Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

rough idle, after tearing the heads off

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rough idle, after tearing the heads off

So i just finished tearing into my wifes 97 3.4 4runner. i did a head gasket job and replaced just about every gasket on the motor, becuase we were getting a big puff of smoke at startup after the truck sits for a few hours. well now it idles pretty rough, it took cranking about 30 times for 6-7 seconds, to start, but now will start right up. it idles really rough and the motor is a little shakey. I made sure to line the timming marks on the crank up and set it on the TDC stroke at 0'. Then the cam pullies went on with the pin that keeps them in line with the cam, and the marks on the pully lined up with the marks on the rear timming cover. but MAYBE the exhaust cam did not exactlly line back up,( my markings i made durring tear down, pretty much washed away durring cleaning). In the morning I will take off the valve cover and check vavle clearance. Does anyone know visually, when checking clearance on a specific lobe should the lobe be pointing 180 deg. from the valve or 90 deg. before or after contact? that is the only thing I can think of that is wrong, Any other ideas? I did see some posts about cleaning maf sensor, so ill try that, and im gonna do a recheck on vac lines, although when i remove one of the vac lines on the intake, it lets me know right away so i doubt i missed any.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Great minds need reassurance evey once in a while

Thank You ALL

PS. does anyone know what a BLINKING engine light means (this happened after it started)
Old 12-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by surphrat420
PS. does anyone know what a BLINKING engine light means (this happened after it started)
This is all I can help with..

Blinking CEL=Misfire.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:09 PM

blinking engine light

count number of times is blinks

look the code up in manual

should point you is department of the engine
Old 12-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beast
blinking engine light

count number of times is blinks

look the code up in manual

should point you is department of the engine
This ONLY applies to OBD I trucks when jumpered. OBDII (like on the 97) systems don't flash their codes.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:11 PM

yeah right, the book says OBDII, and you need the scanner to check it. I have an autozone right down the street, but i dont want to mess anything up driving it with a cam possibly out pf position. If blinking CEL is misfire im willing to bet the codes are cylinder missfire on 2, 4, 6, if its the cam that sounds louder than the other.

How far off does a exhaust cam or timming belt on intake pully have to be to cause an idle that will barely stay running.
Also.....When i rev the motor it does seem not to missfire anymore. but it has a harddddd time idling
Old 01-01-2006, 01:56 PM

Sounds to me that the timing belt is off one or more marks....
Old 01-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So i just finished tearing into my wifes 97 3.4 4runner. i did a head gasket job and replaced just about every gasket on the motor, becuase we were getting a big puff of smoke at startup after the truck sits for a few hours. well now it idles pretty rough, it took cranking about 30 times for 6-7 seconds, to start, but now will start right up. it idles really rough and the motor is a little shakey. I made sure to line the timming marks on the crank up and set it on the TDC stroke at 0'. Then the cam pullies went on with the pin that keeps them in line with the cam, and the marks on the pully lined up with the marks on the rear timming cover. but MAYBE the exhaust cam did not exactlly line back up,( my markings i made durring tear down, pretty much washed away durring cleaning). In the morning I will take off the valve cover and check vavle clearance. Does anyone know visually, when checking clearance on a specific lobe should the lobe be pointing 180 deg. from the valve or 90 deg. before or after contact? that is the only thing I can think of that is wrong, Any other ideas? I did see some posts about cleaning maf sensor, so ill try that, and im gonna do a recheck on vac lines, although when i remove one of the vac lines on the intake, it lets me know right away so i doubt i missed any.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Great minds need reassurance evey once in a while

Thank You ALL

I would pull the timing cover again and double check that all is lined up correctly since that is pretty easy to check. Often the timing marks will be off when the belt actually gets tensioned (I often have to tension it twice since it can be off even when I do it....and I have done quite a few). Other than that I would suggest double checking all the connections (vacuum lines, sensors, ground straps, etc). Also get your CEL code so we can have a shot at diagnosis via that too. Last thought is to check the spark plugs since something as simple as a damaged plug can cause symptoms like that.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:04 PM

YEAH BABY!!
Got it fixed...its amazing what putting in the exhaust cams with the tiny little dots at the REAR of the gear in line with the tiny holes on the rear of the intake cams , will do!!
All seems good , no leaks , no smoke ....
double DOHC what a headache the FIRST time. ( at least now i now the secret)

The exhaust cams were put back in with out putting tension on the sub gear, its still sounds like a diesel, i belive the sub gear needs to be tensioned, that will be next weekends project....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!@!!:happy bda
Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YEAH BABY!!
Got it fixed...its amazing what putting in the exhaust cams with the tiny little dots at the REAR of the gear in line with the tiny holes on the rear of the intake cams , will do!!
All seems good , no leaks , no smoke ....
double DOHC what a headache the FIRST time. ( at least now i now the secret)

The exhaust cams were put back in with out putting tension on the sub gear, its still sounds like a diesel, i belive the sub gear needs to be tensioned, that will be next weekends project....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!@!!:happy bda
I didn't know you removed the cams too....
If you need help with getting the valvetrain back up to snuff I suggest you PM Gadget.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-01-2006 at 05:11 PM.