Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rortrex SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rortrex SC

Anybody ever heard of Rortrex Supercharger Systems ? I heard they designed a custom SC for the 22re. Makes me wonder if they could do the same for the 3VZE, taking into consideration the headgakset problems.

EDIT:

I emailed one of their Reaserch and Development guys...

Mr. Thomsen –

I heard about your company through one of the off-road magazines I subscribe to. I am also a member of an online forum called Yotatech (www.yotatech.com), where thousands of us are constantly looking for ways to squeeze more power out of our rigs. The magazine I read said that you designed a supercharger for the 22re Toyota engine. I was wondering what other applications you had available or would consider making available, such as the 3VZE engine. Many of us have that engine, and suffer from a considerable lack of power. I, for one, have done everything commercially available to coax the engine to put out more power… but my results have left something to be desired. I was excited to learn of your company, and look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Chris Hearn

We'll see what they have to say. I'll post the response if I get one.

Last edited by Churnd; 09-26-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awsome man. I'd love to have a supercharger on my engine. DOA has made some new head studs that supposedly hold MUCH better than stock, and eliminate, for the most part, headgasket failure. http://www.doaracingengines.com/index.html
Old 09-26-2003, 01:45 PM

Hmm, I thought the main factor in the HG failure was the HG design... not the studs. I might be wrong though. If those studs would actually eliminate any HG worries, a supercharger is very doable. One guy on Pirate4x4 actually turbo'd his 3VZE with, as far as I know, successful results. And that's without the upgraded studs, since I read about that over 2 years ago. I'm anxious to get a reply from Rortrex.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:09 PM

I recall asking about the head bolts a while back. Supras came with their head bolts not tight enough and that contributed to the HG failures. The 90 degree tightening sequence of the 3.0 bolts really seemed odd. Now if these studs eliminate HG failure there isn't any real reason we can't supercharge or turbocharg for more power. Granted our heads won't flow like the 4 valvers on the 3.4 but any improvement in power would be nice.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:22 PM

I don't know much about the specific headgasket problems of the 3VZE, but I know that metal gaskets will also help. So it's very probably that a combination of these better studs and a metal gasket will prevent the headgasket failures.

The other thing you need to consider is detonation, how much boost do you plan on running, and how much the hp the fuel system can support. Then you may need to have your eprom reprogrammed to make use of all the extra air. Lot's and lot's of things to consider. As much as I hate Chevy.... I bet it would be about the same cost to drop in a crate V8. If tuned properly you would get better gas mileage too. But for the Toyota purist with lots of money, the SC might be an option.

Another thing to consider instead of a SC would be putting on a small turbo. With a T25 you could get a decent HP upgrade(not huge because it's small), but most importantly it would be considerably cheaper, and it would net the HP in the low rpm range where you would need it for wheeling. With a T3 you would get much better power at a higher rpm which would net better highway mileage, but not as good for crawling. Either way, both turbos can be acquired for cheap from JY's and rebuilt or bought new for a less than half the cost of a SC. T3's can be found in Eclipse's, and T25's out of a Twin Turbo 300ZX.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:39 PM

I'm all for any improvements that increase power on the 3vze.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That supercharger would work on almost any motor if you sized it right.
I have long been an advocate of the centrifugal type because you can even intercool them for more power!

Anyone have a price for one of those bad boys (esp the SP30) ?
Old 09-27-2003, 02:09 PM

I'd love to see an engine turbo or supercharged. Turbo would be a little harder considering that you have to make new headers. In my case, I'd love a turbo charger. I can go fine off road, but when it comes to the free way it sucks. I'd rather have a turbo for the free way instead of a supercharger, but either would be a dream for me.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by oly884
I'd love to see an engine turbo or supercharged. Turbo would be a little harder considering that you have to make new headers. In my case, I'd love a turbo charger. I can go fine off road, but when it comes to the free way it sucks. I'd rather have a turbo for the free way instead of a supercharger, but either would be a dream for me.
Why would either suck on a freeway?
You are just at cruising speed right?

I would definately do a supercharger over a turbo, way less custom work and no lag!
Old 09-27-2003, 03:25 PM

I honestly think the 3ZVE engine is a lost cause. I don't care how much money you throw at it, it still has too many shortcomings. Supercharge or turbocharge? Say it with me - single digit gas mileage!

