Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The rig is gettin the works!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rig is gettin the works!

OK...here is my finalized maintenance list...what do you guys think?

1. Fix cold starting problem - believed to be leaking cold start injector
2. Replace PCV Valve
3. Clean/Service Fuel Injectors
4. Replace 4x4 fluids, trans. fluid and differential fluid
5. Change engine coolant
6. Change windshield washer fluid
7. Check tire tread depth/wear
8. Lube chassis
9. Clean and adjust rear brakes as needed
10. Inspect and adjust parking brake as needed
11. Inspect: steering, suspension, exhaust, drive belts and hoses, under hood fluid levels, dist. cap & rotor, plugs and wires, TPS and A/C system
12. Check valves and see if they need to be adjusted
13. In-Cabin air filter - dark brown foam is being blown out of air vents when air is first turned on

There it is, its a long one...but I have a feeling that the previous owner didn't have any of this stuff done at 120k so I am just going to do it to be sure that this truck is takin care of to my standards

Gimme all the feedback you want guys! LAY IT ON ME!

Fink
Old 11-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Post Re: The rig is gettin the works!

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
Gimme all the feedback you want guys! LAY IT ON ME!
Ok, here's what I think.

6. Change windshield washer fluid
I've never heard of anyone doing this but I guess it would be done if it was really dirty. It would be really easy to do this. Just disconnect the hose at the bottom of the tank, stick the garden hose into the top of the tank, and watch it all run out.

7. Check tire tread depth/wear
Please tell me you can do this on your own.

12. Check valves and see if they need to be adjusted
Since you are going to the dealership, they are going to say this has to be done. So you can count on that expense. I personally wouldn't bother with it unless your valves are really noisy. There will always be some noise because that's the nature of the 3.slow.

3. Clean/Service Fuel Injectors
I wouldn't have them do this unless they have the Motorvac. I had the Motorvac done of Friday and the 4runner definitely runs better/smoother/quieter. I haven't driven it much to see if the hesitation is gone yet. If the dealership doesn't have a Motorvac, all they will do is charge you $100 to hook a $25 can of stuff up and let the 4runner run on it for 5 minutes (which I have also had done and is nothing compared to the Motorvac). You will be much better off spending the $100 on the Motorvac.

Where is the timing belt?! If you think the previous owner neglected the maintenance, then most likely it hasn't been done. You definitely need to get it done because if you don't you will be left stranded when (not if) it breaks.

Also, I bet they will say that the idler arm needs to be replaced. That was the only thing that they found wrong with mine when it had 113K miles and no offroading. Don't buy a new one, just rebuild it. It costs like $12 to do and 4x4wire has a write-up with part numbers. Also, it isn't imperative that you have it done immediately either. You can drive with it bad.

Alright, those are my thoughts on your list. If you've got anymore questions, you know how to get ahold of me.

Good Luck

Old 11-10-2003, 06:45 AM

How much did all this maintenance run you for??
Old 11-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Great attitude! Your truck will live longer than most. Nice to know your priorities put the good stuff before the mods and bling. How much was it? Gotta be a hit if done at the dealer...
Old 11-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DUDE check the brake master cylinder!! that thing will run you an arm if it brakes and make sure that parking brake is adjusted right. cause it will jack up yoru entire vehicle if done incorrectly, trust me i know otherwise, sounds good! ~KyLe
Old 11-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

I have heard that if the windshield washer fluid has not been changed that it may have the potential to freeze...I will probably take that off the list.

They will check the tire tread depth for free anyway but I will ask them to make sure they're not gonna charge me extra.

I will also check and see what kind of system they use to clean the injectors...if the dealer doesn't have the Motorvac system then I highly doubt any other place around here will. I mean its Arkansas!:hillbilly: LoL. But they only charge $75 bucks to get em cleaned their way versus $100. They said they used pressurized air to clean them, what does the MotorVac do and is there anyway I can find out where the closest one is to me?

If they don't have it I will check around and if nobody else has it then I will just go ahead and have them clean it with what they have since that will be as good as I can find around here.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it comin!

