He bought it used from me for a great price.

Steve,
The only harness that would be hard to find, is the one that plugs into the back of the fuse panel (upper right hand corner).

I didn't note the wires that need to be tapped, But the install manual that Bob has linked you to should work. If not, take some pics, and I will do the best I can to help.

-travis
Old 03-28-2005, 06:39 PM

Bob, Thanks that is just what I needed... There were just a few wires that needed to be spliced, and i wasn't sure what they did or where they went. That article is just what i needed.

Realistically I really didn't need the alarm features of the Rs3000, All i wanted really was keyless entry. (about to have my Second baby in 2 years...) and fumbling for keys can be a pain when you have just one, I can only imagine with two. I got it from SLCPunk for a great price, and it's just what i wanted...

Thanks for the help, Got it working great tonight.

Steve

BTW why is everyone so unhappy with the Rs3000?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:40 PM

Thanks Travis, I just read Bob's article, and it had just what i needed in it. I Soldered the joints instead of wiretaps, so hopefully i won't have any bugs...

Thanks again it's working great!

Steve
Old 03-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NorCalVP
Thanks Travis, I just read Bob's article, and it had just what i needed in it. I Soldered the joints instead of wiretaps, so hopefully i won't have any bugs...

Thanks again it's working great!

Steve
Whew! That's good to hear. I didn't note the wires that were spliced. Glad you got it wired up ok!

Did you install the new Pezo?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NorCalVP

BTW why is everyone so unhappy with the Rs3000?
My only complaint was the remote range. Its only 15 ft or so.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
steve,

over the years i've noted the following:

- spotty reliability (probably due to splices)
- range (as travis mentioned)
- malfunctioning or failing piezos (over a long period of time, but should last longer than it does)

now dont think that EVERYONE has these problems. these are just some of the probs ive experienced as well as some others

bob
Old 03-28-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
steve,

over the years i've noted the following:

- spotty reliability (probably due to splices)
- range (as travis mentioned)
- malfunctioning or failing piezos (over a long period of time, but should last longer than it does)

now dont think that EVERYONE has these problems. these are just some of the probs ive experienced as well as some others

bob

That's good to hear bob.

I soldered all of my connections, so that shouldn't be a problem. I hate those damn wiretaps anyways...

Range shouldn't be that big of a consern. It's parked in the garage at night. and really i don't need a ton of range.

The piezo I disabled anyway. I don't like the sound of the chirp. I just use visual conformation when the lights blink.

Sounds like I'll hopefully be pretty happy with this.

Steve