Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replacing wood trim??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing wood trim??

I'm going to buy a 4runner next weekend (bout time...) but it has a lot of sun damamge on the wood trim around the inside. Its a 1997 and I was wondering if anyone knew how easy or hard it would be to find some replacement trim at a junkyard or some aftermarket stuff perhaps. I've tried finding some aftermarket stuff to get a rough idea of how much it would cost, but couldnt seem to find any. Thanks for your help
Old 03-17-2006, 08:16 PM

From what I've seen Jason Burtman has the best quality woodtrim replacement. Check out Burtmanindustries.com. He has a factory matched kit that looks awesome. Try doing a search for woodtrim on this site and you'll find Jason's 4runner interior or go to his site.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:38 AM

Or just remove it like I did. IMO, Black looks much better.

Use a hair dryer, or heat gun, and gloves.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wazioc
I'm going to buy a 4runner next weekend (bout time...) but it has a lot of sun damamge on the wood trim around the inside. Its a 1997 and I was wondering if anyone knew how easy or hard it would be to find some replacement trim at a junkyard or some aftermarket stuff perhaps. I've tried finding some aftermarket stuff to get a rough idea of how much it would cost, but couldnt seem to find any. Thanks for your help
Yea, the stock SR5 wood kits from Toyota are known to do this. I have some replacement kits that have a lifetime warranty and will not fade or crack and look even nicer than the Toyota kits. Check my sig.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To remove the factory wood trim in a Sr5. Heat the pieces with hairdryer and then start to pull at the edge, use dental floss to help on the edge.

Now, before you install the new wood or carbon trim...

Each piece needs to be carefully "dry-fit" to the dash. That is, put the piece in place BEFORE removing the 3M double stick adhesive on the back of each piece.

The pieces are initially quite stiff, but laying them out on your dashboard in the sun for 10 minutes will really soften them up. It's a good idea to warm them before you apply them to the dash! A hairdryer will also help.

Then, you'll need to use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to wipe off each part of the dash to clean it. Even if it looks clean, it can be dirty. You can also use 3M bug/tar remover from any auotparts store, but you only
need to use that is any type or armor-all or shiny protectant was used on your dash.

The Key step:

Remember again that the key to a good installation is patience. Each piece should be carefully fit in place after warming on your dashboard in the sun.

After you're convinced you have the pieces fitting properly, you'll need to PEEL off the backing.

Another tip: For all but the smallest pieces I recommend pulling off only 5-10% of the backing first. Then position that amount of the adhesive down on the dash and slowly peel off the rest of the adhesive as you carefully fit the piece in place. Then firmly press down each part of the wood cutout. If you do this for every piece, you can't mess it up!

Remember, once that adhesive is stuck down. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove. It's like trying to lift an elephant. That stuff STICKS!!!

You're done!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wazioc
It's not that hard to refinish these. I've been doing mine as the plastic delaminates and the refinish looks better than the original. I went to a lighter color that I like better and the urethane finish I used looks better that the heavy laminate. I can always touch up the urethane when needed.

If the plastic laminate layer over the wood just pulls off, that's great. Otherwise, a heat gun will help. Then you are left with a very thin layer of real wood--yes, it's REAL wood under that awful plastic. Sand it lightly--remember it's very thin--until the original stain is gone and the wood is smooth. Wipe off and stain your desired color with some MinWax wood stain. Then top with several coats of MinWax PolyUrethane or equivalent.

The vents and dash you have to do in place. The windows and center console you can remove from the truck.

Last edited by TheDurk; 11-12-2014 at 05:10 AM.