Fink

EDIT: Timing belt was replaced ~4.5 months ago

Last edited by Fink; 11-10-2003 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:38 AM
CTB

The Motorvac works by running your rig on a fuel/cleaning solution mixture for a certain period of time. I believe it hooks into the fuel rail and doesn't use any of the gas in your gas tank (I'm not sure if they temporarily disconnect the fuel pump or what).
Old 11-10-2003, 01:05 PM
DSP

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I have heard that if the windshield washer fluid has not been changed that it may have the potential to freeze...I will probably take that off the list.

They will check the tire tread depth for free anyway but I will ask them to make sure they're not gonna charge me extra.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it comin!

Fink:

The windsheild fluid freezing is caused by a lack of anti-freeze in your fluid...not from fluid going bad, that is why you just don't add water when it is empty.

Rain-X makes a new fluid that isn't to expensive that not only doesn't freeze, it also is a deicer which is handy to have on cold days you don't feel like scraping. It is yellow in color unlike the traditional blue.

When you are at the dealership, you should pay attention to the work they do, have them show you what to look for in tire wear. Better yet do this at a tire store and have them show you, new vs. worn tread so you can see the difference. Then have those bad boys rotated every 5,000 miles so you avoid early and uneven tread wear. Then next time you will be able to spot uneven tread life before it becomes a $500 new tire fix.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

If you are correct in what you said CTB then my dealership does have the MotorVac system. He said they disconnect the fuel pump, hook something else up that comes in a kit and they let it run until the engine dies. He said that it usually improves gas mileage up to 8 MPG!! Especially on vehicles over 100k miles...THATS ME!!

Anyway, I gave the dealer the list of things minus the things stuff that I didn't think was necessary. He said there is no reason for me to get a valve adjustment...and I did too when I saw the price tag (500 BUCKS!!!). He said they usually reccommend valve adjustments at around 200k+ and only to people that are having severe problems that can be possitively linked with the valves.

Anyway, he said that they will put in about 40-45 minutes tonight and then rest of it tomorrow and they said it should be done tomorrow by close (5:30-6:00pm)

I can't wait to get it back and see how it performs.

I really appreciate all the feedback that you guys have given me...

Fink
Old 11-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Well...got her back from the dealer today. And lets just say this thing is running like a champ...but my wallet is going to attack me in my sleep.

570 bucks later...

Cleaned Injectors
All new fluids
Complete Inspection
No more cold start problem - $150 in labor/diagnosis charges
New PCV valve
Chassis is lubed
Rear brakes are cleaned and adjusted

And overall the truck is running REALLY well now...

I can't wait to see how well it starts in cold weather!! Its going to be 33 out tomorrow morning so that will be a very good test!

Thanks for all your input guys.

Fink
Old 11-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like a lot of good work done. don't forget to check the headlight fluid tho
Old 11-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

LoL

Fink
Old 11-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by calrockx
sounds like a lot of good work done. don't forget to check the headlight fluid tho
Wait... what?
I haven't changed this on mine yet, have I?
Is this a part of the normal 15K service? How about the 30K service?
:pat:

Old 11-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Wait... what?
I haven't changed this on mine yet, have I?
Is this a part of the normal 15K service? How about the 30K service?
:pat:
:
You can get this stuff from me. Just paypal the money to me and I'll send it out overnight to you.:pig:
Old 11-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

i should put an add in the paper for headlight fluid changes for only $19.95!!! lol i wounder how much i could mke?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:23 PM

hey, let us know how it helps the gas milage!!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

I am going to go fill up tonight so that I can start on a full tank and then figure it out from there. I am hoping that it will atleast go up SOME...if not I am going to be extremely

I'll let you know!

See what the dealer says about the headlight fluid.

Fink
Old 11-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by calrockx
Also don't forget to check the chrome kunibler pins, change the air in the tires, rotate the headlights and check the loose nut behind the steering wheel...
Old 11-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Banned

Um, how about you invest in some tools and get your hands dirty. You are just askin for , without lube, goin to the dealer w/ that list I admire your attitude on getting it done, but "your" about to get done in the . " Hi stealership, I have a bunch of money I need to get rid of... can you help???"
Old 11-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

I would rather get it done right the first time then have me mess with stuff that I don't know how to do and then have to take it to the dealer, have them fix what I screwed up AND do it all over again.

Yes, some of that stuff I could do...but the things that I would be able to do they could do really quick and they would probably do it for cheap.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

Fink

Quick Reply: The rig is gettin the works!