Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Riddle me this...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riddle me this...

This past weekend I did the following maintenance items on my 2002 Toyota 4Runner with 93k miles on it:

1) Oil change (now M1 EP)
2) Lubed all zerks on driveshaft
3) PCV valve and grommet
4) Air filter (stock)
5) Rotated tires (stock size, Michelin Cross Terrain in very good condition) front to back.

I've owned the vehicle since mid-December. Over the last couple of months a shaking in the brakes developed. Seemed worse on some road surfaces than others. In some cases it was quite bad. Made me think I had warped rotors.

Well, after my little maintenance job, this shaking is gone. On the surfaces that I previously experienced significant shaking, there is some pulsing, but very minor and probably due to the road surface itself. The shaking always seemed worse when braking going downhill on an asphalt surface.

Any insight on this? I'm thinking it could be due to lubing the slip yokes. The tires are virtually the same front to back. Just curious. And I wonder if this might help some people with their own braking issues.

MadCityRich
2002 4Runner Ltd.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:45 AM

driveshaft vibration fixed by lube (my only thought, search to find other threads about dry driveshaft’s and the fun they can have)? you may want to make your subject heading more specific or descriptive to get responses from more tech minded people unlike myself.

Last edited by sswearin1; 04-03-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:16 AM

i was gonna say dry u joints in the driveshaft can cause a minor vibration... you ever get a THUMP when your brake or take off at a stop light??
Old 04-03-2007, 10:26 AM

I get the thump when I come to a stop pretty quickly, and then let off of the brake. Do you think lubing the u joints in the driveshaft would get rid of this?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Location: Ocean Beach, CA Five square miles surrounded by reality.

its because you rotated your tires.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

i noticed a difference in mine when i rotated the tires. The shaking stopped
Old 04-03-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
i was gonna say dry u joints in the driveshaft can cause a minor vibration... you ever get a THUMP when your brake or take off at a stop light??
^ I get mine lubed everytime I get an oil change and everytime it the thump comes back within a day, why would that be?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:22 PM

I also sometimes get a thump when I take off at a stop light. What does that mean?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:13 PM

I don't get a thump when braking or taking off. The driveline actually looked reasonably well lubed. My first oil change came from the dealership and they lubed the driveline at that time. The yokes did seem to take a bit more grease than I expected, though.

And it looks like the shimmy shake shake is back. I had a good 24 hours of beautiful braking with no shaking. It's still not as bad as it was. It's worst when slowing down from a high speed, with the brakes lightly applied. I almost wonder if it could be suspension related and that the act of jacking up each wheel reset some worn suspension component. It's the original suspension at this point, so it could be getting worn.

Doesn't matter. I'm planning on Tundra brakes, anyway. If that doesn't solve it, I guess I'll just have to get a SS suspension kit to see if that fixes the shimmy. If that doesn't do it, maybe 285s will help. That's the story the wife gets, anyway.

Thanks for the insight.

MadCityRich
2002 4Runner Ltd.
stock as stock gets
Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Excellent thought process you have going there.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:07 AM

THUMP--- one mechanic told me it was in your slip yoke part of the drive shaft (the long part that slides in and out as you go over bumps and etc) that it will do it if its OVER greased or UNDER greased... if you just had it greased and it thumps give it time it should go away.. if its been too long since you have then you need to pump a few pumps in there... as long as you have grease in there you are fine.. the main ones you want to hit every oil change are the U-jointed ones. they take the most abuse
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 AM

how do you know if you need new shocks??? i have almost 84k miles on mine and it seems fine.. i get a little shake going down the highway but damn its a truck not a BMW...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Ooh good discussion here - I think the fine art of vehicle greasing is not discussed enough. (Get yer minds outta the gutter all )
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

You're a real pot-stirrer, Molly. If Mr. Garrison didn't revive this thread, that sure as hell did
Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, when searching before posting i actually found this thread that was close to my question! (what an incredicable thing to find something...)

I also get this thump when i brake. I am about to do a LOT of work on my 4runner and i was thinking it coud be a lubing issue. So my question is what all can/should you lube/grease on 4runners. and how/with what grease?

I am about to embark on a 1500 mile trip towing a trailer in a few weeks so i want to make sure everything is in tip top shape and i won't have any problems. Oh yeah, I got the truck about a month ago so i have no idea what has been done to it other than the timing belt that i had done and what i am about to do.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Ok Here is an FAQ I started working on - and it is not done and is incomplete but it might help. Be nice....

