Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replacing axle with e-locker axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing axle with e-locker axle

Hey guys, I have used the search function to look for this question, but none of them seem to answer it directly. I am looking to get a whole new rear axle with an e-locker from a junk yard to replace my 4.10 geared axle. I have been told that this will be much easier than just replacing the third member.

Two questions:
1 - Can I use any axle from any year 3rd generation 4Runner, as long as it is the same gear ratio? I have a 3.4L V6 1998 with 4.10 gears.

2 - Approximately how much labor would this likely cost me for the axle swap? (Trying to see how much cheaper this option is compared to going all out for an ARB locker.)

Thanks ahead of time!
Kit

Last edited by ktincher; 01-06-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM

honestly, if you have a floor jack, some stands and tools, you should not pay anyone to do the swap for you. if the axle is out of a 4runner it will be an unbolt old, bolt on new. the wiring for the elocker is not something i'm familiar with, but i know there are plenty of write ups.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not sure but I would think you should be able to just swap the carrier in to your axle beings they are the same 3rd gen axles. If you have the same gear ratio it would be a plug and play except for the wiring and the switch mounting.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 AM

im pretty sure the 4runner did not come in 4.10 with the elocker. at least thats what ive been told by several toyota "experts" knowledgeable in this swap. i do in fact trust their knowledge.

that being said, you could buy a housing and a 4.10 locked third from a tacoma(what i did for my retrofit)

the modifications to a stock unlocked 3rd gen axle is difficult, but not impossible, just take your time, etc. if you dont know how to weld, you can have someone do it at a local machine shop/welder. the hardest part for me was taping the holes, and if you take your time to do it right, its pretty easy.

my final verdict: get an elocker axle, with no 3rd, get a 3rd out of a tacoma (these apply only if the 4.10 was never available in 4runner). this would be significantly easier than the modifications. as for the wiring, its simple, and you have a couple of choices. i used 4x4 wires schematic, and once i worked out all the bugs that I put into the system, it worked great!

arb air locker is 700-800 just for the locker, 100 for the compressor(around there), and 100-300 for install. you can find an elocker 3rd in good condition for under 600, and axle housing is no more than 300, and you can install it yourself with a wrench and socket set in an less than a day. i went the elocker route to say all toyota. guess its ultimately up to you.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 PM

What the crap are people talking about????????????

You could:
A) Get a whole e-locked axle assembly out of a 3rd gen 4runner that is 4.10 gearing. LIKE THE ONE THAT CAME ON MY 2000 V6 4RUNNER!!!
Which you would have to rely on that doner axle to be in good shape with no rust on the inside from being rained on in the junk yard, and you would have to hope that the damn thing is 4.10 gearing which is possible, but I think the chances of you finding one are slim. So that means re-gear+$$$$. But lets say you found an axle that was 4.10 geared and e-locked but the fluid was drained and the bearings are bad, well you are in the same boat and you will have to rebuild the whole thing which is $$$$$$$$!

B) Get an ARB locker for $700 bucks plus the $130 compressor and do it your self or send it off. If you buy a third and modify your axle you are spending $1000 dollars at least for a rebuilt third and cutting and welding the axle which would be a very expensive ordeal.

---I would say just keep the "good" axle that you have, and either put an ARB in it or just say screw the whole thing if you are worried about cost.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by 5-spd for life!
What the crap are people talking about????????????

You could:
A) Get a whole e-locked axle assembly out of a 3rd gen 4runner that is 4.10 gearing. LIKE THE ONE THAT CAME ON MY 2000 V6 4RUNNER!!!
Which you would have to rely on that doner axle to be in good shape with no rust on the inside from being rained on in the junk yard, and you would have to hope that the damn thing is 4.10 gearing which is possible, but I think the chances of you finding one are slim. So that means re-gear+$$$$. But lets say you found an axle that was 4.10 geared and e-locked but the fluid was drained and the bearings are bad, well you are in the same boat and you will have to rebuild the whole thing which is $$$$$$$$!

B) Get an ARB locker for $700 bucks plus the $130 compressor and do it your self or send it off. If you buy a third and modify your axle you are spending $1000 dollars at least for a rebuilt third and cutting and welding the axle which would be a very expensive ordeal.

---I would say just keep the "good" axle that you have, and either put an ARB in it or just say screw the whole thing if you are worried about cost.
OK, thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like there is, in fact, an e-locker made for 3rd Gen 4Runner 4.10 gear ratios. 5-speed for life (above) has one and I have found a salvage website that has several for sale.

SO, assuming they do indeed exist and that I can get an entire axle for an easier swap, what are the chances that the differential and third member is in good enough shape for the swap? What should I ask them to inspect before buying it and getting it shipped?

If I could get an entire axle with e-locker for under $500, do you think I could do a lot of the swap myself and minimize my labor costs to much less than $500?

Thanks in advance.
Kit
Old 01-06-2008, 01:36 PM

I would go to the salvage yard and make them some how prove that it is 4.10 gears. But if you can get them to do that, then I would check the pinion backlash. As with my stock e-locker axle, I have some nasty backlash which is caused by mild off-roading with that stupid OEM crush sleeve. When you are in a technical spot and put excess amounts of stress on your axle, you tend to crush that sleeve in a little more which in turn puts the pinion deeper into the third member.