I'd rather invest in a swap. A 3.4 with a SC gets better gas mileage than my 3.0 in stock form (as long as the thrill of acceleration isn't dipped into too often )

Of course, I'm not doing anything until my 3.0 has BIG problems...
Old 09-27-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
I have long been an advocate of the centrifugal type because you can even intercool them for more power!
Good thing you can intercool them. Since they are the least efficient, you need to add that extra plumbing to them to overcome their deficiency when compared to roots-type SC's.

Over simplified a bit...
Old 09-27-2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Why would either suck on a freeway?
You are just at cruising speed right?

I would definately do a supercharger over a turbo, way less custom work and no lag!
I'm talking about how my truck sucks right now with NA and free way speeds.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
Good thing you can intercool them. Since they are the least efficient, you need to add that extra plumbing to them to overcome their deficiency when compared to roots-type SC's.

Over simplified a bit...
Yeah, they are pretty much like a belt driven turbo (since they spin at 120,000RPM!!!) The roots types spin much slower and generate less heat via air friction. I would be curious to see the air temp at the intake on each (both with and without an intercooler), then people could make a better informed decision on the design for their rigs.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:30 AM

Ok I got a reply from the guy I emailed...

Dear Chris Hearn

First of all thank you for your interest and inquiry about our product.
We are the manufacturer or the ROTREX supercharger, and in general we do not source supercharger kits. We have a network of dealers who develop and distribute supercharger kits based on the ROTREX S/C. On our web you can find technical information and download general installation instructions.

For the 3VZE I would definitely recommend the SP30 S/C series. The high efficiency of the S/C allows installation without intercooler for low to moderate boosting. For maximum performance intercooling is relatively simple and cheap for this type of S/C.

Boostec located in Colorado Springs has plenty of boosting experience and develops kits for Toyotas. For further information please contact boostec Boostec@msn.com

Kind regards

Mark Thomsen
Denmark

Tlf: +45 3615 9100
Fax: +45 3616 6505
E-mail: mst@rotrex.eu.com
Internet: http://www.rotrex.eu.com
I guess the next step is to contact Boostec unless somebody here already knows something about them? The name does sound a little familiar.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:45 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Chris Hearn

First of all thank you for your interest and inquiry about our product.
We are the manufacturer or the ROTREX supercharger, and in general we do not source supercharger kits. We have a network of dealers who develop and distribute supercharger kits based on the ROTREX S/C. On our web you can find technical information and download general installation instructions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the same response I got from Magneson about the units they make for TRD. Do they all have the same copy writer?

I was looking at those DOA headbolts last night. They look pretty promising. Instead of buying these things from Denmark, why not try Paxton or Vortech (sp?). They also make centrifugal SC's. The question is, do they make one small enough?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:57 AM

Any one heard back from Boostec yet? I'm going to e-mail DOA to see if their headbolts would keep the head gaskets from blowing due to the addition of forced induction. This would be awsome if you could do that. I know I'd take the time to replace the headbolts, and make all the brackets for the S/C.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:07 AM

Also, anyone know the pricing for the SP30? It looks like the best fit. Plus it has a dry sump system, with an external oil reservoir, filter and cooler.

Last edited by oly884; 10-07-2003 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:09 AM

There has to be some people interested in doing this. Any advice comments, or suggestions on how this should be put together would be nice.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:23 AM

I've been pretty busy lately and somehow, forgot all about this. :pat: I'm going to email Boostec with the same one I sent to Rotrex and see what they say.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Cebby
Actually the Roots-type S/C is less efficient than a centrifugal S/C. Because I don't like typing length explinations I found a little clip for ya'll:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...age/index.html

I'd much rather have a centrifugal S/C than a roots. One idea I've had in the past to help overcome the centrifugal S/C's tendancy to only make high RPM power is to plumb a wastegate in the intact tract before the MAF sensor (after the S/C) and set it for your desired boost level, say 8psi. This would allow for the use of a smaller pulley on the S/C allowing it to make more boost down low. Once the desired boost is met (8psi) at 3000RPM (versus the 8psi you'd make at 6k RPM with the standard, larger pulley), the wastegate then vents the excess compressed air and recirculates it back to the intake tract before the S/C. The wastegate could make minor adjustments by venting or holding in the compressor charge to maintain the 8psi from 3k all the way to redline. Yea baby....

Even this set-up would generate less heat than a Roots-type S/C generating comparable boost levels.

Last edited by Faded; 10-07-2003 at 01:33 PM.