Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

roof rack light mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roof rack light mounts

can you mix and match light mounts to go on different racks. for instance, could i by a con ferr light mount and somehow put it on a surco rack?
Old 06-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Before I got my Yakima light mounts for my roof, I had played around with the Yakima Snap Arounds that hold Yak gear to Yak & Thule racks.
Here are my Yakima light mounts.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/mod18a.jpg

Those probably will not fit your rack, but I am sure the Snap Arounds will work.
Snap Arounds.

I had taken my Hella 500s and bolted them into the holes of the Snap Arounds and they worked perfect on my rack.
They work with round & square tubing.

I ended up using the ones made for the lights though from Yakima, but the Snap Arounds would have worked just as good.
These are dirt cheap, and might work on your Surco racks tubing.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Hey corey, where did you pick up those light mounts, and how much did they set you back? I'm thinking of getting some for mine and maybe mounting some Hella 550s on the lower side of the mount so they will be hidden by the fairing. I haven't acually measured, but I'm crossing my fingers. I really don't need anything else up there blocking wind. I already get bad enough mileage on the hiway, and going to and from school I have a group that I travel with and they of course like to haul (i don't mind, the sooner we get there the better) but leaving the mountains in the rolling hills, somtimes its just like nope, can't go anyfaster. Plus, its less work for the engine. wow... didn't know i could blab that much about why I want better aerodynamics...

Thanks,
Old 06-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I think they run about $30 a pair.
If you go to www.yakima.com you will see them.
Theri site uses Flash now, so it's kind of hard to navigate, and you can not bookmark stuff, it's all tables I believe.

I ordered mine from REI a few years back.
They should also be on REI's homepage.

Also mine are not mounted up that high now.
You can put the bracket much lower and not that the lights stick up as high as my close-up photo shows.
I only ran them that way until I found out from a member how to mount them lower.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by turboale
Hey corey, where did you pick up those light mounts, and how much did they set you back? I'm thinking of getting some for mine and maybe mounting some Hella 550s on the lower side of the mount so they will be hidden by the fairing. I haven't acually measured, but I'm crossing my fingers. I really don't need anything else up there blocking wind. I already get bad enough mileage on the hiway, and going to and from school I have a group that I travel with and they of course like to haul (i don't mind, the sooner we get there the better) but leaving the mountains in the rolling hills, somtimes its just like nope, can't go anyfaster. Plus, its less work for the engine. wow... didn't know i could blab that much about why I want better aerodynamics...

Thanks,
um.....I hate to state the obvious but isn't the fairing going to block the light? Or do you plan on flipping them up when you need them?

C
Old 06-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I'd probably only use them when I go off-road, or just not on an everyday basis, and the fairing flips down easy to reveal the lights.

Thanks Corey, not as bad as I thought. Seeing as the tire mount is $60.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:26 AM

hella 550s = good

fit nice, and not so redneck looking w/ the valance up

http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=KGCGIB