What I am saying is if the gears are right and the axle looks ok and has lubricant of some sort in it and maybe low mileage, then simply take the pinion and give it a shake and if you hear a slight pause before the gears move, then that is something you might want to replace. It is fairly common on the 4runners and Tacomas with bigger than stock tires. Like I said I have 32 inch tires and have not been off-roading very much but I have some definate backlash to consider which I just have to baby it for a while till I do my SAC beacuse I will re-gear with 4.88 when I do so.

It is an easy fix if you know what you are doing...
http://trail-gear.com/images/solid-spacer-600.jpg

Trail gear and marlin crawler have them for around $20.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM

if the 3rd member is out of the axle, count the number of teeth on the ring gear (put a mark on one, i used a silver sharpie), spin it around and count. same for the pinion, your gear ratio will equal teeth on ring/teeth on pinion. for a 4.10 gear set, 10 gears on the pinion, 41 on the ring.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:00 PM

The elocked axle that I picked up was from a 97 5spd. 4runner that had 4:10 gears. The axle, including wiring from the locked to body was $500. I had Steve Schaffer install mine he had it for about 4 days (had to wait for some parts to motor on the locker to come in.)

If your able to find the axle with the wiring look into getting the inchworm control harness for it. It'd save you some time digging though the wiring in donor vehicle. Also, check on Steve's website for the axle codes.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

3.4L e-locker equipped 4runners w/auto transmissions will have 4:30's and the 5spds will have 4:10's.
I just bought one (drum to drum) that came from a '99 auto 4runner for $550...it has 4:30's. I didn't get the complete wiring harness so i plan to buy that from ORS.

If you find one from an auto, you could swap that in and just regear your front. The 4:30's would at least help restore some lost power from running larger tires.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
3.4L e-locker equipped 4runners w/auto transmissions will have 4:30's and the 5spds will have 4:10's.
I just bought one (drum to drum) that came from a '99 auto 4runner for $550...it has 4:30's. I didn't get the complete wiring harness so i plan to buy that from ORS.

If you find one from an auto, you could swap that in and just regear your front. The 4:30's would at least help restore some lost power from running larger tires.
Great idea on the 4.30's. I see you are from around here as well. Where did you end up getting that 4.30 axle? I have been looking around on car-part.com for a local place to save $$ on shipping.

So, another question, I understand that it is easier to replace the whole axle with differential and housing intact so you don't have to tap new holes in the housing, but if you had access to the assembly with the matching housing from another axle, could you easily replace the third member and the housing without the entire axle?

Thanks for all the great info.
Kit
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Ktincher, look on eBay! I bought one last week for $350!!!! A 4.30 e-locker with 68K miles! I had bid on another one a week earlier, but was outbid. It sold for $460 w/harness and switch also. Then a few days after I bought mine, the other seller sent me an email for a second chance offer. I just ck'd and it's gone , but ck on there. They come up quite a bit.

Edit: Inchworm is also a good place to get the other things needed.

Last edited by Djlarroc; 01-06-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

I actually ended up using a 4.30 diff and swapped a front with a 4.30. Gives a bit nicer ratio if you want to run slightly bigger tires.
They are also much more common to boot.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting a whole axle housing beats modifying your existing axle housing for the elocker anytime.

After you're done swapping the whole thing, send the truck to an alignment shop for an alignment report to see if the housing is bent :o
Old 01-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum. This forum looks like a real winner! I have also decided to look into putting an elocker into my 1996 4runner.

However, I have the 2.7l 4cyl which has the A03A differential which I believe means 7.5" ring gear, 4.10:1 ratio, 2 pinion.

My questions:
1. Would a "doner" elocker axle fit directly in my 4runner (driveshaft length, axle length, mounting hardware, brakes, etc...)
2. If not, would an elocker fit into my differential.
3. Is it really risky buying a junkyard axle due to junkyards usually drain all the fluids and perhaps the axle is left out in the weather?
4. How would I know what electrical wiring my 4runner already has (is part/all of the wiring harness already in the rig, but it is just not used).

Thanks for information you experienced folks leave,
Todd
Old 01-10-2008, 05:50 PM

Good write up here if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html

With the gear ratio's I don't know if this is true but I read that you can use your stock gears on the locker. I have no idea if that accurate or not. I hope it is cause it'll make putting 4.10s on my rig easier.

Good luck!!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM

isnt a 4runner non-locked axle a 8.4" housing and a third with a locker a 8"? I dont think you can just swap thirds and go.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 AM

No. Just a non locking Taco axle. 4runners have the 8" locked or not.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by pkt1213
No. Just a non locking Taco axle. 4runners have the 8" locked or not.
So, I still have my question: with the 4cylinder differential, is the axle the same, (axle casing, length and diameter of axles...)

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Someone correct me, well at least on the 4runners. I understand the the 4 cyl has an 8" rear because that's how you get the 4.56 locker.

I could be mistaken though.

Quick Reply: Replacing axle with e-locker axle