Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replacement for Securikey Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement for Securikey Alarm

Morning all,

Have a 97 4Runner with the Gulf States Securikey alarm as port installed option. Thing has stopped working and I want to replace it with a simple keyless entry basic alarm system.

Anybody have any recommendations? I'm guessing I can splice in the new alarm system harness to the 24-pin connector that plugs into at bottom of fuse box below fuses in driver's side lower dash.

Anyone have any tips?

thanks,
chris
Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM

I dont have that type alarm, but I have seen a lot of info online for that type. Your FOB still work or attempt to work?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the info. The key/fobs are working and are the 2nd or 3rd replacements I've ordered and programmed for the truck over the years. Both have new batteries, and red led lights up, just no response from truck.

The red led light on the shock sensor (by drivers footwall) is not lit, nor is the LED in the dash to the left of the steering wheel, with ignition on or off.

It's like the whole system is dead, and nothing working. I checked the harness and all the connections I could find, but still nothing. It's been installed and used since 1996 so I was thinking maybe it's time for a replacement anyway, hence my post to get any advice from folks that have done a similar switch-out of alarm systems.

Has anyone found any sort of inline fuse that toyota or port install put in, that might have blown or something you think?

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 PM

im not sure if the alarm has its own fuse, doubtful but possible. I just removed the toyota factory VIP alarm from my 97 4runner, and minus 3-4 wires i had to snip, it was basically a plug and play system that removed easily. the wires that i did have to snip were just t-tapped in so it was easy to cut them out and tape them off. The "siren" if you want to call it that is in the engine bay, close to the battery. you will have to cut the red and black wires going to it. you can find almost all of the wires you would need for an aftermarket alarm in the drivers kick harness, but if you want starter kill, you will have to get into the main ignition harness which is easily accesible once the lower dash covers are removed. I should have the wire colors somewhere in my garage since i just did the alarm 2 weeks ago, but if not i can grab them at work if you need them.

Are you looking to install it yourself or have it done at a shop? viper alarms are popular and pretty cheap, and if installed profesionnaly you get a lifetime warranty on them.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM

More related power lock window problems?

Well this is getting more strange. I'm not sure it is the alarm system causing the lack of locking and unlocking now.

As of this morning, the power locks (from key in driver's door, switch inside, or key fob are not working). the power windows are not working from anywhere or any switch inside the truck.

I'm thinking power fuse must have blown for power windows and door locks but not sure exactly where to look? Replaced the 30A pink one on top of fuse box inside truck on lower left dash, but nothing still working.

From searching google and many boards, folks are mentioning a 30A or 40A "Power: fuse/relay below steering column that I believe is different and separate from the inside fuse box?

Anyone have any help or ideas? I'm really at a loss here!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM

I would start by getting a 12v test light or multi-meter and probe the red wire at the main harness.

I believe it's red bc those are the cheap audiovox modules.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to dig into it with test light and DMM tonight and over weekend. At this point I'm wondering if my lack of power to windows and locks is the culprit, and the alarm system is OK? Sorry got two threads going on!

Thanks again for any help,
Chris
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 AM

Found a loose connector on fuse box that I prob. did while poking around. So have power locks and windows back, but securikey system is still not responding at all. Anyone have any simple one-way alarm system recommendations to swap out and get rid of the securikey (audiovox) system? Would appreciate any pointers from anyone that has attempted it!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Chris, I wish I could help you more but I cant. I have a TDS system and I would love to do away with it completely.I tried to do research on it and came up with little to nothing. I wonder if you could get the numbers off the box and contact Audiovox for a replacement.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 PM

No worries! Thanks for the time responding. I'm still surfing Ebay looking for a simple alarm replacement system to put in. If anyone has any suggestions that come up, please feel free to post them! Have a great weekend everyone,
Chris
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Anyone else had any success removing the Audiovox (Securikey) system in these trucks, and replacing with another aftermarket system? Figured someone must have done it! :-) Just wanted to see before I bought a new alarm system.

Thanks again everyone.
Chris
Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 AM

I have diagnose and upgrade to another unit.

Alarm installation is pretty easy task. A lot of ppl can do it.

bulldogsecurity.com for alarm and remote start diagram.

lmk if you need help.