Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Roof Rack, considering removal - looks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rack, considering removal - looks?

Waxing up the Runner while it's raining today. Decided to remove the three smaller cross sections of the roof rack for ease of "wax on/wax off". Those suckers catch a lot of crap under there. Has anyone ever noticed this?

Back to my original point. Thinking about removing the two larger cross sections and leaving them off as well and just leaving the two supports that connect directly to the roof.

Would this look stupid? Anyone else ever done this? I'll never put anything up there. I will admit I've seen SUV's without roof racks and they look kind of plain. On the other hand, it does offer nice clean lines.

What do think? By the way, love the forum. I'm on the internet more than ever because of this forum. Good reading & informative!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:05 PM

If you never use it, remove the crossbars. It never hurts to be more aerodynamic, especially with a brick.

It would not be noticeable at all. The crossbars are black and "invisible" to the casual glance anyway.

It would suck though if you needed it one day somewhere but you can always put them back on.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:07 PM

If you do remove it all and want to get rid of it i will give you $15 for it.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't use it, and you don't want it, rip it off and sell it.
Win win.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

the roof rack is the second thing i took off my rig the day ibought it home. the first thing were the running boards. then i removed all the badging, fenders and lower bumper valance. looks like a million bucks! oh ya and the hitch reciever.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by uboatcmndr
the roof rack is the second thing i took off my rig the day ibought it home. the first thing were the running boards. then i removed all the badging, fenders and lower bumper valance. looks like a million bucks! oh ya and the hitch reciever.
why why why? I am hearing the twilight zone theme song in my head.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:46 PM

Well now what do I do? I asked the wife. She likes it better with the roof rack. I was leaning the other direction.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by k-man
Well now what do I do? I asked the wife. She likes it better with the roof rack. I was leaning the other direction.
Uhoh if she has a say your stuck. My woman is the same way in a way.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:05 PM

She doesn't care either way since it's my truck. If she drove it all the time, then she would. I asked her opinion and she gave it. She's pretty cool about that kind of stuff. She thinks it looks better with it on, more rugged, etc. I'll give her credit she's got a pretty good eye for detail.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

You want rugged or clean?
Old 10-23-2004, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scofco
You want rugged or clean?
Ive never actually heard someone say the factory roof rails makes their rig look rugged.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

To ME it is all unnecesary accoutrement. I like the stripped down sleeper minimalist thing. What's the deals with all this stuff anyway? All these trucks running around town looking like heavily ornamented xmas trees. X dat bling man!
Old 10-23-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by uboatcmndr
To ME it is all unnecesary accoutrement. I like the stripped down sleeper minimalist thing. What's the deals with all this stuff anyway? All these trucks running around town looking like heavily ornamented xmas trees. X dat bling man!
Uhhhh yeah? :pat:
Old 10-23-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Yoter
Ive never actually heard someone say the factory roof rails makes their rig look rugged.
Ah, good point. You see 'em all the time on minivans. Hmmm, does that make minivans rugged???
Old 10-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

On my '97 I have just the plastic strips where the rails would be and IMO it looks better than nothing up there but I'd rahter have a full roof rack since they don't look bad for a factory piece and do look areodynamic.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by k-man
Ah, good point. You see 'em all the time on minivans. Hmmm, does that make minivans rugged???
Must be a chick thang.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:23 AM

I took the three cross bars off of my 4Runner the day after we bought it. I second the fact that they catch alot of debris. I've actually been considering pulling off the black spoiler/rear wind deflector on the back door. Does anyone know if this thing is actually functional. I thought I read somewhere that it's supposed to keep the rear window semi-slean by forcing air over the rear window. Isn't that what the rear windshield wiper is for?
Old 10-24-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now you got me thinking. What do those 3 smaller crossmembers do anyway but create noise, drag, and abrade the paint? They're coming off today. Anytime I've had to use the roof rack was for some lumber and plywood anyway which only needs the 2 bigger crossmembers. It's funny besause everytime I washed & waxed the rig I allways removed the 3 smaller ones and put them back on after. Duh!
:pat:
Old 10-24-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by zebra1550
I took the three cross bars off of my 4Runner the day after we bought it. I second the fact that they catch alot of debris. I've actually been considering pulling off the black spoiler/rear wind deflector on the back door. Does anyone know if this thing is actually functional. I thought I read somewhere that it's supposed to keep the rear window semi-slean by forcing air over the rear window. Isn't that what the rear windshield wiper is for?
I had an Explorer two vehicles ago and also a minivan and neither of those had the rear spoiler/wind deflector. I have noticed since purchasing my 4Runner a significant reduction in dust and dirt build up on the rear as compared to previous vehicles. I've attributed it to the spoiler/wind deflector.

I'm kind of fanatical about keeping my vehicle clean and just notice those kinds of things. Guys at work think I'm nuts. I don't know what it is but for whatever reason a good clean vehicle just seems to ride and drive better.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Swede
Now you got me thinking. What do those 3 smaller crossmembers do anyway but create noise, drag, and abrade the paint? They're coming off today. Anytime I've had to use the roof rack was for some lumber and plywood anyway which only needs the 2 bigger crossmembers. It's funny besause everytime I washed & waxed the rig I allways removed the 3 smaller ones and put them back on after. Duh!
:pat:
I agree with you, Swede. I'm sure the three smaller crossmembers are there for putting one of those super cool luggage compartments you can rent from places like U-Haul. However I don't want to be that cool.

I remember as a kid traveling down the interstate in Dad's Olds Custom Cruiser wagon with one of those strapped to the top. Here you are sitting in the back (as a teenager) traveling down the road, praying to God that no one you know will see you.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack, considering removal - looks?