Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rockcrawler choice.. FJ40 or '85 p/u 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockcrawler choice.. FJ40 or '85 p/u 4runner?

Well, title basically says it all. I'm looking to get back into offroading again, but this time I want to do it with function first, looks/comfort second. I think I've landed on either a later model FJ40 or a '85 pickup or 4runner (depending on availability of the right rig). I'm gonna have about $8k or so to build said truck. I'd like to be able to drive it on the street on occasion (to go crawling) and go just about anywhere. I was dead set on the FJ until I started thinking about replacement parts (I plan on breaking stuff) and I'm curious how hard it is to find parts for the FJ's. On the other hand, the mid 80's yota's are about as plentyfull as anything, not to mention cheaper to find, fix, and mod.

So, if you had the choice for the perfect weekend warrior (with az rocks/desert in mind) which would you choose? Or something else?

Things I'd add to either (maybe I'm out of my price range already and don't even know it?)
Front and rear lockers
Lift enough to clear 35s and maybe 38s
Wheels/tires (beadlock if not too much $$)

all that +price of rig= around $8-9k.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Banned

fj40 all the way for mainly trail rig only..... the reasoning is this, very modable.... and able to fit places the otehrs cant... also they are cool, and if thats not important, they really use the parts you put under it, im not guessing you are going to stick with original drivetrain parts but aftermarket or custom
Old 06-24-2004, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
fj40 all the way for mainly trail rig only..... the reasoning is this, very modable.... and able to fit places the otehrs cant... also they are cool, and if thats not important, they really use the parts you put under it, im not guessing you are going to stick with original drivetrain parts but aftermarket or custom
Well, from what I can tell, alot of people are doing 350 swaps, which I may consider, but rebuilding the original or replacing it may be my method of choice...haven't really decided on that yet. I know the cruisers are way cooler, but is the cost of modding going to be signifigantly more? Such as if I broke an axle? What about something like the power steering?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 PM

I guess I should add that I am also planning all of the obvious mods to either truck. (I.E. beefed up cooling system, rebuilding or replacing the engine/maybe swapping it for a larger powerplant, winch, on board air(for lockers among other uses)....and fixing/replacing anything that is not trail worthy.(getting stranded in the desert=very very bad).
Old 06-25-2004, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go for the FJ40...You're going to fix either up to be rock worthy, so you're basically talking about comfort, and coolness.

FJ has a removable top, warm in winter, open and hot in summer. Also lockable, so all that gear you're gonna buy stays yours.

Swap the rear end out for a stouter Dana or Ford. If you're gonna mod it, go ahead and use the best from every make. Personally, I've never broke an axle...Slow and steady prevents a lot of breakage.

FJ's win hands down in the looks department.

The best you can do on the truck is custom flatbed.

FJ wins, no contest.

If it were me, I'd take the FJ, overhaul what was broke, add AC, maybe a 5-speed, paintjob, better seats (maybe 80 series), a lift, Rino line the cargo area, and drive it. As you wheel, you'll discover what other mods need to happen.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:07 AM

you can....do whatever you want and just sell me your supra
Old 06-25-2004, 05:44 AM

I'd go for the pick-up.Parts are cheaper,they ride way better on the road,way quieter also.Off road they can go anywhere an FJ can go.Around here FJ's are going for 6-10k plus all your mods.
BTW ,i have a '85 Xtra cab,sr5,22re,4.88's,ect...,thats for sale. hehe
Old 06-25-2004, 06:06 AM

I faced this same choice a year ago and bought a 4Runner. The reason? Price. Old FJ40s are F'n expensive! When I was looking I was seeing beat-up '76 Cruisers for $7500 or cherry '92 4runners for $5000. On a limited budget, the 4Runner was a no brainer.

On trail merit alone? FJ40 hands down.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
FJ has a removable top, warm in winter, open and hot in summer. Also lockable, so all that gear you're gonna buy stays yours.
I agree the removable top is cool, but my experience with old Cruisers has shown them to be less-than-warm in the winter! Best to bundle up. And top on or off, it's gonna be pretty hot in the Phoenix summer!

