Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Resolution for missing 22RE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resolution for missing 22RE?

My 22RE misses around the 2000 - 3500 rpm range. All the obvious has been done;plugs,wires, cap, rotor, fuel injector cleaner, checked for vacum leaks...I see a ton of these complaints, but no resolutions ...Anybody solve this mystery?!

Thanks,

Will
Old 06-28-2005, 08:50 PM

thats about the right RPM range for the EGR to operate. Try pulling the actuator line off the EGR valve and pluging it so the EGR cannot operate temporarly.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:01 AM

THanks, Ganiod. I will give it a try and report back! Last thing I want to do is spend money on parts that I do not need.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:02 AM

I disconnected the EGR last night...It did not cure the miss.

I also tried disconnecting the plug wires, one at a time, and run the engine on three cylinders...The miss was still there, so I dont think it is one cylinder that is affected, something is randomly affecting each cylinder.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 PM

You can tell me that nobody has solved this problem?!

I have spent weeks on the internet researching a miss that I have in between 2000 - 3000rpm. I have read hunders of complaints with the same exact symptoms as I have, but no fix?

I have the dealers stumpped also! Dont tell me that I need to take my 1985 Celica GTS convertible to the junk yard?! It has come to that point though...The car is in awsome condition cosmetically and mechanically, excpet for the miss in a certain rev range that makes the car hard to drive.

I wouldnt feel right dumoing it and walking away from it, but....
Old 07-22-2005, 12:08 PM

I found that if I removed the Vacuum Modulator, the Celica ran perfect. Next step is to purchase a new Vacuum Modulator and see if that fixes teh missing problem!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 633 Likes on 510 Posts
While you've got teh EGR system apart, check to see if the pipes or where it goes into (or g'zinta, as we say in the electronics biz ) the throttle body may be clogged or choked off with carbon goo. It's a common problem with these. I just replaced the head on the 4Runner, and the throttle body as well as the EGR pipes were gunked up pretty good. A good gun cleaning brush will do a world of good when coupled with some GumOut or other solvent.

Just a thought
Old 07-24-2005, 11:20 AM

Well, I swapped out the modulator and made no difference what so ever. The EGR checked out fine with a vacuum test.

Why will it run perfect with out the modulater and run like crap with it?

I've cleaned the throttle body, but no improvement.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Did you clean the whole throttle body? pull it off and remove all of the barb fittings that thread into it and clean every last bit of carbon off......making sure to blow carb cleaner through each and every port. This worked wonders on my 22re........after chasing a similar problem to yours for a long time.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:58 PM

It doesn't take a whole lot of carbon gunk to really screw things up. Even a little flake in the wrong place can make a mess of things. Get a gun cleaning kit and clean those EGR pipesreally well, incuding the channel in the throttle body the EGR feeds into. There may be nothing wrong with the modulator, per se, but when it permits the EGR system to function, it is screwing something. Did you try just pulling the vac lines to the EGR system and plugging them? That way all the parts are still there, but hte EGR never works. Might help...
Old 07-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try unplugging your o2 sensor and see if it still does this, I'm having a similar problem with my 22re, and when i unplug the o2 sensor it goes away
Old 07-25-2005, 04:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the same problem. I have tested every sensor....twice (AFM, TPS, signal generator, CTS, BVSV, Air valve, O2, and others I can't remember now) both with the motor hot and cold, everything was within spec. Removed every singe vacuum hose and made sure each one held vacuum, and they did. I completely bypassed the EGR system from the plenum as well as the vacuum source, no change. Tested the coil and ignitor, replaced plugs (ngk) wires (ngk) dist cap and rotor, no change. Adjusted the valves, no change but it runs a little smoother and quieter. Cleaned throttle body, replaced the TPS and adjusted it, no change. Checked timing, right on spec. Tested fuel regulator and damper, working properly. I decided to do a compression check and I noticed that #3 spark plug was white-ish looking. I had 163 psi on all cylinders (not bad for almost 200,000 mi) so that narrows it down to one last thing.....plugged injector on #3. I think this is the problem and I'm sure the rest of the injectors probably don't have the best spray pattern after 21 years and 200,000 miles. I'm going to pull all 4 of them and mail them to Cruzin Performance to get cleaned. I will post a reply when I receive them to see if it fixes the problem.

Pull all of your plugs and see what color they're. If any of them are white-ish looking, it's probably one or more of the injectors that are plugged up to a certain degree, causing a lean miss.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:19 AM

Something a lot of folks (including me!) don't think of. Thanks for giving us yet another idea!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:52 AM

85sr5yoty - Sounds like we are in the same boat! All plugs are burning evenly with a nice bronze color. My miss is not centered on a single cylinder...it will miss on any given cylinder.

I may have to bite the bullet and hand it over to the dealership along with the deed to my house!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:02 AM
Banned

have either of you tried some seafoam to clean out the carbon buildup and clean the injectors???
Old 07-25-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
have either of you tried some seafoam to clean out the carbon buildup and clean the injectors???

I second the recomendation. Do both the gas tank treatment to clean out the system, and then the intake treatment. Lot's of info and how to on the site just do a search for seafoam. It has cleared up alot of mystery problems for some.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Banned

hondas have a problem w/ a miss on the 4cyls in old accords. the problem is a buildup of carbon after the EGR in the intake. to clean them, you have to drill and tap some removable plugs and then pull them just to get access. my 90 accord has that miss. i did some serious seafoam treatments to the intake and now my miss is nearly gone. i still have a can, and i'm planning on doing some more over the weekend. so far since the first set of treatments, my mileage appears to be up about 15%, from ~230 miles on a half-tank to right at 270 miles on a half-tank. if that trend continues, then my mileage will jump from a steady 31 MPG for the last 5 tanks to right at 35 MPG for this tank.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1985gts
Well, I swapped out the modulator and made no difference what so ever. The EGR checked out fine with a vacuum test.

Why will it run perfect with out the modulater and run like crap with it?

I've cleaned the throttle body, but no improvement.

When you say modulator are you talking about the vacuum modulator for the EGR system?

My solution for the EGR stumble was to reduce the size of the outlet into the intake manifold coming from the EGR valve its self.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateFins

I second the recomendation. Do both the gas tank treatment to clean out the system, and then the intake treatment. Lot's of info and how to on the site just do a search for seafoam. It has cleared up alot of mystery problems for some.

Yeah, I've sucked an entire can of techron and an entire can of seafoam through the PCV. I gained 4 inches of vacuum, but it still didn't cure the miss. If I squirt a little carb cleaner thorugh a vacuum hose, the miss dissappears, so I know it's a lean miss. I still think it's one or more of the fuel injectors restricted or clogged.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:40 AM
Banned

when almost empty, put a can of seafoam in the gas tank and drive it around pretty hard for about ten minutes and then go fill up and run that tank thru and it will really clean the injectors well...

Quick Reply: Resolution for missing 22RE?