When is the last time you checked your fluids? See this Fluids Checklist and maintenance schedule to get a good idea of where you are at. Also check this: Toyota 30K service for 4x4. See the more defined sections below for more detailed information.

Oil:
How to change your engine oil.

Diff Oil/ Gear Oil:
How gears work
How to change your Toyota Diff Oil
  • Toyota specifies 75-90W for front diff and xfer case and straight 90W for the rear diff. Some say to put 75-90W in all three. (Dealerships use 90w all around)
  • Warm vs Cold climate - what weight to use?
  • Gear oil viscosity is rated different than motor oil viscosity. 80w90gear may seem a long way from 5w30motor, but it's not. http://www.maximausa.com/technical/l...s/spring98.pdf
  • If your truck has a limited slip differential you may want to use a friction modifier or get the oil that has additives to not need it.
  • Recommended brands for heavy off road use: Amsoil Severe Gear orRedline http:www.summitracing.com(Only available by order).
    Originally Posted by Redline Website
    A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90.
  • Jalaber's: How To Synthetic Oil Changover for AT's

Transmission Fluid:
How to change your transmission fluid.
  • Automatic Transmission Fluid is similar to engine oil - it is only dyed red so you can tell it from engine oil (for diagnostic reasons).
  • https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111446

Power steering Fluid:

Grease:
  • Functions of Grease
  • Why Does Grease Turn Milky?
  • Grease Compatibility Chart Be careful mixing greases. Two different types can adversely affect the needed properties. For example You don't want to use any other grease other than CV grease on a CV (it's a NLGI #2 Li complex + 3-5% moly EP grease)
  • Suggested Grease For Driveshaft: Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease, NLGI #2, GC/LB (GHD)Extreme-pressure, moly-fortified for the Slide Yoke and the Double Cardan Joint
  • Make sure the car is off the ground when greasing. Leave no load on components. Things to check include: Ball joints, Tie rod ends, U-joints, Driveline, Shackles.
  • The Moly Debate
  • How to grease wheel bearings: (Where is that how to link when I need it)
  • Grease for leaf spring bushings? Super grease! You can find it at summit racing. Its a Teflon based lubricant designed for urethane bushings.
  • Greasing CV's

The Dirt on Zerks!

Bearing grease:

Other fluids:
Engine Coolant:
Info on your engine coolant, and How To Flush Your Radiator

Clutch Lubricant:
  • Lithium grease
  • Teflon Lube
  • Silicone Lubricant Spray

Break Fluid/Lubricants
How to Break Bleed ala 4x4Wire

Research links I am using:
CV Boot https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/cv-axel-boot-repair-replace-questions-62520/
http://www.4crawler.com/4Runner.shtml
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...30k/index.html
Old 05-16-2007, 06:40 AM

I also get this thump when i brake. I am about to do a LOT of work on my 4runner and i was thinking it coud be a lubing issue. So my question is what all can/should you lube/grease on 4runners. and how/with what grease?
I used to get this thump. Sometimes when coming to a stop, sometimes when letting off the brakes from a stop. Lubing the driveline grease zerks helped but didn't cure it. However, I replaced by steering rack bushings with poly bushings last weekend and it appears that the thumping has disappeared.

I'll see how it goes after a week or two, but it might be worth at least checking to see the condition of your steering rack bushings. Get a helper to turn the steering wheel while the truck is running. See if there is much shifting in the driver's side bushing. Mine shifted 1/4 to a 1/2 inch.

MadCityRich
Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 AM

I added a helper spring under my rear leafs and it stopped the axle wrap. That is where you are getting the noise from. The springs will load up and snap back and that is the thump. The extra strength of the extra spring stopped it completely.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Shoretaco
I added a helper spring under my rear leafs and it stopped the axle wrap. That is where you are getting the noise from. The springs will load up and snap back and that is the thump. The extra strength of the extra spring stopped it completely.
That seems odd as i don't have any extra weight in the truck. Why wouldtoyota design a truck that did that stock? Or is it because they stock spring/shocks are worn out?

BTW Molly: Great FAQ write up so far!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 AM

Just works is all I can tell you. I did a search when I got my truck with 55k on it and it thumped alot at start and stops. I bought a set of helpers and no more noise. I am going on 76 k miles now.

Quick Reply: Riddle me this...