Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rhino Liner on rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhino Liner on rear bumper

I was planning on getting a price on painting my rear chrome bumper.
Then I thought of a rhino liner and how it would resist scratches from abrasion much better.
When I checked out this site of a local Rhino Liner dealer , I noticed that the home page has a picture of a Ford Ranger with Rhino liner in the bed as well as on the rear bumper and rocker panels. I know these liners are sprayed on and they must adhere to paint so why not the chrome on the bumper? I was expecting black for color, which is perfect, but then I noticed they advertised available in any color. Very interesting. This might be the way to go. Then I could match up a pair of sliders to my rear bumper.

Has anyone else researched this possibility?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Banned

I haven't researched it but I have seen an entire Ford Bronco done in red Rhino liner or some similar coating. It's damn near impossible to scratch and it looks pretty good untill you get within 10 feet of the truck. Then it looks more like severe acne than it does paint.

On a scale of 1-10 for toughness i'd give it a 9. On a scale of 1-10 for prettiness i'd give it a 4.

For bumpers or other surfaces that need to be used for footing i'd give it a 10.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:19 PM

i have a rhino liner. i've had it a couple months, it seems TOUGH!!! it would be sweet to put it on your bumpers and sliders!

not your whole truck though. :confused: crazy ford people..
Old 02-20-2003, 08:52 PM

Did my truck...

TStango,

I have the rockers and Warn fender flares on my '94 coated with a "Rhino" type coating...I think it's a division of DuPont product. It's been on my truck for 2+ years now and holds up nicely to abuse. The bumper and grill, previously stock chrome finish, I lightly sanded down and sprayed with Duplicolor "bedliner"...thin, consistant coats. That is holding up just okay in comparison. I think if I sanded down the bumper more, gotten off a little more of the chrome, it would have held up better. The chrome is showing through in spots where rocks kicked up and chipped the Duplicolor off.

Now, as far as price...a local shop did my rockers and flares, including painting my cap (was faded light blue) for $600.00. Not too bad I think.

So there you have it....good luck with yours, but don't pay a fortune for Rhino. You're only paying for the name.

Greg
My Website
Old 02-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you look at the pics I have here I shot out at Badland Bumpers the guy who made my sliderz, you will see some pics of Jeff's wife's front bumper, rear bumper, and her sliderz on the ground before installation that have been Rynolined.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/badland_bumpers/

Here's a few of them.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/badland_b...2/DSC00046.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/badland_b...2/DSC00066.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/badland_b...2/DSC00069.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/badland_b...2/DSC00054.jpg

One in the middle here.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/badland_bumpers/b.jpg
Old 02-21-2003, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

Greg,
Nice truck. I think one of the main reasons why it looks so good is that there is no chrome on it. Blacked out grille and bumpers just look badass. Of course that lift and those tires go nicely with the badass theme.

I want to also de-chrome my grill and eventually upgrade the front bumper to a TJM 15. One thing at a time a guess.

I'm glad to see that others have done this.

Corey, thanks for posting those pics!
Old 02-21-2003, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

Rhino info

I worked at Rhino Linings of Kirkland for almost 2 years, let me know if there is anything you need to know about the product.

Its the toughest, most flexible liner around. Hands down.

We sprayed everything from the bottom of lawn mowers to Tacoma rocker panels.

Just let me know if you need any info!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

I just called that Rhino Liner dealer and they gave me a rough estimate of $125. He wants to see the bumper though. I'll have to bring the 4Runner to work with me next week and maybe get an exact figure.

I'm thinking it would be really expensive to color match my bumper with traditional metalic paint and it would be easily damaged and scratched. Besides, I don't want to put that much money into a flimsy piece of crap bumper. Black paint would be less money but again, it won't be able to take a beating.

This Rhino Liner, on the other hand, would actually make that crappy bumper a bit more resistive to damage. This just may be a functional mod that isn't purely cosmetic:eek:

I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to sandblast the chrome. I forgot to ask him. If so, I can do it myself since I have access to a sandblaster. The only problem would be trying to fit the bumper into the machine.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

A chrome bumper will need to be blasted and primed. The Rhino will stick to the chrome, but will peel easily, hence the reason for the primer.

