Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Request for 3.4L deck mod/elbow removal info

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request for 3.4L deck mod/elbow removal info

I've been reading past threads and the tech pages about the air box deck mod and the elbow removal and I've got a few questions for those of you that have performed either of these mods.

I'm thinking of removing the elbow from the airbox on my 04 taco as it seems it would be easy to reinstall the elbow when I have to take it to the stealership so's they won't be any the wiser. What I'm wondering is, how easy is it to reinstall the elbow? It looks like removing it is a snap if you leave the factory snorkel piece in the fender, however it sounds like threading the elbow back into the tube left in the fender would be a major pain in the a$$ if the elbow fills up the hole in the fender through which is the only easy way to reach the tube. Anyone know from experience if it's easy to put it back in? Also, if you left the snorkel piece in the fender, does it flop around a lot or come loose?

The other option would be to go with the deck plate mod. Does anyone know if the dealer would try and void your warranty over this? Anyone do it and have the dealer notice it? If the dealer didn't care I'd do it in a heartbeat, but my guess is they do....
Old 08-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Elbow mod: Yes, it is pretty easy to remove it. The problem is that you will end up breaking some of the clips that hold the fender liner on. So, be sure to order about 10 of those puppies from Toyota and you will be set. I broke 4 taking the liner off - but you will need more since you are thinking about removing and replacing the elbow a lot.

Deckplate mod: No, the dealer cannot void your warranty unless the modified part was directly responsible for the malfunction.

I would do the deckplate mod because it is so easily reversible. The elbow is a bit of a pain to remove and reinstall.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Another thing to consider is just removing the top off of the airbox. I prefer not to do this and have done the deckplate but there are others that insist that it is just as good despite the fact that the lid helps keep the filter in place.

Like I said, I don't prefer to do this but just another option to consider.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Another thing to consider is just removing the top off of the airbox. I prefer not to do this and have done the deckplate but there are others that insist that it is just as good despite the fact that the lid helps keep the filter in place.

Like I said, I don't prefer to do this but just another option to consider.
Use a C-clamp, a notched piece of wood, a notched piece of pipe, a piece of rubber hose, anything to keep pressure against the filter. I ran without a top for 2-3 weeks until I found a deckplate. I noticed no difference.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:45 PM

Removing the elbow is easy and it's easy to replace it if you do it right. I left the flange in the finder well with no altering except to place a piece of hardware cloth in it to keep the critters out. Also used a piece of window screen on the inside of the box and used some GOOP around the edges to hold it in place.
On my 01 Tacoma the elbow extends way into the box so you need to pull the box and all out. Cut the rivet that holds the elbow to the flange on the box. Then cut the elbow off just in front of the little nubs . With a little knife trimming you can get the eldow to slide over the box side and in the finder side by just a little force. Been doing it for a while now and have never broken any clips but then mine don't have any clips to break, Lol. I can just lay the elbow beside the box and it can't get out and it's always there. Mike
Old 09-01-2005, 08:56 AM

Elbow mod: Yes, it is pretty easy to remove it. The problem is that you will end up breaking some of the clips that hold the fender liner on.
Do you still end up breaking clips even if you leave the tube that the elbow connects to in the fender in place? The tech write-up made it seem as though removing the fender liner was just so you could reach the tube in the fender to pull it out. I was thinking of leaving it in there, but do you have to remove the fender liner anyway when you hook the elbow back up so you can reach inside an slide the elbow and tube together?

Deckplate mod: No, the dealer cannot void your warranty unless the modified part was directly responsible for the malfunction.
I was thinking the dealer might be able to at least try and blame lots of things on "changing the airflow", despite the fact that everyone seems to agree that it improves engine performance. There are plenty of performance mods that decrease engine life by adding strain on engine components not design for the increased loads. I hardly see how the deckplate mod could cause a problem, but it seems to me the dealer would use any excuse to weasel out of free service.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

The dealer can try anything they want. But when push comes to shove, you are protected legally, and that's all that matters.

