95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof rack?

Hey all-
I have a 1996 4Runner Limited. Here's what I want to do...
I'm going to be installing a Performance Products front spoiler with the Hella driving lights. I'm going to take my rig to RockWare in Colorado Springs to have a bumper fabbed to my rig including a tire carrier and High Lift mount. I have looked at pictures of other 3rd gens with the RockWare bumper and haven't really found a place that 1 or 2 gas cans could be mounted without interfering with lift-gate operation.
This summer, I plan to do a lot of off-roading. I've lifted my rig and will be ordering a heavy duty skid plate soon. I'm contemplating the addition of a safari rack. Here's my question:
With two gas cans on top of the rig along with a shovel and the weight of the basket, have any of you who have a safari rack noticed any additional sway or uncomfortable lean when off-roading? Also, have you encountered any low-hanging obstacles (trees, rocks, etc) that have impeded the use of the rack?
And my final question: Where is the best place to get a safari rack?
Xtreme, do you sell them?

Thank you!
Old 01-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I carry one 2.5 gal jerry can on my roof along with a Hi-Lift & shovel.

That is a lot of weight up top, and I notice no difference at all with it up there.

In fact the gas can is still up there from our November 8th run of last year.
I should take it off someday

I have dragged my rack against a few low hanging limbs from trees, and it doesn't hurt it a bit.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/11_9_02/42.jpg

You might consider the smaller jerry cans too, as they save on height.
I got mine from
Generator Joe.

These are the real deal, and they will not leak.
They have the small size like mine, and the bigger 5 gallons ones too.
More info here.

Steve S. use to run them on top of his rig, and he had them on the side instead of straight up for the 5 gal ones.
They won't leak, they are that good.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Speak of the ! Did you see this Lance?!

Lance (Bighead) and myself were just discussing today doing the Rock Ware rear bumper but aren't in any hurry. Phong has indicated in the past that they could do some sort of group buy discount. The rear bumpers are roughly around $900 if purchased individually.

Please keep both of us informed of your endeavors or ideas on this.

FYI to the rest of you, the only Rock Ware rear bumper made for a 3rd gen (that I'm aware of) was originally made for Ishikawa (Max) of 4x4 Wire who sold it to Vince Kao last year. His site with some pics is here.

The only thing I would like to see changed would be the bumper going straight to the wheel well as opposed being angled downward.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice

That is a sweet design. I wonder how much extra clearance that setup nets...:eek:
Old 01-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren
Speak of the ! Did you see this Lance?!
HAH! I thought of you and Phong when I saw HaveBlue's post. Then I saw you had already posted. Beat me to the punch.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Corey-thanks for the reply!

The rear bumpers are roughly around $900 if purchased individually.
:wtf: I didn't know they cost that much!!!
I'm still waiting for a response from Rock Ware. I was expecting maybe $700.
I'd still like to get it. I'm tired of getting rear bumpers replaced because of a**hole drivers that follow too close. :mad:

It's funny...last year, the 4Runner saw very few mods. I think it only got the headers and a lift. This year, it'll be getting the front spoiler, rear bumper, manual hubs, skid plate, new wheels, new sound system, and a whole bunch of electronic gismos.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Look into the guy who built Gadget's rear bumper too.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=3907

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=3944

The price was very low from what I remember.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

When Phong initially brought up this rear bumper idea, I was thinking "group buy" was going to mean 2, maybe 3 at the most. I am really curious what they could do as far as a discount being that we may have a strong 3. I'm going over to JadeRunner's (Scott's) place on Sunday and will ask him if he may be interested as well as he has expressed interest in the past. Every $10 saved helps.

I guess there was a 2nd part to this post, huh Alan?! Almost forgot about that. No problems that I've encountered. The rack alone will not do enough to raise the center of gravity. I have had my spare up there and the only thing it affected is the noise going over rocks/bumps, but not handling. Like Corey, I've hit many branches on the lights, rack and tire, but no problems. It just brushes everything out of the way.

By the way, if you're interested in the Wilderness rack, I got mine at Gear on the Go here in town. They have (and still may) have 10% coupons you can download in their in store discount section. With the 10% off, it was cheaper than any online outlet.

Last edited by Darren; 01-17-2003 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, and along the lines of what Justin mentioned on the other board: A spoiler in the front and a HD bumper in the back? I'm not sure I understand that one even if cars do keep hitting you.

A front bumper is far more important than a rear bumper in my opinion. Don't see many doing it the other way around as you're proposing.

Last edited by Darren; 01-17-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:11 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

If you put the beef out back, ya just gotta add some beef up front too

I'd be doing a TJM or an ARB up front also.
Unless you go with a custom one.

It's nice just to have a good off road bumper up front for the added protection.
Remember what happened to Jataga?

Made that Honda owner wear a nice gash down her side
Old 01-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HaveBlue
:wtf: I didn't know they cost that much!!!
I'm still waiting for a response from Rock Ware. I was expecting maybe $700.
I was waiting a while for a response from Rockware also, long enough to forget I e-mailed them. Luckily Phong had been talking to them on the phone. I just want to stress that the $900 was a ballpark figure that was told to Phong. Could be higher or lower, you guys know the deal.

Darren: do you know what Max paid for the bumper?
Old 01-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Right at $900. You are right in that it could always be higher or lower. That being said, I am excited about the prospects of a group buy. Rock Ware is where I'm getting it done whenever that time comes, no doubt about it. No use for me going out of state for this when we have some of the best off-road fabricators around.

Here's Max's original post on this.

Steep price? I don't know. As with anything, that is for each individual to assess. Is $900 a lot less than what Slee Off-Road would charge ($1,600-1,800)? I believe so.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren
Right at $900. You are right in that it could always be higher or lower. That being said, I am excited about the prospects of a group buy. Rock Ware is where I'm getting it done whenever that time comes, no doubt about it. No use for me going out of state for this when we have some of the best off-road fabricators around.
I am pretty excited also . There seems to be more interest in this than I originally thought. A group discount would be nice. Whatever the amount, every little bit helps.

One big issue for me is the installation piece. I know Phong was asking if the bumper could be sent to the East Coast and welded on by somebody else (fit issues?). I don't think we ever got a response back from Rockware on if that was possible. I have some friends that are getting stationed at Peterson AFB, maybe it is time for a road/mod trip.

Damn, my next major mod was going to be a re-gear and rear locker.