Last edited by GV27; 06-25-2004 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I oughta pick up some of the old Toy trucks around here and sell 'em to y'all. I know of at least a couple 4wd's that are just sittin' in a field or behind someone's house. Probably have less rust than what you're used to.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:32 AM

Might I suggest:

As much as this horse has been beaten to death, I'd go for an '85 4Runner. Uh, actually, I did go for an '85 4Runner LOL! Now, I'm stuck with a '93 that will have to be made into some sort of family-able 4x4.
FJs are great as long as you don't have to drive them to get anywhere and find that the only 4 wheeling you do requires really short wheelbases. The advantage of a 4runner is the slightly longer, but still not overly long wheel base and the highway friendly 4cyl and 5sp. When you get into stairsteps or ledges having some extra wheel base comes in handy versus standing the FJ on its nose.
The 85 has a sturdy 5 speed which can take plenty of pony and abuse. Putting a 5sp in a FJ40 can be done. Just break out $2000-2500 for the tranny and the subsequent mods to get it to fit. I believe the imported 5sp has a low range gear set in it so it is still great offroad.
The '85 has factory multiport fuel injection. The FJ40 can have fuel injection (which is how I would go if I ever did one), but only TBI and then you wind up with a mix of Toyota and Chevy parts under the hood which I guess really isn't that big of a deal.
'85s have power steering. You'll have to come up with something for the FJ although again, it can be done for a price.
'85s aren't as hard to find as people seem to think they are. You can find decent ones relatively easily since they largely saw use as daily drivers as that was how Toyota built them and marketed them, quite successfully. Landcruisers were built to be used and abused and most of them were.
Heck, there are two '85s currently for sale on this board alone and one for only $2k! That would leave $6-7k to build it up. If you are doing your own work and the motor is in decent shape, that sort of dosh will take you a long way towards a good trail rig.
I'm a greedy cuss and still think I can get some of my money back after sticking well over $4500 just under the hood. I'm going to have to admit to being wrong at some point
Guess, I, uh, better get back to work...
Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by PhxTRDRunner
I'm gonna have about $8k or so to build said truck. I'd like to be able to drive it on the street on occasion (to go crawling) and go just about anywhere. So, if you had the choice for the perfect weekend warrior (with az rocks/desert in mind) which would you choose?
all that +price of rig= around $8-9k.
If I could get the dough together, there would be no question-

On Pirate 4x4 plus a spare,running motor(22re),spare transfer case,asst'd driveline parts.spare top,etc,etc... After selling some of that stuff, your net cost would be under 8,000
Old 06-25-2004, 11:07 PM

I would second the 85 runner unless you can find a nice AZ FJ40 with no rust...

The Runner will go anywhere you want and be more affordable and easier to mod/fix.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE old Cruisers but the Runner is more practicle.

If you want to, you can always shorten it and swap in a new 4.0v6 out of a 2004 runner
Old 06-25-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by RobT2k
If I could get the dough together, there would be no question-

On Pirate 4x4 plus a spare,running motor(22re),spare transfer case,asst'd driveline parts.spare top,etc,etc... After selling some of that stuff, your net cost would be under 8,000
Wow, thank you. I am going to give him a call...the only downside is, he already did all the fun stuff I wanted to do! Still, that rig definately deserves a look, and its not too far away.

Thanks for the post!
Old 06-26-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by PhxTRDRunner
Wow, thank you. I am going to give him a call...the only downside is, he already did all the fun stuff I wanted to do! Still, that rig definately deserves a look, and its not too far away.

Thanks for the post!
Super rig! The only question I have is how big a deal having different gearing in the front and rear end is. It is slight, but I wonder if it causes any binding in high traction situations.
You think he'd take both my 4Runners in trade for it?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd say to each his own. with the FJ40, you get a short wheelbase which is more maneuverable in tight spots. however, a pickup weighs far less, and can be had for cheaper
Old 06-28-2004, 04:13 AM

If you wanna buy one from Maine and have it shipped you can have it already built for $6500

ARB locker front
E-Locker Rear
38.5" TSL SX
5.29s F/R
custom bumpers and 8000 winch...

and the list goes on!