If the dealer is your only concern, just do the deckplate mod. They won't say anything. You can just plug it before service anyway. Don't mess around with the elbow unless you want to do it right, which requires unbolting things.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by captainamerica
Do you still end up breaking clips even if you leave the tube that the elbow connects to in the fender in place? The tech write-up made it seem as though removing the fender liner was just so you could reach the tube in the fender to pull it out. I was thinking of leaving it in there, but do you have to remove the fender liner anyway when you hook the elbow back up so you can reach inside an slide the elbow and tube together?

I was thinking the dealer might be able to at least try and blame lots of things on "changing the airflow", despite the fact that everyone seems to agree that it improves engine performance. There are plenty of performance mods that decrease engine life by adding strain on engine components not design for the increased loads. I hardly see how the deckplate mod could cause a problem, but it seems to me the dealer would use any excuse to weasel out of free service.
On my 01 Tacoma there was no reason to remove the clips your talking about. Everything was done under the hood. Just unbolt the box and flange and you can remove the elbow and box with very little trouble and work on removing the elbow from the box on your bench. You just need to cut or break a rivet that holds it to the box and then cut off the part of the elbow that's in the box right in front of the little nubs. Mike
It may very well be totally different on other Toyotas. The only one have I have done is mine, Mike
Old 09-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Dealer shouldn't give you any problems unless something went wrong because of too much air in the system. I was up there the other day getting something looked at and a code pulled for me and one of the guys noticed it and asked me where to get all of the stuff. I wrote down the stuff he needed and gave him the link to the Tech Section. I wouldn't worry about them getting you on that.

-Fink
Old 09-01-2005, 11:50 AM

Sweet, thanks for all the feedback. My only hangup was with the dealer, but sounds like there's nothing to fear. It definitely seems like a better option than the elbow as you can easily close it up with a nice water-tight seal.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:15 PM

When you replace the elbow you are putting it back just the way it was. Either way works just as well but with the elbow mod there is no cutting the box and no buying the deck plate, in fact it cost you nothing but about 30 minutes of your time.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:25 AM

You just need to cut or break a rivet that holds it to the box and then cut off the part of the elbow that's in the box right in front of the little nubs.
You mentioned you have to cut a rivet that holds the elbow to the airbox, but I noticed the tech write-up for the elbow removal doesn't mention this. Maybe a little different setup on the Tacoma than 4Runner? Is there any issue with reinstalling the elbow once this rivet is cut? I'm assuming the rivet serves some purpose that will be lacking once you cut it...

Also, which part of the elbow needs to be cut off? The tech write-up made it sound like after a couple bolts are removed the elbow slides out of the airbox, sans cutting.

Is it clear which fuse is the EFI fuse?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
captain,

just do the deckplate mod and be done with it. i think youre overanalzying things here.

bob
Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
captain,

just do the deckplate mod and be done with it. i think youre overanalzying things here.

bob
.......ditto!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 AM

Bob -

I think you're right!

BUT in my defense:

Many of you might be wondering why I chose this mod over the famous "Deck Plate" mod...I wanted the benefits of the modification while not exposing what I did to the dealership. On that point, I have no idea how a dealership would view this mod in terms of voiding the warranty, but I wanted to err on the safe side so I did this
I did it because if I needed service at the dealership, they might b.s. me and say that removing the elbow "voided my warranty" or some b.s. like that...why take chances?
Quoted from "Air Elbow Removal" by Bob_98SR5 - guess I'm not the only one who overanalyzes things
Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by captainamerica
Bob -

I think you're right!

BUT in my defense:

Quoted from "Air Elbow Removal" by Bob_98SR5 - guess I'm not the only one who overanalyzes things
touche! yeah, ya got me. that article was one of the first ones that i wrote before i knew about the magnusson act. i should revise it, eh?

anyways, as others have said, you cannot have your warranty voided or warrantied service refused because of the air elbow or deckplate mod.

bob