You might be getting into expensive territory with all this blasting and priming, and then the Rhino.

But, its the right way to do it.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:41 AM
CTB

Hey <96 Runner>,

Since you have experience with the Rhino Lining, about how much do you think it would cost to have the bottom quarter panels of my 4Runner done (in green like my rig)? I would probably just have it applied to the lower few inches of the rock panel/doors. I'm just looking for a rough ballpark figure. Thanks for the info-
Old 02-24-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

I just went to the Rhino liner installer and looked at the product. I don't think it would look too appealing on that bumper. Acne was a good word to describe it. It had a "rubbery" look to it. I think inexpensive flat black paint would be a better solution.

.....Or I do what is right, and leave the effin thing the way it is!!!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CTB
Hey <96 Runner>,

Since you have experience with the Rhino Lining, about how much do you think it would cost to have the bottom quarter panels of my 4Runner done (in green like my rig)? I would probably just have it applied to the lower few inches of the rock panel/doors. I'm just looking for a rough ballpark figure. Thanks for the info-
If I remember right, we did rocker panels for around $300 in black. Custom colors run additional because its time consuming to change the gun and mixture around.

I would say $400 out the door. Keep in mind, these dealers are pretty flexible on prices (you can bargain with them a bit, especially with cash, but then you lose the ability to fight payment should something happen)
Old 02-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TStango
I just went to the Rhino liner installer and looked at the product. I don't think it would look too appealing on that bumper. Acne was a good word to describe it. It had a "rubbery" look to it. I think inexpensive flat black paint would be a better solution.

.....Or I do what is right, and leave the effin thing the way it is!!!!!
Just so you know, the texture can be adjusted. The sample you looked at was probably geared toward truck beds (large texture is better for grip)

I personally like the fine texture, it looks cleaner.

But, you might be right, flat black paint is a cost effective way to go.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:00 AM
CTB

Thanks for the info <96 Runner>.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:27 PM

i went wheeling this past weekend and came home with some NICE CUSTOMIZED california pinstripes! ugh! i decided, forget a paint job. imma leave the scratches. and when i can, i'll rhino line or linex my whole body! oR!!!! i saw this link, it seems cool.

DURABACK!
Old 02-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Keep in mind, Rhino will add about 50 - 75lbs to the BED of a truck. So, you can do the math and add up the weight on the entire thing. At least 200 to 300 lbs depending on the thickness. Yikes.

There are lots of trucks that have been Rhino'd from head to toe!

Crazy huh?
Old 02-24-2003, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI

Rattlecan Bedliner has been so-so for my uses. I stripped and repainted all of my Smittybilt stuff cause it was r-u-s-t-y! Well, it looked good for a couple of months, but the PA winter with the corrosive tonic the road crew uses has not been kind to the finish. The finish and texture is still on the bars, but there is a light surface rust appearing in the lower areas between the texture particles. I'll probably get by with touch up when the weather breaks, but I thought it would be a bit more durable. I did 3 coats of this stuff when I redid them. Don't get me wrong, it looks 100% better than it did, I guess I was hoping for a little more "maintenance free" finish.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

That's exactly the reason we would steer people away from the rattle can and paint on liners. You just can beat the durability of Rhino.

I didnt even like my job, so I dont really have a reason to talk good about it. But, it is a good product, just spendy.

(I am lucky I didnt go braindead from all the Acetone I inhaled at that place) :confused:
Old 02-24-2003, 01:10 PM

so the Durabak stuff doesnt work well?
Old 02-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

All that spray and paint on stuff is temporary. And, its a real pain to get off when you finally want to do it the right way. I remember stripping Line-X liners out of trucks to make room for the Rhino. It was an all day project, and loads of fun.

Not to rip on Line-X, but they arent very good liners.

Quick Reply: Rhino Liner on rear bumper