Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rhino 120

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rhino 120

What do you guys think of this little unit. Has anybody played/own one? Ive read quite a few reviews of it and think i'm going to order one. I'm on the market for a gps and at first was looking into the PalmVx add-on but heard the palm is just too slow for the maps and all the software that comes with the gps units suck so I'd have to buy new software also. Then I was looking around on ebay and found this neat little unit. I figured, how awesome would that be for the truck while wheel'n. I already have a cb and last meet we ended up using the FRS radios because thats what most people had anyway. Then there is the cool little add on of finding people that have the same unit. I have read multiple people saying that they get sat signal in their living rooms! I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with this unit, just figured if I would see if anybody here has used it. Also... if anybody is interested in them Amazon.com has then new for $208. They have a cigirette lighter adapter for it also so then I wouldn't be paying for batteries each trip. So yeah... who's gotten to play with one!??

Last edited by turboale; 05-02-2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by turboale
What do you guys think of this little unit. Has anybody played/own one? Ive read quite a few reviews of it and think i'm going to order one. I'm on the market for a gps and at first was looking into the PalmVx add-on but heard the palm is just too slow for the maps and all the software that comes with the gps units suck so I'd have to buy new software also. Then I was looking around on ebay and found this neat little unit. I figured, how awesome would that be for the truck while wheel'n. I already have a cb and last meet we ended up using the FRS radios because thats what most people had anyway. Then there is the cool little add on of finding people that have the same unit. I have read multiple people saying that they get sat signal in their living rooms! I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with this unit, just figured if I would see if anybody here has used it. Also... if anybody is interested in them Amazon.com has then new for $208. They have a cigirette lighter adapter for it also so then I wouldn't be paying for batteries each trip. So yeah... who's gotten to play with one!??

I, and a friend got a set last fall for hunting. We were both very dissapointed in them. Here is what we found. The GPS unit worked very well, but you have to buy the Garmin Topo software if you want to load any more specific maps in the unit. They have it set up to prevent compatability with other topo maping software. The GPS function to transmit location to other Rino users works only with the FRS channel, not the GMRS, so range is limited. The function screens can be somewhat confusing to work with. But the most annoying problem was the extremely lousy FRS radio performance. We were unable to get anywhere near the 2 mile range they advertise. And the FRS radio performance while in a vehicle was absolutely terrible. Quite often we were within 300 feet of each other, in plain sight on a straight road and had trouble with reception. The GMRS radio was better, but it is a huge PITA to keep switching back between channels to use both the GPS and radio functions. We have used Motorola FRS radios (Talkabout +s) for years, and they have Way Better FRS radio performance. If Motorola ever comes out with a comparable GPS/Radio unit, I will be selling the Rino and getting it.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:51 PM

Bump...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 PM

I used to have two of them.. I sold them both becuase I wasn't very impressed with them. the gps part of it isn't as good as say, a garmin etrex vista. The walkie talkie didn't impress me either (my cobras work better - I've used them at a range of 10miles on a flat-unobstructed surface believe it or not). However, being able to see where the other person is, is pretty cool. But like was mentioned above, in order to get anything out of the gps, you have to buy the software... And it aint cheap. I would pass.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 05-04-2004 at 08:09 PM.