Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Roof Rack/basket with Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rack/basket with Sunroof?

On my '98 4-runner, I have a sunroof, and do not have the factory roof-rack. I want to install a rack and gear basket up top, but it seems like alot of the racks that grab onto the edge of the door frame would end up placing the basket right over the sun roof, sort of defeats the purpose of having the sunroof. Any suggestions/alternatives? Does anyone manufacture baskets that would attach directly to the roof (not to an existing roof rack)?
Old 03-19-2003, 11:49 AM

Once upon a time I was in the exact same boat as you with my 96. Check out my website for all the stuff I did. I bought the factory roof rack rails from a toyota dealer, Thule feet and bars to give me a basic rack. Then I bought a basket and adapters to mount it to the thule bars. Then came the lights, lol.

Here's where I am now...

everyday setup

sports and recreation

wheeling (though I usually also have a tool box and my spare up top when wheeling)
Old 03-19-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Chemist,

I've set up my Thule roof rack both ways: on the front above the moonroof and on the factory rails.

There are pros and cons to both. On the front, as you mentioned, it will limit your ability to use the moonroof. Not to mention, you and your passengers might hit your head on the end of the bars when entering the vehicle. After seeing my friend's wife do this to herself on my 4runner (despite my warnings to everyone to watch out), it was time to take them off and move them on the back. Another disavantage is that if you have a long ski/rocket box-type cargo box, it will stick over the windshield. The lift generated by this is not good for the box.

The advantage to this setup is that you will spend less to get this set up. The main additional cost of going this route is that you won't have to buy the factory rails. Also, the load bearing capacity is much higher. Finally, if theft is big in your area, it is much more difficult (notice i didnt say impossible) to remove them from your 4runner b/c the arms of the feet pad grab under the upper door sill.

REAR
If you decide to mount on the rear, you'll have to buy the factory rails or some similar system. Then youll have to buy the mounting feet that fit on the rails. The pros of this set up is that you wont have the overhang problem as I mentioned above. Also, it looks factory and it is much easier to move the rack system on the rails, should you need to reposition them.

Cons: it is absurd how easy it is to steal a system mounted this way. My friend who owns his own body shop demonstrated by taking a rubber mallet, whacking the ends of my bars and lifting them off. Sometimes he has to do this when people don't remove these systems and he has to work on their cars.

I'm sure I'm missing a few points, but for me, the best way to go is to buy the factory rails, buy a complete system that mounts on these rails, and then go from there. These things last forever so consider it an investment. I've had my Thule system for over 10 years now. 13 to be exact. I don't really have a problem w/ theft in my neighborhood and if someone steals it, so be it. What can you do?

You can buy all of this stuff on the cheap on eBay. Trust me, scour ebay b/f you go to REI or a specialty rack store.

Oh, and it was momentarily funny watching my friend's wife bonk her head on the endcap but watching her fall was not!

Bob
Old 03-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info guys!

Its funny seeing someone slip, fall, whack their head, etc., until you realize they are actually hurt! I got a great laugh watching my friend walk straight into a glass door just recently.