Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rhino Lining a 4runner???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhino Lining a 4runner???

I was wondering if anyone has seen a 1st Gen with Rhino Lining, or anykind of spray-on bedliner! I am thinking about it for my rig after I buy my softtop (which still has yet to be purchased :cry: ) Would it require taking off the side panels??? Anyone have info?

Last edited by StoryR; 07-15-2003 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

We used to Rhino Line all types of vehicles inside and out. What do you want to know?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Well I dunno about Story...but I would like to have the chrome part of my rig Rhino Lined, and then maybe the back cargo area too. I wonder how much that would cost?

I am mostly interested in Rhino Lining the areas around the tires, help save my paint job...any ideas on how much $$$$$$$ that might be?? Thx.!

Sorry about taking over this thread, but I was just about to post a thread about this same thing on here so I might as well go ahead and ask my question.

Thx,
Old 07-16-2003, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
We used to Rhino Line all types of vehicles inside and out. What do you want to know?
Whaddya mean "inside"??
Old 07-16-2003, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

If you do a search, you will find lots of info...but since I am here, I will try to answer.

1st of all, if you want to spray on chrome, it will need to be primed. Accept nothing less, because it will peel otherwise. As for the fenders and/or rocker panels the main part of the cost is the prep work, including the masking off of the vehicle. Some guys would bring us vehicles that were already prepped, and that saved money, but not much.

For fender trim and rocker panels sprayed 1/8" thick with all the prep work done by the shop, you are looking at $300 to $500 depending on the shop. Possibly more. But, with the economy the way it is, you should be able to strike a deal.

I would go to a reputable Rhino dealer that has been around for >2 years. Make sure they use wiretrim tape.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
Whaddya mean "inside"??
We would spray the "tub" then install all the seats, shifter(s), and other accessories. It was a pain, but pretty cool. We mostly did that to hard core jeeps and other trucks. Rarely did we do the inside of a Toyota.

Obviously the owner didnt want carpet. Many times it was for guys that were restoring older vehicles.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:18 AM

Rhino lining is nice, but unless your money grows on trees its a ripoff if you ask me...my buddy had is Z71 rino lined. He had the bed done over the rails, and the bottom of the truck from the molding down. It was over 900 dollars. That was even supposed to be a sale. Heres what I did. Duplicolor makes a spray or roll on bedliner(the spray on and the rollon is the same stuff). I wanted to spray mine. They make a gun you can buy that will work with their stuff. I have less than a 100 bucks in mine. No its not quite rhinoliner but who cares. I plan on doing the bottom of the truck sometime soon.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
We would spray the "tub" then install all the seats, shifter(s), and other accessories. It was a pain, but pretty cool. We mostly did that to hard core jeeps and other trucks. Rarely did we do the inside of a Toyota.

Obviously the owner didnt want carpet. Many times it was for guys that were restoring older vehicles.
OK, that makes sense. For some reason I had a visions of a soccer mom wanting to stain proof the cargo area of her Sequoia or something.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by cruizin01
No its not quite rhinoliner but who cares. I plan on doing the bottom of the truck sometime soon.
I would have customers ask me the same thing; Why shouldnt I just do my own?

I would always tell them the same thing: Because when it starts peeling off, it will cost you that much more to have it all completely removed.

I have stripped one too many cheap liners from truck beds, and it sucks. Its an all day ordeal.

$900 bucks is steep. But I must ask, if that was such a bad deal, why did your friend do it?
Old 07-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Banned

Question

why pay 900.00 bucks to have it done! A buddy of mine did his own lining in a first gen and it turned out great He tackled it like you would a paint job... very meticulous. I will try and get some pics of it and post them here.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

:pat:
Old 07-16-2003, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

What 96 is sayin is that it may LOOK cool now, but after you throw a couple heavy cinder blocks, or bricks or lumber on it...it will start to peel. Thats what happened to my Dad, he has a nice 2003 SIlverado 2500HD and he did his own "Cheap Liner" and after about a week of building a foundation for a buddy of his, he had to go in and spend 1,200 bucks to get the stupid thing removed and have the bed and rails repainted because of the stuff that they put it in the cheap stuff to make it stick.

You could spend $900 bucks now and NEVER have to do ANYTHING to the bed of your P/U or the fenders of your Runners...or you can spend around 100-200 bucks now and then spend another 1200 on getting the thing removed (that is JUST to get it removed, not even putting a new liner coat in!)

It sounds like I'm going to have to wait to get my Runner done...but atleast I am waiting for now...instead of doing an impulse buy and getting a cheap liner.

Last edited by Fink; 07-16-2003 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Very well said!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:21 AM

Everyone here has a good point. I didn't mean to intend that mine is near the quality of rhino. But my truck is not a work truck and I dont spend all day out of the back of my truck so for the little bit of use that is does see it gets the job done. So I guess you just have to evaluate how much its going to get used. and dicide what best fits you. Oh and my buddy payed the 900 dollars becuase hes a tight azz and saves all his money and he didn't want to do any work himself.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

I was just trying to make my and 96's point clearer to people.

What weird is that it's only going to cost me $450 (and I use the word ONLY very loosely), to get the back of my '98 Silverado with an 8 foot bed...rails included. I wonder why it's so much cheaper here??!?!

But even that is way too much to spend for now...I have a drop-in bedliner that WORKS...but isn't that great looking given the fact that it bows on hot days..
Old 07-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

The $900 included the rocker panels and bed over the rail if I read his post correctly. So, its really not that bad of a price if the shop had to do all the prep work.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:09 AM

Yeah it is over the rail and the rockers. they supposedly replaced one of the cab corners on the extended cab part too. whether they did or not I dont know. He thought it was a "good deal" since he was going to have to have the cab corner replaced anyway. It would have prolly cost close to that much to just get that done.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

oops...I guess it would help to read before posting.

Is $450 a good price for an 8 foot bed with rails?
Old 07-16-2003, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

I used a spray-on for my sliders thinking that it would come out cool. And it did until I accidentally dropped something on them before I painted the other one. The paint chipped TOO easily and now I have to remove the whole stinking thing :pat:

Sanding sucks.

<96> is right, he's got the experience - I do too, unfortunately
Old 07-16-2003, 10:45 AM

Wow, lots of replies! Well 96, what I am looking to do is replace the rear seats of my 1st Gen with the nice SR5 seats with the headrests...you know, make it look nicer. Then I was thinking about keeping the seats up for good, and having the rest of the "bed" so to speak, Rhino Lined. the tailgate, the floor of the rear, and the sides. My question would be price, and how easialy is this done? would it require removing the side panels and lining the metal itself, or could the lining just cover what is there now?

Quick Reply: Rhino Lining a 4runner???