Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rough start and white smoke on occasion

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough start and white smoke on occasion

1997 3.4 4WD 4Runner
113K miles and I've owned it from 90K and have used Mobil1 for every oil change since then.

Anyways, I've noticed that there will be a short shakey start followed by 10-15 seconds of white smoke out of the tailpipe. But this ONLY occurs when my truck has been sitting for a week or more. I've had it parked for 5-6 days and it it has started up fine w/o the smoke.

So my question is: Should I have taken my truck in for the now ended headgasket recall or is this an issue not to be too concerned with?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM

My truck spews white smoke in the morning after a cold start..i dont mind because if it were serious, it would always have the smoke.

If it only does it after a week or so,
Don't let it sit for more than a week.
problem solved.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:59 AM

THat shakey start should never happen...my tacoma sits for 2 mths at a time during summer...i turn it on in the fall and it fires up no problem no smoke nothing.

Sad to say but yes that is looking like a head gasket failure. Look under you oil cap what does it look like.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
THat shakey start should never happen...my tacoma sits for 2 mths at a time during summer...i turn it on in the fall and it fires up no problem no smoke nothing.

Sad to say but yes that is looking like a head gasket failure. Look under you oil cap what does it look like.
My oil cap is actually dry at the moment as I haven't ran it in a week. But the oil on the inside spout and from the dipstick are still of a deep black hue. No chocolate milk here.

Also I've kept watch over my resevoir tank for a little over 10 months now. I have two marks made (one for a hot engine and one for a cold) and the coolant level has not dived below those marks at all as far as I can see. I've never had to refill the coolant.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:09 AM

Still seems very odd! Of course there is a chance its fine and you have some ignition problems (shaky start) but just be weary and keep an eye on that tank.

These HG's like to go slowly then pop..
Old 05-28-2007, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suppose it depends on the climate in your area, but all vehicles start up with white "smoke" here when it's cool.

Are you sure the "smoke" isn't just condensation. If it does not have a sickly sweet smell (like coolant) if probably is just condensation. None of your other symptoms indicate a head gasket failure, and your shakey start could be from a bunch of other things.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 AM

I agree on the condensation diagnosis. Also, I have had a leaky valve seal drip a slight bit into one or more cyls which will cause smoke and poor running untill the oil is burnt up. Check your plugs after it sits before start up and see if you notice oil (or even coolant) in there. You can borrow or buy a boroscope too, I think Eastwood sells them. Then you can look inside the cyls when you have the plugs out. Dont panic but its worth doin a little "CSI" stuff. I would get right down there and sniff the white smoke...if its sweet, its coolant, if it burns your eyes its oil, if its steamy, its condensation!.
Mike
Old 05-28-2007, 10:36 AM

^ heh perfect...i never rule anything out until its all checked out...would suck to loose the HG on a road trip or something.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

The 96 and 97 5VZFE HG campaign was for an external flaw on the passenger-side bank. Look for coolant running down the block. It's unlikely that this flaw, if it's the problem, would have ever made it possible to combust coolant. However, it probably would have been a good idea to have had the recall done. Oh well.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
The 96 and 97 5VZFE HG campaign was for an external flaw on the passenger-side bank. Look for coolant running down the block. It's unlikely that this flaw, if it's the problem, would have ever made it possible to combust coolant. However, it probably would have been a good idea to have had the recall done. Oh well.
Yeah I read that it was an external leak, and mine hasn't shown any signs of coolant leakage.

chopitrakeit, that's some good advice, I'm gonna check that and report back later. But I doubt climate would be the source. Here in west Texas, we have nothing but sun and sand.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 PM

yea thats why i was wondering...normally you would get some steam/haze from the exhaust in the fall/winter here in BC.,..my cell phone goes nuts when the first cold snap of winter hits and people are asking why tere is white smoke from there tailpipe.

In texas however...not likely Just drive it and keep eye out on the markings you made to see if you loose coolant over time.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:31 PM

Coult be leaky valve seals...but that would mark the first time I've heard of that happening on the 3.4.

Non turbo MR2s, camrys and celicas are another story though. Leave a high mileage 5SFE sitting for a few hours and you'll lay down a smoke screen on startup. People always thought my engine was going to blow...I just figured it was a little extra lubrication on startup
Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM

that would be blue smoke tho...

i agree about the 5s's those engines are to funny...
Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 AM

Started the truck up today and noticed the smoke again. The color appeared to have a hint of blue in it but it was hard to make out, even with a white towel behind it.

The smell was odd, I'd have to say sweet was the best way to describe it but there wasn't actually a smell at all.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:15 PM

dang this is a pain.....
hint of blue....smelt sweet but not.....
Personally there really isn't enough evidence yet to prove anything so just drive it
Old 05-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
dang this is a pain.....
hint of blue....smelt sweet but not.....
Personally there really isn't enough evidence yet to prove anything so just drive it
Haha, yes it is a pain.

I plan on driving it until symptoms get worse. I might try a thicker motor oil.

Thanks for the help though, I'll keep this thread updated if anything new occurs.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM

HG usually blow with either blue or white smoke.
since coolant leaks into the oil, im not sure what the smell would be..
Coolant is sweet, but oil is more acidic..